No announcement yet.

Fiber does it count as calories/carbs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fiber does it count as calories/carbs?

Someone give me the info on this because I have searched and cannot find a firm answer.

Does fiber count toward calories (carbs) or not?

Example. A Quest bar might have 20 grams of fiber, 20 grams of protein, 5 grams of carbs and zero fat. Simple math would indicate that bar would be worth 180 total calories. BUT, if the fiber cannot be digested why would those calories count? Shouldn't it be 100 calories?

In another extreme example, if you fasted for day but had nothing but water and 50 grams of fiber would you have eating 200 calories or 0 calories?

Hopefully you see where I am going with this. Some labels deduct the fiber from total calorie count but others factor it in.

PART II. So many of these protein bars use some type of alcohol based sweetener they claim is not a "net" carb so they do not count it. It is said this is the same type of alcohol in booze. So using their theory, if you drank nothing but vodka (not many fillers, almost pure alcohol) would those calories count? I understand if you add juice or a mixer to it obviously it changes the composition of the drink. But, just vodka for example where almost all the calories come from the alcohol (7 calories per gram) but allegedly it cannot be digested, would the calories still count? If you cannot digest them why would they count?
    Swaminator
    Intense Muscle Competitor
    Last edited by Swaminator; 05-29-2015, 08:37 PM.
    Family Guy but also; Old School SoCal, punk rock loving, powerlifting, hardcore gym rat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtLQ73EutoY

Quest bars
    SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

Net carbs are more about insulin levels than they are about calories. I count all the calories from fiber.

Remember there is soluble and insoluble fiber as well, soluble is going to have a normal calorie count just like any other carb.
      Owner of 316FIT and Team Skip Approved Trainer

Instagram: @jaredragsdale
      FB: www.fb.com/jared.ragsdale
      www.316fit.com
      Email: [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by LG1 View Post
        Quest bars
        lol

No shit.

I would love to see a true and accurate label of a Quest Bar. I personally think they are absolute JUNK. No offense, at all, to the OP. I am just being honest.

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
        Instagram: @intensemuscle
        YouTube: TEAMSKIP
        TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Originally posted by Ken "Skip" Hill View Post
          lol

No shit.

I would love to see a true and accurate label of a Quest Bar. I personally think they are absolute JUNK. No offense, at all, to the OP. I am just being honest.

Skip

Have you ever tried their protein chips???

Comment

lol

No shit.

Skip
            I am not a sweets guy so I rarely eat any protein bar, but (based on the label) that one seemed to be the best. Has it been discovered their label is inaccurate? I think I first learned about them by seeing an ad on this website, but I could be wrong. I do eat the chips though and those are very good in taste. Curious about the label on those now. I know this is off-topic but now you have me second guessing.
            Family Guy but also; Old School SoCal, punk rock loving, powerlifting, hardcore gym rat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtLQ73EutoY

Comment

I wouldn't mind further elaboration on the bars. I don't care for Quest, but do like a similar product made by another company. I also first heard of Quest on here through Doberman, I believe.

Comment

lol

No shit.

Skip
                You shut your mouth, we sell 700+ boxes of quest bars a month to all of the housewives in Wichita and Denver.
                Owner of 316FIT and Team Skip Approved Trainer

Instagram: @jaredragsdale
                FB: www.fb.com/jared.ragsdale
                www.316fit.com
                Email: [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Swaminator View Post
                  I am not a sweets guy so I rarely eat any protein bar, but (based on the label) that one seemed to be the best. Has it been discovered their label is inaccurate? I think I first learned about them by seeing an ad on this website, but I could be wrong. I do eat the chips though and those are very good in taste. Curious about the label on those now. I know this is off-topic but now you have me second guessing.

No carbs on the quest chips

Comment

Oligosaccharides. Look those up. The massive amounts of "fiber" in quest bars are largely due to Oligosaccharides. They are basically complex sugars that the human body doesn't assimilate well. Since they aren't "absorbed" as a sugar... it can be called a dietary fiber.

Quest has come under scrutiny for this, because they are "getting away" with listing it as a dietary fiber, making their labels look more appealing.

What I have written above is very abbreviated, and only part of the story. You can find articles out there about the subject.

I don't have a dog in this fight. I eat the occasional quest bar... but I have never understood the cult following, nor the "it's tasty healthfood" mentality.
                    My intro thread: http://intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=49855

Comment

Originally posted by MyTMouse View Post
                      Oligosaccharides. Look those up. The massive amounts of "fiber" in quest bars are largely due to Oligosaccharides. They are basically complex sugars that the human body doesn't assimilate well. Since they aren't "absorbed" as a sugar... it can be called a dietary fiber.

Quest has come under scrutiny for this, because they are "getting away" with listing it as a dietary fiber, making their labels look more appealing.

What I have written above is very abbreviated, and only part of the story. You can find articles out there about the subject.

I don't have a dog in this fight. I eat the occasional quest bar... but I have never understood the cult following, nor the "it's tasty healthfood" mentality.
                      OK that was very informative thank you. I was thinking the fiber in those bars was soluable fiber (the good stuff for us older guys). Apparently not.

So moving on from Quest to fiber in general. I still cannot figure out how the calories work. If you eat a product high in fiber, why is it some labels do not count it toward calories and others do? It seems this is a labeling thing, because food is food.

Comment

I don't know the exact answer to that one, sorry. I tried to look up food labeling guidelines, but all of it was about the "health claims" of fiber.

This may help you a bit. http://www.wisegeekhealth.com/do-fib...#didyouknowout

Comment

There are various ways that calories can be calculated and the inclusion of fiber on nutrient labels is voluntary. The numbers need not add up in a sensical way, actually (legally speaking; see below).

Also, fiber my not be absorbed per se, but it can be a source for fermentation into short chain fatty acids (such as butyric acid), which are then absorbed and used a fuel (http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...05049187904330 )

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx...01_19&rgn=div8

(i) Caloric content may be calculated by the following methods. Where either specific or general food factors are used, the factors shall be applied to the actual amount (i.e., before rounding) of food components (e.g., fat, carbohydrate, protein, or ingredients with specific food factors) present per serving.

(A) Using specific Atwater factors (i. e., the Atwater method) given in Table 13, “Energy Value of Foods—Basis and Derivation,” by A. L. Merrill and B. K. Watt, United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Handbook No. 74 (slightly revised, 1973), which is incorporated by reference in accordance with 5 U.S.C. 552(a) and 1 CFR part 51 and is available from the Office of Nutritional Products, Labeling and Dietary Supplements (HFS-800), Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition, Food and Drug Administration, 5100 Paint Branch Pkwy., College Park, MD 20740, or may be inspected at the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA). For information on the availability of this material at NARA, call 202-741-6030, or go to: http://www.archives.gov/federal_regi...cations.html.;

(B) Using the general factors of 4, 4, and 9 calories per gram for protein, total carbohydrate, and total fat, respectively, as described in USDA Handbook No. 74 (slightly revised 1973) pp. 9-11, which is incorporated by reference in accordance with 5 U.S.C. 552(a) and 1 CFR part 51 (the availability of this incorporation by reference is given in paragraph (c)(1)(i)(A) of this section);

(C) Using the general factors of 4, 4, and 9 calories per gram for protein, total carbohydrate less the amount of insoluble dietary fiber, and total fat, respectively, as described in USDA Handbook No. 74 (slightly revised 1973) pp. 9-11, which is incorporated by reference in accordance with 5 U.S.C. 552(a) and 1 CFR part 51 (the availability of this incorporation by reference is given in paragraph (c)(1)(i)(A) of this section;

(D) Using data for specific food factors for particular foods or ingredients approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and provided in parts 172 or 184 of this chapter, or by other means, as appropriate; or

(E) Using bomb calorimetry data subtracting 1.25 calories per gram protein to correct for incomplete digestibility, as described in USDA Handbook No. 74 (slightly revised 1973) p. 10, which is incorporated by reference in accordance with 5 U.S.C. 552(a) and 1 CFR part 51 (the availability of this incorporation by reference is given in paragraph (c)(1)(i)(A) of this section).
                          (i) “Dietary fiber”: A statement of the number of grams of total dietary fiber in a serving, indented and expressed to the nearest gram, except that if a serving contains less than 1 gram, declaration of dietary fiber is not required or, alternatively, the statement “Contains less than 1 gram” or “less than 1 gram” may be used, and if the serving contains less than 0.5 gram, the content may be expressed as zero. Except as provided for in paragraph (f) of this section, if dietary fiber content is not required and as a result, not declared, the statement “Not a significant source of dietary fiber” shall be placed at the bottom of the table of nutrient values in the same type size.

(A) “Soluble fiber” (VOLUNTARY): A statement of the number of grams of soluble dietary fiber in a serving may be declared voluntarily except when a claim is made on the label or in labeling about soluble fiber, label declaration shall be required. Soluble fiber content shall be indented under dietary fiber and expressed to the nearest gram, except that if a serving contains less than 1 gram, the statement “Contains less than 1 gram” or “less than 1 gram” may be used as an alternative, and if the serving contains less than 0.5 gram, the content may be expressed as zero.

(B) “Insoluble fiber” (VOLUNTARY): A statement of the number of grams of insoluble dietary fiber in a serving may be declared voluntarily except that when a claim is made on the label or in labeling about insoluble fiber, label declaration shall be required. Insoluble fiber content shall be indented under dietary fiber and expressed to the nearest gram except that if a serving contains less than 1 gram, the statement “Contains less than 1 gram” or “less than 1 gram” may be used as an alternative, and if the serving contains less than 0.5 gram, the content may be expressed as zero.
                          -S
                          The Book Has Arrived!
                          The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
                          2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
                          2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

Aight...clear as mud. LOL. I get the gist of it though. My biggest takeaway is that mislabeling of the Quest bars related specifically to fiber. I really like their chips so I hope those aren't mysteriously labeled too.

Comment

Aight...clear as mud. LOL. I get the gist of it though. My biggest takeaway is that mislabeling of the Quest bars related specifically to fiber. I really like their chips so I hope those aren't mysteriously labeled too.
                              Yea, and "mislabeling" is kind of subjective, because they really haven't broken any rules there. I'll still stick to getting my fibers from grains and veggies, though.

Comment

Working...
                              X