Fasted cardio and abs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fasted cardio and abs

Looking at an addition to my current routine to help out, and was looking for some opinions.Looking at Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday fasted cardio of 30-45 mins on the row machine at a steady pace, or seated bike (running is a damn no-go with my knees). Then after finishing the cardio tossing in some incline situps, weight shuffle planks, and knee raises.

If my ideas are way the hell off base of a good idea please help me get going in the right direction. Looking to build up my core, trunk, abdominal, whatever the currently acceptable phrase is for the area from my chest to my hips is called these days and to lose some fat.

J
    "No man ever won a war by dieing for his county. He did it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his."

George Patton

Get your Protein where the real men get theirs, TrueProtein.com

5% off with Dicount code JNR490, and 10% off orders over 10 lbs!!!

I've been doing a little fasted cardio lately and I really like it. Works well with my schedule and I don't lack energy to complete it. I think it's a good tool to kick things into gear if non fasted cardio isn't working well with a good diet.

As for abs, I like what Skip has said. You should be doing something that allows you to progress. So the ab crunch machine is a good choice because of the weight stack. I'm also a big fan of planks because they have done wonders for my low back pain.

Incline sit ups I don't like because too many people use their hip flexors and very little abdominal muscle. If you bent at the back and not the hips then it works but it's hard to do.

Leg raises are good but it's still a matter of what muscle you are using. Hip flexors work a lot more if done like everyone tends to to them.

Remember those abs won't show if the body fat is still there. And you can't spot reduce. I think you're smart enough to know that one.

Good luck!

True Nutrition Discount: SRC745
    *2006 USAPL Washington State Powerlifting Championships- 1st, 14-16 age-148lb class -2nd Men's Open 148lb class
    •2x WABDL Worlds Runner Up - Teens 16-17 165lb
    *Former WABDL Teen 16-17 165lb World Record Bench Holder (Washington state record) of 396.6lbs

Comment

Thanks for the tips and well wishes.

I don't expect the abs to show through, and if they do, it won't be any time soon. However the lack of a stable base is dangerous, and can signifigantly inhibit proper form and progress.

I will look more for skip's tips on abs since I somehow did not think to look for that (like a damn noob).

Thanks again!

J
      "No man ever won a war by dieing for his county. He did it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his."

George Patton

Comment

I will echo what Collabera said about having to focus on targeting or (dare I say) "isolating" the abs to get the best look. But to build core strength, I think you are using some very good supplemental exercises. The hip flexors are involved in stability of the trunk, and are important.

Don't forget that your compound movements are going to help there, as well. Standing overhead presses, squats, deadlifts, etc.

Remember that you need to look at the total picture, and I think the exercises you have chosen are best viewed as "supplemental" exercises. Which it seems you are already thinking that way. I think you're on a good track, searching for some training tips from the more experienced guys out there. Good luck to you.
        My intro thread: http://intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=49855

Comment

I'm with MyTMouse... build your core through heavy squats, deads, standing presses. I have very thick, pronounced abs when I get into contest shape, and all the "normal" people that don't know anything about training say, "Jesus, you must do about a thousand sit ups a day". I love the deer in the headlights look they have when I tell them I haven't done a sit up since 4th grade gym class. LOL!
          "It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument." -William G. McAdoo

Comment

I am slowly adding in squats and doing stiff legged DL's (in the smith machine mind you) and doing so with caution. I have bad knees that I train around, and I think these compund moves would be key to getting better growth. I appreciate the tips, well wishes and encouragement. Please feel free to keep the ideas coming as this right here helps me in formulating a plan.

J

George Patton

Comment

Front squats on the smith.
              SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

For abs, I like some of the leg raise machines if your gym has them. These tend to help take out the hip flexors. I also like cable crunches, ab wheel roll-outs, planks, v-ups, vacuum holds, captains chair leg raises and knee pull-ins (weighted if you can).

My preference is to do one day heavy (weighted stuff, 10-12 reps or so) and then one day light (high rep non-weighted stuff) and on both days I include something for my transverse. I'll pick 3-4 exercises and do them in a circuit format
                Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
                2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
                2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Originally posted by LG1 View Post
                  Front squats on the smith.

With the 5* forward tilt that sounds nutty at first.

Might help though.

J

George Patton

Comment

Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
                    For abs, I like some of the leg raise machines if your gym has them. These tend to help take out the hip flexors. I also like cable crunches, ab wheel roll-outs, planks, v-ups, vacuum holds, captains chair leg raises and knee pull-ins (weighted if you can).

My preference is to do one day heavy (weighted stuff, 10-12 reps or so) and then one day light (high rep non-weighted stuff) and on both days I include something for my transverse. I'll pick 3-4 exercises and do them in a circuit format

Always a fan of the planks, CPT's chair, etc but never done the cable crunch. Also what is a vaccuum hold?

J

George Patton

Comment

Originally posted by Godsmack View Post
                      Always a fan of the planks, CPT's chair, etc but never done the cable crunch. Also what is a vaccuum hold?

J
                      This article has some insight https://www.t-nation.com/training/be...-smaller-waist

I just do the standard vacuum pose (See Frank Zane - https://cityboymuscle.files.wordpres...acum_poser.jpg )

and hold it for a a given amount of time, then release, then repeat. You can do that for something like 20-30 seconds to start, rest and repeat and do that for 4-5 sets.
                      Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
                      2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
                      2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Originally posted by Godsmack View Post
                        With the 5* forward tilt that sounds nutty at first.

Might help though.

J

Just started doing them and liking them. More focus on targeted muscle and mind muscle connection than worrying about the weights rolling off my shoulders/collar bone
                        SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

Originally posted by LG1 View Post
                          Just started doing them and liking them. More focus on targeted muscle and mind muscle connection than worrying about the weights rolling off my shoulders/collar bone
                          Next week is the cruise so I may try them at a light weight to see how the motion feels.

J

George Patton

Comment

Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
                            This article has some insight https://www.t-nation.com/training/be...-smaller-waist

I just do the standard vacuum pose (See Frank Zane - https://cityboymuscle.files.wordpres...acum_poser.jpg )

and hold it for a a given amount of time, then release, then repeat. You can do that for something like 20-30 seconds to start, rest and repeat and do that for 4-5 sets.

Damn good info there. Thanks Kris!!!

J

George Patton

Comment

A lot of talk about abs. Not a lot of people doing cardio I guess haha

True Nutrition Discount: SRC745
                              *2006 USAPL Washington State Powerlifting Championships- 1st, 14-16 age-148lb class -2nd Men's Open 148lb class
                              •2x WABDL Worlds Runner Up - Teens 16-17 165lb
                              *Former WABDL Teen 16-17 165lb World Record Bench Holder (Washington state record) of 396.6lbs

Comment

Working...
                              X