• Show
Clear All

• Want big legs?...Cycle... ;)

Squats? Pshhhh...

Max Muscle
    5020 Katella Ave.
    Los Alamitos, CA 90720
    www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

I'm willing to bet this guy is like 5'4...

Comment

That is a sprint cycler, though. Big difference.

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
      Instagram: @intensemuscle
      YouTube: TEAMSKIP
      TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Dude has monster legs. It adds to my belief that extremely high reps for legs build mass. I was a powerlifter and low rep guy for a couple decades. I could squat 3x bodyweight but my legs were...meh...thin. When I started hitting sets of 30-40 or 50 I added mass to the quads. A sprint cyclist is channeling max intensity PLUS high volume (lots of reps).
        Family Guy but also; Old School SoCal, punk rock loving, powerlifting, hardcore gym rat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtLQ73EutoY

Comment

I think the fact he doubles 500 with a close stance, and 460 for 10, also helps a lot :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oV_yDdZYXA
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zrtZe5Twy0
          "If you're ready to do DC, you're not gonna give a flying f*(k about fatigue from the previous exercise. You get under the bar and kill it, each and every time." - homonunculus

"Nothing better than coming to IM and seeing a Wall of Text next to that big Tricep pic." - Lonnie123

“Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.” - Homer

The scale doesn't show a number. When he steps on it, it simply reads: Big Mother Fucker. - Skip

Comment

^^this!!

Remember, sprint cycling is his SPORT...NOT exclusively how he trains...

Another example of a quad dominant sport would be speed skaters.

Guaranteed, heavy squats are a HUGE part of their resistance training regime.

Unfortunately, the specifics of both these sports leave the upper body WAY UNDERDEVELOPED because it's undesirable for maximum competitive advantage but creates a drastic imbalance in the body.

I wonder how this imbalance affects them in their daily life...or the longevity of their health later in life...just curious.
            Last edited by gsop_3; 04-10-2015, 09:12 PM.
            Unless a man undertakes more than he can possibly do, he will never do all he can.

Unfathomable progress is the result of consistent, daily steps toward a single goal

Comment

I am sure there is a genetic component as well.. heh

Originally posted by Swaminator View Post
              I could squat 3x bodyweight but my legs were...meh...thin.
              You raw squatted 3x your bodyweight and had no legs?

Comment

Wow!! Interesting, definitely looks like the speed skater too

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                "This is your life. It is the only one you get. So no excuses, and no do-overs. If you make a mistake or fail at something you learn from it, you get over it and you move on. Your job is to be the very best person you can be and to never settle for anything less."
                ~ Ann Richards, former TX governor

Comment

Originally posted by Imprezivr6 View Post
                  I am sure there is a genetic component as well.. heh

You raw squatted 3x your bodyweight and had no legs?
                  Sorry for the confusion. Never said "raw" squat. I did an equipped 485 @ 160lbs. Raw was 455 @ 175. Legs were not impressive in either scenario. Bigger now once I added many many more reps. Not nearly as "strong" though.
                  Family Guy but also; Old School SoCal, punk rock loving, powerlifting, hardcore gym rat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtLQ73EutoY

Comment

I joined my first gym just over 30 years ago. I was 16 and that was the minimum age to join. I was greeted by a female trainer who worked at the gym who had quads bigger than just about every guy in the gym. Chris Porter. She was a speed skater who took up bodybuilding. This was 1984. Check out her quads after only a few years of lifting. These stumps were built on speed skating. (BTW I have no idea what happened to her and why she didn't pursue bodybuilding...she was a beast)

Comment

This guy should be pictured next to your average 'whats legs day' guy.

J
                      "No man ever won a war by dieing for his county. He did it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his."

George Patton

Get your Protein where the real men get theirs, TrueProtein.com

5% off with Dicount code JNR490, and 10% off orders over 10 lbs!!!

Comment

Well guys I do believe it's mostly genetics.

Back when I was a gymnast we were told NOT to train legs... I got big legs anyway from jumping and running while my upper-body stayed behind. (Trying to find a pic)

A good example that might fit this discussion better:

https://instagram.com/p/0-qHOMrMVf/

Flex Lewis' brother. Professional Rugby player, more than likely trains like his fellows team mates, but he has big ass quads. The same could be said of Robert Forstermann. If there's a benefit to squatting that transfers to speed cycling, you can bet your ass other cyclists are doing it... but only Forstermann gets to be quadzilla.

I'm not saying speed skating and cycling won't obviously tax your quads, but I do think genetics are a good part of it.

EDIT: Shit, this is comming from a guy that doesn't believe in genetics, fuck.
                        "If you're ready to do DC, you're not gonna give a flying f*(k about fatigue from the previous exercise. You get under the bar and kill it, each and every time." - homonunculus

"Nothing better than coming to IM and seeing a Wall of Text next to that big Tricep pic." - Lonnie123

“Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.” - Homer

The scale doesn't show a number. When he steps on it, it simply reads: Big Mother Fucker. - Skip

Comment

Originally posted by 0001Delta View Post
                          I'm not saying speed skating and cycling won't obviously tax your quads, but I do think genetics are a good part of it.

EDIT: Shit, this is comming from a guy that doesn't believe in genetics, fuck.
                          Another way of saying the same thing applied exclusively to bodybuilding is that while a lot of people could try to train legs like Tom Platz, very few can get close to having quads like his.

Comment

god damn time to add sprint cycling to my leg routine

Comment

Want big legs? .....squat...

Comment

Working...
                              X