Breaking down of nutrients by cooking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breaking down of nutrients by cooking

Is there a signifigant break down in nutritional value when cooking meats, or vegetables? What about if cooking with things such as alcohols for flavor?

I ask because I do enjoy injecting chicken breats with hard apple cider. The sugar and carb content per bottle is a bit high, but not god awful.

J
    "No man ever won a war by dieing for his county. He did it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his."

George Patton

Get your Protein where the real men get theirs, TrueProtein.com

5% off with Dicount code JNR490, and 10% off orders over 10 lbs!!!

"injecting chicken breats with hard apple cider"

is this some new lingo?? :sammich:

Comment

Cooking food denatures all the protein in it, so that none of it is bioavailable. If you cook meat, you will get zero protein from it. Similarly, if you boil oats or cook potatoes then your body won't be able to use the carbs in them. The only way to maximize the nutrients you get from food is to eat it exactly as it is when you first see it. If you do anything at all to prepare it, it loses all its nutritional value.
      Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
      kind of a douche

Comment

Originally posted by Sammich View Post
        Cooking food denatures all the protein in it, so that none of it is bioavailable. If you cook meat, you will get zero protein from it. Similarly, if you boil oats or cook potatoes then your body won't be able to use the carbs in them. The only way to maximize the nutrients you get from food is to eat it exactly as it is when you first see it. If you do anything at all to prepare it, it loses all its nutritional value.

Even when cooked rare as hell?

J
        "No man ever won a war by dieing for his county. He did it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his."

George Patton

Get your Protein where the real men get theirs, TrueProtein.com

5% off with Dicount code JNR490, and 10% off orders over 10 lbs!!!

Comment

i'm pretty sure he's exaggerating. i'm pretty sure the answer is it's negligible/not worth tracking unless you cook it until its black

Comment

Originally posted by Godsmack View Post
            Even when cooked rare as hell?

J
            He's yanking your chain Godsmack....

Cooking food won't inherently change the nutritional value but things like alcohol, when heated to a certain temperature evaporate, Additionally, you can cook the fat off some foods depending on the cooking method.

For example, if you make a reduction using red wine, most of the actual alcohol will cook off as the reduction reaches its final consistency. Grilling food reduces the fat content and a lot of fat drips off...

In your case, I would say that a good amount of alcohol content and all of the sugar content are still contained in the food because it is absorbed into the meat. Not 100% sure about the alcohol, but I would bet most of the sugar is still there as it does not evaporate
            Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
            2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
            2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Working...
            X