lifting around injuries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lifting around injuries

do any of you try to do this? i'm not saying lifting with the injury, but around it. i have a sprained wrist and thus cannot hold or push anything heavy if my hands are involved (removes most exercises).

I can still squat, maybe play around with some machines but it seems its mostly lower body or core that i can work.

just curious if anyone's ever found a way to avoid complete stopping of training by being creative yet safe

Was dealing with some nagging tendonitis in my elbow for quite a while and ironically, the therapy suggestion I got for it was to keep using it through full range of motion but with much lighter weights. Needed support in the beginning but I'll be damned if it didn't do the trick.

Sprain is trickier. Especially in the wrist. If you went in to get that treated, I'm sure they'd tell you the last thing you want to do is lift heavy with it.

Comment

good point. wrist is like all ligaments/tendons so high rep low weight for blood flow might not be as effective for rehab. thinking about wrist wrapping and doing flies and such

Comment

I may be misreading your post - not sure if you want to discuss specifically your situation, or more in general. If you meant specifically, please disregard the rest...

I've never had to work around a wrist injury, but in general, definitely I find ways to work around injuries when necessary. I think we all do if we stay involved in lifting long enough.

I've had knee surgeries requiring a brace for many weeks hip to ankle, and trained upper body, core and unilateral leg work for the other leg. With a shoulder injury I couldn't press for several weeks, but trained everything else, which fortunately included flyes and lateral raises so the chest/shoulders got some work. To this day, I have to be creative with legs to get any work for them.
        Last edited by phoenix13; 03-10-2015, 12:06 PM.
        2014 Greater Gulf States 2nd WPD Class B
        2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW
        2009 Houston Pro/Am 1st LHW & Overall (Am)
        2008 Jr. Nationals 5th LHW
        2007 Greater Gulf States 1st LHW
        2007 LA Championships 1st LHW & Overall

Comment

Originally posted by greensoup View Post
          good point. wrist is like all ligaments/tendons so high rep low weight for blood flow might not be as effective for rehab. thinking about wrist wrapping and doing flies and such
          Do you have access to a cable strap attachment (see pic)? You could strap it near where you wear a watch or higher if needed, and still do some cable curls, tricep extensions, lateral raises, ...really a lot of upper body movements could be modified this way.
          Attached Files
          2014 Greater Gulf States 2nd WPD Class B
          2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW
          2009 Houston Pro/Am 1st LHW & Overall (Am)
          2008 Jr. Nationals 5th LHW
          2007 Greater Gulf States 1st LHW
          2007 LA Championships 1st LHW & Overall

Comment

Originally posted by phoenix13 View Post
            Do you have access to a cable strap attachment (see pic)? You could strap it near where you wear a watch or higher if needed, and still do some cable curls, tricep extensions, lateral raises, ...really a lot of upper body movements could be modified this way.
            i don't but this is a great idea!

Comment

Working...
            X