heart racing hours after eating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heart racing hours after eating

not sure if this is normal but i chowed down an XL pizza about 2-3 hrs ago. i was lying down just resting and i could feel the vibrations of my body against the bed beating like 2x per second. sets me at a 120 heart rate. is this normal occurence?? 120 is really high

That is high but it's not much higher than the upper normal range. But yeah, that describes me as well. Food is a metabolic stimulator plus your entire digestive tract wakes up and all of it needs an increased blood supply to function under this increased demand.

Comment

Originally posted by greensoup View Post
      not sure if this is normal but i chowed down an XL pizza

Comment

A resting HR of 120 is by no means "normal" I have never heard of pizza induced tachycardia either, unless you got crack cocaine toppings that is. You will have to elaborate a bit more about yourself, are there any other contributing factors you would like to add? what is your normal resting HR? any medical problems? etc..etc..
        Last edited by jeffro; 03-03-2015, 09:50 AM.

Comment

A Google search will show you it's not that uncommon but I'd like to know what your resting heart rate is normally. 120bpm is I little too high for my liking.

"Like the many physiological changes that accompany swallowing and digestion, an increase in your pulse is usually a natural side-effect of eating."

"a small increase in heart rate can be seen from the changes in blood flow as you begin to digest a meal."

"
          It is normal to get an increased heart rate after a meal as the heart has to pump more blood to the stomach. The bigger the meal, the more the stomach has to digest and the faster the heartbeats."
          Last edited by armoredvan; 03-03-2015, 11:48 AM.

Comment

When I overeat, my HR is elevated to the point that it is distracting if at rest.

Emphasis on overeat.
            2014 Greater Gulf States 2nd WPD Class B
            2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW
            2009 Houston Pro/Am 1st LHW & Overall (Am)
            2008 Jr. Nationals 5th LHW
            2007 Greater Gulf States 1st LHW
            2007 LA Championships 1st LHW & Overall

Comment

Originally posted by phoenix13 View Post
              When I overeat, my HR is elevated to the point that it is distracting if at rest.

Emphasis on overeat.
              interesting, I have fed my face to the point of being very uncomfortable on several occasions, but have never felt like my heart was racing.

Comment

just did a quick test using the pulse on my wrist, 20 beats in 20 seconds. so maybe ~60BPM? i guess im back to normal now so it must have been the giant meal, loads of sodium or loads of fat.

yes it was an XL 7 topping pizza from papa john's with 1-2 garlic butter cups. i live in LA so every day the lakers play, LAKERS50 code gets us 50% off entire order. its 30% bigger than a large. ends up being 10$ and 4000 calories :o

im also on sauce right now but idk if that matters in regards to blood related things.

i ALWAYS foodcoma after a big meal but this was the first time i paid attention to the beat frequency. i eat 1-2x a day but large meals.

Comment

My heart will bound quite a bit when I overdo it with Americanized Chinese food.

Now that I think about it, isn't the "meat sweats" phenomenon due to this same reaction?

On a semi-related note, anyone else experience this: I can eat a very large amount of steak tips, bacon, sausage, even a large meat-covered pizza, anything that's loaded with saturated animal fats and I WILL wake up with a (sorry, embarrassing) rock hard erection.

It's happened so many times I can predict it without fail. I even tell my wife what to expect : )
                  Last edited by armoredvan; 03-03-2015, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by phoenix13 View Post

Emphasis on overeat.
                    overeat AND high sodium.
                    -KidRok-
                    "...because I won't accept that I can't."

www.https://Truenutrition.com/
                    5% OFF with Discount Code "FXL222"

https://www.facebook.com/hopsfitnessxl

Comment

Originally posted by Hop View Post
                      overeat AND high sodium.
                      I've noticed the same thing with big ol' cheat-ish meals, also. I always chalked it up to eating a lot of carbs. You're saying it's the combo of large quantities *and* high sodium?
                      Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
                      kind of a douche

Comment

Originally posted by Sammich View Post
                        I've noticed the same thing with big ol' cheat-ish meals, also. I always chalked it up to eating a lot of carbs. You're saying it's the combo of large quantities *and* high sodium?
                        For me, absolutely. If I eat a lot of anything high sodium I can feel my heart thumping hard in my chest and head. Of course I have HBP ad am on meds for it so that may make me more sensitive to that combination.
                        -KidRok-
                        "...because I won't accept that I can't."

www.https://Truenutrition.com/
                        5% OFF with Discount Code "FXL222"

https://www.facebook.com/hopsfitnessxl

Comment

i've always had low blood pressure but i haven't checked in months and have since gained ~20-25 lb so i'll see if there's any correlation

Comment

Personal experience with eating an entire Dominos pizza with a liter-a-cola is a high HR but nothing near 120bpm. It is especially noticeable when I become relaxed. Did you actually measure your HR with something, count it yourself, or are you just guessing?

True Nutrition Discount: SRC745
                            *2006 USAPL Washington State Powerlifting Championships- 1st, 14-16 age-148lb class -2nd Men's Open 148lb class
                            •2x WABDL Worlds Runner Up - Teens 16-17 165lb
                            *Former WABDL Teen 16-17 165lb World Record Bench Holder (Washington state record) of 396.6lbs

Comment

Originally posted by Collabera View Post
                              Personal experience with eating an entire Dominos pizza with a liter-a-cola is a high HR but nothing near 120bpm. It is especially noticeable when I become relaxed. Did you actually measure your HR with something, count it yourself, or are you just guessing?
                              i didnt measure but i was coutning/guessing in my mental haze of fatness

trying to remember the tempo again, might be ~100bpm instead of 120bpm

it's really weird that 1 second passes a LOT faster than i remembered

Comment

Working...
                              X