injured wrist possibilities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• injured wrist possibilities

my wrist hurts more than yesterday (back day with deads, rack deads, and pulldowns). must have exacerbated the issue. the first time i felt this was last week after back day as well, same exercises. during rack deads, i could feel the weight slipping out of the strap a little bit and i couldn't fully hold it in my hands, the weight dropping about an inch or so. the next day there was a minor wrist pain but i ignored it because it didn't seem serious. did chest day and then 2 days off after that first day.

this is on my left hand. if i extend my wrist (rather than 'curling' it) and rotate my thumb side of the hand forward, i can feel the pain on the outside (below the pinky where the wrist is aka that outward bony protrusion of the wrist). basically any rotation on my wrist in a circle i can feel it if it stresses or stretches that side.

there is no swelling.

i am not sure if this is a ligament or a tendon issue since i do not know much about them. most of the time i'm more wary of muscular injuries such as tears and such but neglected learning about ligaments and tendons.

any idea what i should do? ice doesn't seem appropriate since there is no swelling. i will be resting today obviously as much as i don't like skipping workouts.

That bony protrusion you speak of is called the styloid process of the ulna. You have a pretty huge ligament that connects your ulna to the carpal bones of the hand, more specifically the triquetrum and part of the lunate carpal bones. This ligament is called your TFCC, or triangular fibrocartilage complex and is very often torn, pinched, or irritated. I would start by doing research and looking into this.

Comment

thanks for the info jeober. torn ligaments dont sound fun since they never heal on their own i heard >

Comment

Originally posted by jeober View Post
        That bony protrusion you speak of is called the styloid process of the ulna. You have a pretty huge ligament that connects your ulna to the carpal bones of the hand, more specifically the triquetrum and part of the lunate carpal bones. This ligament is called your TFCC, or triangular fibrocartilage complex and is very often torn, pinched, or irritated. I would start by doing research and looking into this.
        Yeah, what he said.

True Nutrition Discount: SRC745
        *2006 USAPL Washington State Powerlifting Championships- 1st, 14-16 age-148lb class -2nd Men's Open 148lb class
        •2x WABDL Worlds Runner Up - Teens 16-17 165lb
        *Former WABDL Teen 16-17 165lb World Record Bench Holder (Washington state record) of 396.6lbs

Comment

Im in with the other guys: research that a bit.

For the time being, assuming there is no swelling/visible inflammation, blood flow is your friend. A little tiger balm or something like it may do wonders for your comfort level, and may even help in the healing process.
          My intro thread: http://intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=49855

Comment

Originally posted by greensoup View Post
            thanks for the info jeober. torn ligaments dont sound fun since they never heal on their own i heard >
            Not entirely true. It's all a matter of blood supply to the joint and ligament. For the ones that have some blood supply it's still not much which is why most will opt for a surgery. It also depends on the degree of the tear. 1st degree is a sprain of the ligament, 2nd degree is a partial tear and 3rd is a full rupture. 3rd degree is a definite surgery situation.

Fun fact, before ACL surgeries were ever performed, they used to just make your hamstrings as strong as possible through heavy weight training. Not a perfect fix but people to this day live with torn ACLs all the time. Regular people of course. Not athletes.

True Nutrition Discount: SRC745
            *2006 USAPL Washington State Powerlifting Championships- 1st, 14-16 age-148lb class -2nd Men's Open 148lb class
            •2x WABDL Worlds Runner Up - Teens 16-17 165lb
            *Former WABDL Teen 16-17 165lb World Record Bench Holder (Washington state record) of 396.6lbs

Comment

Originally posted by Collabera View Post
              Not entirely true. It's all a matter of blood supply to the joint and ligament. For the ones that have some blood supply it's still not much which is why most will opt for a surgery. It also depends on the degree of the tear. 1st degree is a sprain of the ligament, 2nd degree is a partial tear and 3rd is a full rupture. 3rd degree is a definite surgery situation.

Fun fact, before ACL surgeries were ever performed, they used to just make your hamstrings as strong as possible through heavy weight training. Not a perfect fix but people to this day live with torn ACLs all the time. Regular people of course. Not athletes.
              does the wrist ligaments have a lot of blood supply? veins everywhere.

also, for tears, it would just be a pain that never subsudes?

Comment

Working...
              X