Troublesome chest(lack of growth)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Troublesome chest(lack of growth)

So I've been doing dc for about a year and a half now. So not very long. And I've been experimenting with the different stickies in regards to stubborn chest growth. I unfortunately do not have access to that awesome pec deck machine Dante posted up a while back to do that creative push press. As I near a cruise I figured I'd go ahead and ask around about what I could possibly do for my chest. I've been doing the double up thing on the 2 way where you include tricep exersizes that have chest as a secondary such as close grip press or reverse grip and dips. I'm going to be experimenting with higher rep ranges than the traditional 8,4,2 during the upcoming blast too see what I get there. An odd thing though I'm not sure if not matters. While my decline HS and incline HS seems to progress albeit slowly. I am surprisingly weak when it comes to a standard BB flat bench. While my incline us 230 and my decline is 270 I'm damned if I can really press 220 for the full 8,4,2. I have a very short pec area if that lends any kind of clarification or at least I think I do. Anyways thanks for looking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you had someone check out your form? I don't know what your overall training experience is so can only say that most guys I have met with chest trouble are delt presses and not chest presses.

This is one of the best vids I've seen on the above point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=Ya-1WL0nWqg
    "Be gentle in what you do, firm in how you do it."
    Buck Brannaman.

"It is the certainty of punishment that deters crime, not the severity of it."
    'Hanging' Judge PARKER

"Nothing is so powerful as an insight into human nature... what compulsions drive a man, what instincts dominate his action... if you know these things about a man you can touch him at the core of his being."
    ~William Bernbach

Comment

Ok signal sucks at work I will watch it as soon as I hit the door at home. Yes I read the stickies talking about signs that you are just genetically a shitty Chest presser. I definitely feel I fall into that category. I've often felt that it's the same theory that goes into taller guys with long broad lower backs generally dead heavier because they have sort of a bigger engine to have more torque I guess so to speak. That's a layman talking so I could be wrong on any of this. I.guess what I'm saying is i generally blame my very short pec area on why I just simply have less capacity to push. Again could be totally wrong. But still. It doesn't stop me from wanting to be the best me I possibly can.

Comment

What's your height, weight, and approximate body fat?

Comment

5'5" 170lbs and don't know numbers. But I have a little bit of ab showing at the top. But just faintly. Like when I flex them. So definetly not lower than 12-15 percent I'd guess

Comment

Since you are running the DC program this will not necessarily apply BUT...you posted it in the IM main forum so here is my answer.

I too had difficulty isolating chest. I have a PL background so I was brainwashed to lift the weight as fast and efficiently as possible with no concern as to what actual muscle was moving it. As a result I became a delt/triceps presser. I had to reprogram my body to focus on training the muscle, not the exercise. For me, I have to start chest workouts with cable flyes/crossovers. After I get a good pump in the pecs I move into pressing movements. Big hit to the ego as the pressing lbs. drastically drop. Not a good thing if you are chasing the book. Based on your height/weight I would humbly recommend you not worry about chest isolation and things like that. Just work on getting stronger in the big lifts and once you put on about 20 lbs of muscle then revisit this.
            Family Guy but also; Old School SoCal, punk rock loving, powerlifting, hardcore gym rat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtLQ73EutoY

Comment

I think that's good advice. In the past I've had good experience from cable chest exersizes. I was playing around with decline cable Flys recently. And I found I really liked the burn from it. I had to go much lights and really focus on not bending at the elbows on the way in. But yeah I see what you are saying. And I had my doubts as to what you mention me being too small to worry about lagging parts yet. I definetly agree. I just hate not even getting a good ache the next day sometimes. I'll for the most part for now keep everything the same. But I'm going to play with my rep ranges a bit.

Comment

1. Is everything else small/growing nicely?

2. Another member mentioned it before but I believe pressing numbers will stall quicker than pulling since pulling allows more body English to get the weight moving. You can imagine pushing exercises have you more locked in so to speak.

3. If I were you is just focus on hammer strength machines, get that-stretch and squeeze and progress from there.

4. Do your extreme stretches directly after chest while you're still pumped.

5. I've tried "doubling up" movements to hit the chest more but it never really worked for me. I think my body just needed a bit more rest. I've been experimenting with what Skip suggested which is to not train arms as often (gasp! That isn't DC!) but I've noticed my arms have gotten bigger. So yeah, point is more work might not be better.

6. Yeah playing with rep ranges could be a good idea. When you're in that 8-4-2 range do you feel your triceps burning out before chest? I used to experience that, bumped up rep ranges and really made sure to feel the chest at that rep range/cadence, then progress from there.
                theroymccoy
                Heavyweight Member
                Last edited by theroymccoy; 03-02-2015, 01:19 AM.
                Max Muscle
                5020 Katella Ave.
                Los Alamitos, CA 90720
                www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

Comment

Yea everything else is progressing. And yes I do find that I don't get quite the chest burn from 8,4,2.

Comment

Well, if one rep range doesn't work, why haven't you adjusted it? common sense right?

I also agree with what Swam said. I have seen John Meadows recommend banded flies or push ups to activate the cheat and get a FEEL for the muscle contracting. This would be similar to doing crossovers and focusing on feeling the muscle contract.

Another options adding in a straight set or two before your RP set. Another option, doing a Wm for chest with a different exercise after you RP set as it would be done in the 3-way split...

Do some of these stray from a traditional DC 2-way template, yes, but everyone is going to be different and adjustments need to be made to account for individual differences.
                    Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
                    2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
                    2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Just to clarify....you don't actually do rest pause - 8,4,2 do you?
                      You do literally as many reps as fucking near to death possible in the 3 rest pause phases right???

I found wide grip presses on everything did my chest alot of good but be aware....alot of shoulder problems may accrue a few years down this road, as I now know.

Matt
                      NABBA UK 2011 - Novice class 3rd Place
                      NABBA BRITAIN FINALS 2012 - Novice class 3rd Place
                      NABBA NORTH WEST 2014 - Mr Class 2 - 1st Place
                      NABBA WORLD CHAMPS 2014 - Mr Class 2 - 10th Place
                      NABBA ENGLAND 2015 - Mr Class 2 - 3rd place
                      NABBA UK 2015 - Mr Class 2 - 4th place

Comment

I do rest pause at that cadence yes. But always to failure if that's what you are asking? But yes. I will be playing with rep ranges. Yes mental I've always noticed more burn from crossovers or any cable work really. As far as straight sets. I been doing 2 warm up sets with certain muscle groups instead of one. Just found I can beat prs a little better that way. So that's interesting and I'll consider that. The other day just for fun I did a straight set with calves and then a heavy rest pause at 8,4,2 and Jesus my calves are killing me. But it was fun.

Comment

Working...
                        X