Hepatitis A scare In Australia Over Frozen Berries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hepatitis A scare In Australia Over Frozen Berries

No doubt the Aussie members on here already know this as it's been all over the news here.

A brand of frozen mixed berries has been recalled as there's been a few cases in 3 states now with consumers contracting Hepatitis A from Nanna's brand of not only mixed berries now, but it's been extended to raspberries.

These berries have all been sourced from places like China and South America and packaged in Australia. Food quality standards here are pretty strict with farmers jumping through hoops to get their product to shelves. And rightly so. But now it's come to light that roughly only 5% of produce sourced from overseas is screened.

I do buy these berries myself, but it's made me think of the standards that are in place for local vs imported food. It's scary to think that the berries that I have been eating may have contained human shit. All to save a few bucks.

We as consumers can spend up big on luxury cars, the newest priciest iPhone or handbag, but when it comes to food, more times than not it's the cheapest product that wins out.

I don't see what the concern is over a little bit of shit on your food. It sounds like you are overreacting.

Ok, clearly I am kidding. 5% screened? That is terrible.

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
    Instagram: @intensemuscle
    YouTube: TEAMSKIP
    TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Its pretty ridiculous. Now child care facilities are worried as they fed their kids the berries. Plus a few football players are worried as well as they used the berries in their shakes.

On a positive side, hopefully this gets changes implemented on food safety standards for imported food. As well as getting people (including myself) to buy locally grown produce.

Comment

We threw out a bag of these berries. They were a staple part of our shopping list for our shakes. I would say Nanna's is going to go out of business over this. I and the wife and kids all had Hep A inoculations for overseas travel so though we won't get Hep we are certainly not impressed.
        "Be gentle in what you do, firm in how you do it."
        Buck Brannaman.

"It is the certainty of punishment that deters crime, not the severity of it."
        'Hanging' Judge PARKER

"Nothing is so powerful as an insight into human nature... what compulsions drive a man, what instincts dominate his action... if you know these things about a man you can touch him at the core of his being."
        ~William Bernbach

Comment

Originally posted by SAHD View Post
          We threw out a bag of these berries. They were a staple part of our shopping list for our shakes. I would say Nanna's is going to go out of business over this. I and the wife and kids all had Hep A inoculations for overseas travel so though we won't get Hep we are certainly not impressed.

Same for us as well. We were using the Woolworths Select 500g boxes, but then switched to the 1kg bag Nanna's variety. We've been eating them for months. We're still using the blueberries though. Thankfully there's been no warnings with those.

I was surprised that there's so far, no Australian company that makes frozen berries. All imported.

Not impressed here either!

Comment

No more berries in the shakes for me...

Comment

Working...
            X