Need blender recipes that don't taste awful

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need blender recipes that don't taste awful

So, I'm about 11 weeks into a lifting program and have been very consistent with my diet and seeing good results, but I can't keep going this way. As I mentioned in at least one other thread, I have TMJ, which makes chewing difficult. My solution up until now has been to simply throw most everything into my blender and gulp it down, no matter how bad it tastes. I eat six times a day, five blended meals, one solid. The only one of my blended meals that actually tastes good is my morning shake: protein powder with nuts, oil, oats, fruit. Everything else tastes horrid. I'm very motivated, but not motivated enough to keep doing this for years. Does anyone know of any blender recipes that include beef, chicken, etc. and actually taste pretty good? Failing that, what about solid(ish) meals that are extremely easy to chew? I can chew, just not very fast.
    "Be kind, friendly and lenient towards your fellow man, but unrelenting and pitiless with yourself." -- Franz Bardon

One thing that's helped me is to put oats through a coffee grinder. I buy the plain Quaker Quick Oats and measure a cup, dry: 360 calories, 60 g of carbs. I then grind it in a coffee grinder and it turns it into dust on par with whey powders. Throw it in some water and shake it up. I mostly mix it with whey as well, but have started having it on its own with half a teaspoon of Splenda in the morning because I'm not that hungry at breakfast and can really only get my eggs in.

Some chewing is still required as the oats expand in water. They also sink to the bottom, so I'd recommend drinking it with a straw. I opted for this because oats are one of the best carb sources, but the texture of oatmeal is gross and I could never eat more than a little bit at a time.

Comment

Maybe not exactly what you're looking for as it doesn't contain meat, but here's one thing I've been doing lately:

275 grams egg whites
      30 grams of vanilla birthday cake whey isolate
      40 grams of oats
      140 grams of wild blueberries
      8 grams of Trader Joe's Very Green powder
      1 cup of spinach
      5 grams of coconut oil

Throw it all in Vitamix on high.

Provides about 60 grams of protein, 50 grams of carbs, and 8 grams of fat. And it's delicious.

You could try using different kinds of protein powders as well - like maybe a whey/casein blend, or beef protein.
      moco
      IM Moderator/Intense Muscle Competitor
      Last edited by moco; 02-17-2015, 11:01 AM.

2017 NPC National Championships Classic Physique, Class D - 4th Place
      2017 NPC New England Championships Classic Physique, Class C - 1st Place
      2017 NPC East Coast Cup Classic Physique, Tall Class - 1st Place & Overall
      2015 Arnold Amateur Men's Classic Bodybuilding, Tall Class - 4th Place
      2013 NPC Europa Battle of Champions - 1st Place Novice Heavyweight, 2nd Place Open Light-Heavyweight

Comment

Thanks, guys. I'll try both of these ideas. btw, if anyone's interested, I've recently started blending yams with cottage cheese. I wouldn't say it exactly tastes good, but it's not terrible, either. Tastes a little like pumpkin pudding.

I didn't even know there was such a thing as beef protein powder. Will look into it.
        "Be kind, friendly and lenient towards your fellow man, but unrelenting and pitiless with yourself." -- Franz Bardon

Comment

Beef Protein Isolate:
          http://truenutrition.com/p-1075-beef...olate-1lb.aspx

There are also some others out there like MuscleMeds Carnivor, and MHP and MuscleTech have versions of it as well. But I'd go with TN (see discount code below ).

2013 NPC Europa Battle of Champions - 1st Place Novice Heavyweight, 2nd Place Open Light-Heavyweight

Comment

Originally posted by moco View Post
            Maybe not exactly what you're looking for as it doesn't contain meat, but here's one thing I've been doing lately:

275 grams egg whites
            30 grams of vanilla birthday cake whey isolate
            40 grams of oats
            140 grams of wild blueberries
            8 grams of Trader Joe's Very Green powder
            1 cup of spinach
            5 grams of coconut oil

Throw it all in Vitamix on high.

Provides about 60 grams of protein, 50 grams of carbs, and 8 grams of fat. And it's delicious.

You could try using different kinds of protein powders as well - like maybe a whey/casein blend, or beef protein.
            What is your preference between various blends?

Comment

I primarily use TEAM SKIP blend, but occasionally use a straight whey isolate.

Comment

Originally posted by moco View Post
                Beef Protein Isolate:
                http://truenutrition.com/p-1075-beef...olate-1lb.aspx

There are also some others out there like MuscleMeds Carnivor, and MHP and MuscleTech have versions of it as well. But I'd go with TN (see discount code below ).
                I tried the beef isolate a while back and man did I get the shits.....no more!
                Heckman aka "WISE" OLD MAN

Comment

My favorite blender drink is a chocolate beef protein coffee smoothie.

12 oz raw milk
                  8 oz coffee
                  2 T. Homemade LBAs
                  1 T. Almond Butter
                  1 chocolate pb whey
                  A little more flavoring
                  Maybe 1 free range egg
                  Ice

Comment

Working...
                  X