quad teardrops feel like they're tearing off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quad teardrops feel like they're tearing off

never had this happen before, but last week during squats on my workset 365x3x5, right at the bottom i feel my quads getting tight, mainly the teardrop area. I work through it and its not a big deal.

this week i attempt 375x3x5 which should still be easy but i quit by rep3. very intense teardrop stretch at the bottom/parallel to the point i feel like they're going to rip off.

anyone had this before?

my squat stance is a little outside shoulders, powerlifting style until hip crease dip under parallel. my bar position is 'low bar' though its a little higher than i am used to having it last year because of flexibility issues.

I assume by tear drops you are talking about the vastus medialus oblique.

Is it a cramping feeling?

True Nutrition Discount: SRC745
    *2006 USAPL Washington State Powerlifting Championships- 1st, 14-16 age-148lb class -2nd Men's Open 148lb class
    •2x WABDL Worlds Runner Up - Teens 16-17 165lb
    *Former WABDL Teen 16-17 165lb World Record Bench Holder (Washington state record) of 396.6lbs

Comment

i've never had a quad cramp so i don't think so? it just feels like its being pulled or stretched really hard at the very bottom. very tight

Comment

Both left and right side?

True Nutrition Discount: SRC745
        *2006 USAPL Washington State Powerlifting Championships- 1st, 14-16 age-148lb class -2nd Men's Open 148lb class
        •2x WABDL Worlds Runner Up - Teens 16-17 165lb
        *Former WABDL Teen 16-17 165lb World Record Bench Holder (Washington state record) of 396.6lbs

Comment

I'd start to focus on some mobility work asap. Sit in the bottom of the squat for a few min at a time. Also try and get up near the groin with a ball or foam roller.

If you sit on your feet and eventually try and work back towards this.

I had a similar issue in my right quad about a month ago and ended up tearing it a week later.

Comment

Been battling some of this on my vastus lateralis (quad sweep). Feels like it's so tight it's going to rip off. Foam roll and find those hot spots and really dig in deep and work in those. You have to let the muscle relax and not be super tense for it to really hit deep as well.

Also the mobility work mentioned - maybe something like defranco's agile 8 or limber 11.

Jared
            Owner of 316FIT and Team Skip Approved Trainer

Instagram: @jaredragsdale
            FB: www.fb.com/jared.ragsdale
            www.316fit.com
            Email: [email protected]

Comment

Defrancos protocol is what I do. I've abbreviated it slightly but it's pretty effective for sure. To that I'll add the above quad/calf/ankle stretch klokov is doing above.

Periodically throughout the day I'll just sit in the bottom of the squat for a few min. I feel if you're having an issue in a certain position it's important to get yourself into that exact position,besides the other mobility stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Imprezivr6 View Post
                I'd start to focus on some mobility work asap. Sit in the bottom of the squat for a few min at a time. Also try and get up near the groin with a ball or foam roller.

If you sit on your feet and eventually try and work back towards this.

I had a similar issue in my right quad about a month ago and ended up tearing it a week later.
                oh dear lord how is your quad now?

i've tried to do those stretches but leaning back i feel like ill fall all the way backward and rip my knee into two :p ill ease into it.

and yes it is BOTH quads. ive never had this before until last week minorly and this week majorly. the only thing different from the past is some compounds that make me retain more water :tinfoil3:

Comment

Since I was about 5-6 weeks out from a meet, I got aggressive with rehab via some "alternative"methods and started easing back into it after a week off. It seemed to heal extremely quickly so I started ramping back up. I squatted 555 x 2, 3 weeks later, and hit 595 x 1 Monday.
                  Last edited by Imprezivr6; 02-04-2015, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Imprezivr6 View Post
                    Since I was about 5-6 weeks out from a meet, I got aggressive with rehab via some "alternative"methods and started easing back into it after a week off. It seemed to heal extremely quickly so I started ramping back up. I squatted 555 x 2, 3 weeks later, and hit 595 x 1 Monday.
                    how did you know it was an actual tear

Comment

Originally posted by greensoup View Post
                      how did you know it was an actual tear
                      I'm only assuming by the intense pain and this. Plus my Dr said(without mri) that it was most certainly a partial tear.

The pain and swelling was in my vastus medialis but the bruising was directly under that to the side of my leg. Also it got so tight and you could feel almost like a lump in there.
                      Last edited by Imprezivr6; 02-05-2015, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X