Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Fortitude Training Question] What type of Equipment do I need?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fortitude Training Question] What type of Equipment do I need?

Hi everyone,

I am interested in buying the Fortitude Training ebook because of the splendid reviews.

I have a question about the type of equipment one needs access to in order to follow the routines in the book. I have a very bare bones home gym with the following equipment:
    1. Powercage with multi grip pull-up bar and band pegs
    2. Barbell
    3. Plates
    4. Adjustable Dumbbells from 5 lbs to 200 lbs
    5. Bench with adjustable incline / decline settings
    6. Bands (APT's No. 1.0 to 3.0)

Is this enough? It works with my Powerlifting / Strength training goals but I want to know if it is okay for the book programs.
    The promotion of the training methods used by drug-assisted and genetically giften men wreaks havoc, despite these men being presented as demigods in the bodybuilding world. Sure they have inspired millions, but at the same time they have misled millions; and their "intruction" has robbed millions of people of the best training years of their lives.
    -Stuart McRobert

Originally posted by NewLifter4DC View Post
    Hi everyone,

I am interested in buying the Fortitude Training ebook because of the splendid reviews.

I have a question about the type of equipment one needs access to in order to follow the routines in the book. I have a very bare bones home gym with the following equipment:
    1. Powercage with multi grip pull-up bar and band pegs
    2. Barbell
    3. Plates
    4. Adjustable Dumbbells from 5 lbs to 200 lbs
    5. Bench with adjustable incline / decline settings
    6. Bands (APT's No. 1.0 to 3.0)

Is this enough? It works with my Powerlifting / Strength training goals but I want to know if it is okay for the book programs.
    I think you need a userid change....

Ideally, you'd have access to equipment which would allow you to vary the stimulus during the muscle rounds, i.e., a typical bodybuilding style gym where you've got a lot of machines to make use of (plate loaded, cables, selectorized, etc.)

The issue that you can run into is that if you're trying to improve / bring up an area, you'll need to find exercises that allow you to target that muscle effectively, with a variety of resistance curves. Also, there will be days when you need to vary exercises (especially use those that are different from what you used for he heavy training, e.g, barbell based).

E.g., If you've blasted you upper pecs and anterior delts with presses, BB presses tend to wear on your shoulders, and you have a hard time targeting pecs with a decline press, then having a cable cross-over to use would be a great advantage.

You're be missing out on this advantage of variety and ability to apply instinct and common sense to you exercise sense to your exercise selection if you've not got a wide variety of choices...

-S
    The Book Has Arrived!
    The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
    2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
    2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

Oh I see thank you!
      The promotion of the training methods used by drug-assisted and genetically giften men wreaks havoc, despite these men being presented as demigods in the bodybuilding world. Sure they have inspired millions, but at the same time they have misled millions; and their "intruction" has robbed millions of people of the best training years of their lives.
      -Stuart McRobert

Comment

Originally posted by NewLifter4DC View Post
        Oh I see thank you!
        You're welcome!

-S
        The Book Has Arrived!
        The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

Comment

Homonunculus,

I am curious about your personal gains with fortitude. Has you overall mass increased? What do you feel it has done for your weaker body parts? What has been the effects in terms of joint health? Sorry for the Hijack!!!

Thank you,

David

Comment

Originally posted by DShores View Post
            Homonunculus,

I am curious about your personal gains with fortitude. Has you overall mass increased? What do you feel it has done for your weaker body parts? What has been the effects in terms of joint health? Sorry for the Hijack!!!

Thank you,

David
            I think it brought a new level of maturity to my physique in terms of completeness (e.g., subtle detail that you see in small muscle groups, in the back, arms, etc.). This manifested mostly in 2013. (2014 was a wash, which I covered in an article at www.elitefts.com .)

I've been doing this for 30 years now (I'm 6 mo. younger than Ken), so I'm not going to make quantum leaps in size (without risking health).

Joint health is the best it's been in years, perhaps. I've not wrapped my knees in >2 hr now (not once, that I can recall) and I used to have to wrap for even leg presses just 5 yr ago.

I pulled rack deads about a week ago with 6 plates and a band (added at least 45lb / side, I'd say - the thick orange ones in the Mountaindog pack from elitefts, doubled over) for 8 reps, so I'm still able to move a little weight around now n' again.

(Of course, this may have no relevance to you in the least, but I hope that's getting at something for you. I'll be honest and say that I tend to not want to answer these, "tell me about you" kind of questions generally for that very reason - they may not fit the scenario of the person asking too well. This means I may have given you - or anyone asking a question like this - a useless answer, but I do respect the "proof is in the pudding" kind of question. You can check out folks doing FT to get into that, if you like, too, or just ask me about you. )

-S
            The Book Has Arrived!
            The Book Has Arrived!

www.TrueNutrition.com

Comment

Thank you for answering my question. That was exactly what I was getting at. I think I am a bit older that you and Skip! (47.5) I'm not really expecting to grow either, but I want to stay strong without damaging my joints. That is a very positive improvement in your knees! Congrats. I will give the article a read.

Comment

Thank you for answering my question. That was exactly what I was getting at. I think I am a bit older that you and Skip! (47.5) I'm not really expecting to grow either, but I want to stay strong without damaging my joints. That is a very positive improvement in your knees! Congrats. I will give the article a read.
                Right on!

(BTW, you mention article, but I think you're referring to my e-book. Just click on the banner - the super sized one - in my sig line. )

www.fortitudetraining.net

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=ZCbDqwP0JvQ

[YOUTUBE]ZCbDqwP0JvQ[/YOUTUBE]

-S
                The Book Has Arrived!
                The Book Has Arrived!

www.TrueNutrition.com

Comment

Homonunculus. Sounds like a rough year! Sounds like things are ironed out and you can have an excellent offseason.

David

Comment

Homonunculus. Sounds like a rough year! Sounds like things are ironed out and you can have an excellent offseason.

David
                    Already underway.

(Not a biggie as I learned a good bit, including the value of patience and the illusion of control... )

-S
                    The Book Has Arrived!
                    The Book Has Arrived!

www.TrueNutrition.com

Comment

Working...
                    X