Muscle Imbalance/Tightness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muscle Imbalance/Tightness

I thought I would throw this out there and see if anyone has any feedback or ideas for me.

First, stretching is probably my main focus but I have been incorporating some and not noticing a difference, so it's possible I am not doing what I should be for the proper stretches.

Here's the main problem:

My quad sweep (vastus lateralis) has some sort of tightness or pain down towards the connection near my knee (note: not knee pain, muscular) and has for a long period of time.

Over the last two years I've been dealing with this and really haven't been able to train legs the way I have wanted to.

I've had deep tissue massages, ART, changed up my workouts, and haven't noticed much difference.

I imagine it is either:

1. Muscular tightness in an area I am not stretching
    2. Muscular imbalance

I feel the discomfort (slight pain) when I squat down even with body weight. Squats hurt, hack squats hurt worse, leg press hurts less. Bulgarian split squats - virtually no pain (I lean slightly forward when doing these).

If anyone is a genius and has thoughts, I'm willing to try it all. I've taken 5-6 weeks off from training legs before and had constant pain through the process even just walking up the stairs (it's mostly an annoyance with that, not painful).

TL;DR - Leg pain, help me cure it please.

Thanks -

Jared
    Owner of 316FIT and Team Skip Approved Trainer

Instagram: @jaredragsdale
    FB: www.fb.com/jared.ragsdale
    www.316fit.com
    Email: [email protected]

So the pain feels to be coming from your outer knee area? Sounds like it could associated with your IT band. Or as you mentioned perhaps an imbalance (strength wise, or related to tightness) between your IT band and adductors.

You mentioned stretching and massage - have you been using a foam roller for SMR as well? Personally I would just try to stay consistent and frequent (daily) with your stretching (focused on IT band and adductors) and foam rolling focused on those areas as well. I personally have very tight hips and IT bands and like to use my rumble roller to get into those areas.

2017 NPC National Championships Classic Physique, Class D - 4th Place
    2017 NPC New England Championships Classic Physique, Class C - 1st Place
    2017 NPC East Coast Cup Classic Physique, Tall Class - 1st Place & Overall
    2015 Arnold Amateur Men's Classic Bodybuilding, Tall Class - 4th Place
    2013 NPC Europa Battle of Champions - 1st Place Novice Heavyweight, 2nd Place Open Light-Heavyweight

Comment

Originally posted by moco View Post
      So the pain feels to be coming from your outer knee area? Sounds like it could associated with your IT band. Or as you mentioned perhaps an imbalance (strength wise, or related to tightness) between your IT band and adductors.

You mentioned stretching and massage - have you been using a foam roller for SMR as well? Personally I would just try to stay consistent and frequent (daily) with your stretching (focused on IT band and adductors) and foam rolling focused on those areas as well. I personally have very tight hips and IT bands and like to use my rumble roller to get into those areas.
      If I were to start at the top of my kneecap it would be approximately 1 inch above my knee, and 1.5" to the side of my leg.

I have heard the IT band doesn't stretch but that it's the surrounding tissue causing the problem. Hip flexors, TFL, etc.

I will likely start stretching very deeply a few times a day and foam rolling as well. I've noticed if I foam roll really deep for a bit of time before the leg session the pain isn't as bad - but sometimes I do the same foam rolling technique and it doesn't improve. So I was hoping someone could shed some light on what might be my main attack here to loosen up.

Jared
      Owner of 316FIT and Team Skip Approved Trainer

Instagram: @jaredragsdale
      FB: www.fb.com/jared.ragsdale
      www.316fit.com
      Email: [email protected]

Comment

Could be an age thing....but then I didn't start having any issues till well after 50
        Heckman aka "WISE" OLD MAN

Comment

I was going to respond with what Moco said but he covered it quite well. I say related to the IT band in some way. However, were the symptoms acute or did they just kind of build over time? I ask because a an LCL is in the area albeit lower - pretty much completely to the side of the knee vs. an inch above. It could be something that lingers, though. Still, I would go with IT related, first.

What stretches are you doing for your hips, glutes, etc.? And is there ANY lessening of the pain/tightness AFTER a full course of stretches?

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
          Instagram: @intensemuscle
          YouTube: TEAMSKIP
          TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Working...
          X