Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions/Experience on itermittent fasting - Martin Berkhan protocol

Hi guys?

Just wondering on peoples opinion on training fasted with ingestion of 10g BCAA before workout and how its worked for them?

Or if training fasted is just a no go in terms of building muscle?

Thanks!

I think it depends on how extreme you want to go with your gains.

I have used IF off and on for about 3 years now (doing so currently). It certainly has its benefits and is very convenient. This has been my experience, take it for what it's worth: I can hold a certain amount of LBM with IF, but eventually I start to stagnate in strength/downsize. When I get serious about building muscle, I abandon IF and resume all day feedings. I find it's much easier to get in the extra food, and have more energy/strength in the workouts. I think if you are already carrying an above average amount of muscle, you may be better off supplying the body with nutrients all day.

I know a woman who used IF for years and built enough muscle to be competitive in figure, in her case well above normal LBM for females. To me this would translate to building physique level muscle in a man, but I wouldn't try it for more extreme gains, such as to compete in bodybuilding.
    2014 Greater Gulf States 2nd WPD Class B
    2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW
    2009 Houston Pro/Am 1st LHW & Overall (Am)
    2008 Jr. Nationals 5th LHW
    2007 Greater Gulf States 1st LHW
    2007 LA Championships 1st LHW & Overall

Comment

Cool

Thanks for sharing that info

Comment

The leanest I ever got was through IM. I was able to maintain my strength. I doubt I will do it again though as I was able to add significant muscle (only a slight increase in BF) by switching off IM and going with a more traditional BB diet afterward. Bottom line: Got leaner, stayed strong, did not add (possibly lost) muscle.
        Family Guy but also; Old School SoCal, punk rock loving, powerlifting, hardcore gym rat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtLQ73EutoY

Comment

Lately I've done two days of calorie surplus, 1000 cals or so. 3rd day I fast completely with just some heavy whipping cream in coffee a few times a day, lots of water, and not sure if it matters but I use HGH Frag 4x a day every 3 hours and double cardio sessions 30-45 minutes per and have gained muscle while leaning up since the Frag releases FFA into the blood stream it keeps me from being catabolic

Comment

For the record: I am not a fan.

Most know this, though.

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
            Instagram: @intensemuscle
            YouTube: TEAMSKIP
            TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Originally posted by Ken "Skip" Hill View Post

Most know this, though.

Skip
              From a "hands on" experience I agree with Skip. As I said, I got leaner (no doubt due to fewer total calories), I maintained strength (not sure what to attribute this to), but I did not gain any muscle...matter of fact I probably lost some based on some pics I have. If I had to do it over, I would have picked a diet that PRESERVED muscle while losing fat. It simply came down to calories in vs. calories out.
              Family Guy but also; Old School SoCal, punk rock loving, powerlifting, hardcore gym rat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtLQ73EutoY

Comment

From what I remember of Martin's site, it seems that most of the people using it to build muscle are just starting out with his template of lower volume, compound lifts (progressive lifting as well I believe), and are getting newbie gains, which are relatively "easy" to come by. I saw impressive transformations, but not impressive size. It's great for getting/staying lean while maintaining for a long time, but even the size slowly regresses to more of a fit look, as opposed to thick n meaty.
                2014 Greater Gulf States 2nd WPD Class B
                2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW
                2009 Houston Pro/Am 1st LHW & Overall (Am)
                2008 Jr. Nationals 5th LHW
                2007 Greater Gulf States 1st LHW
                2007 LA Championships 1st LHW & Overall

Comment

Originally posted by Ken "Skip" Hill View Post

Most know this, though.

Skip
                  aha, Why is that Skip?

Have you ever experimented Intermittent Fasting or do you just prefer your own method?

Thanks again for sharing your opinions guys

Comment

When I have used it for leaning out, I found that my maintenance calorie level was HIGHER with IF than with a traditional all-day feeding schedule. I can't explain it, nor would I have any guess as to what mechanism was making it happen, but that's how it worked out for me, on numerous occasions.

EDIT - in other words, I was able to keep my total calories higher with IF (by a few hundred calories), while still seeing the scale move downward.
                    Last edited by 5spotbullseye; 01-27-2015, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by z33 View Post
                      Hi guys?

Just wondering on peoples opinion on training fasted with ingestion of 10g BCAA before workout and how its worked for them?

Or if training fasted is just a no go in terms of building muscle?

Thanks!
                      For the above goals, it worked well.

I personally did extremely well with IF. I think for the non-competitor looking for some simplicity, variety, and more options in social situations it can work well. I think in terms of gaining muscle, it works well, pending your calories are where they should be.

I think like with any "diet" how it is structured(macros, meal timing, etc), makes a big difference in overall results.

I hit a lot of big PR's while training fasted for extended periods of time. However you don't necessarily have to train fasted if you decide you would prefer per-workout nutrition.

Comment

I'm not a fan of anything that's going to keep me from eating for more than 3-4 hours....I even tried Carb Back Loading and liked the carb effects, but could not get used to holding off on eating for quite awhile after waking. I don't necessarily like to eat upon waking, but within an hour I'm usually pretty hungry and ready to eat. With the CBL, if memory serves me right, I was to go till very late morning or lunch time before my first meal of protein and fat, but was able to have heavy cream and coconut oil in my coffee. I was just too damn hungry by about 8am to stay with it. I personally don't see how I'd ever fast for 12-15 hours, let alone a whole day....
                        STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

I'm someone who does terrible when dealing with hunger. That was something I really dreaded when I tried IF......but it turned out that it wasn't that bad. During my fast (9pm until 12pm) I take in BCAA's too, so it's not a 100% fast....

Comment

Thanks for sharing your experience & opinions all

Comment

It all depends on your goals. If you are trying to gain just a s*** ton of muscle its probably not for you. There are plenty of threads by some smart people here about how to do that.
                              If you are looking to pack on a few solid lbs of muscle while staying relatively lean then go with IF.
                              Just my thoughts. I think that this is the consensus of almost everyone who responds to similar threads on IF.
                              "The Dude Abides" Please Use Discount Code: JNC825

Comment

Working...
                              X