Odd 531 situation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd 531 situation

Currently I happen to be using the the ubiquitous wendlers 531 and at the risk of sounding over analytical I've noticed that while using the boring but big version I am able to use a MUCH higher percentage of my working Max for the 5x 10 sets but seem to be weaker in the low range reps on the 5/3/1 sets. With this in mind I find myself tempted to lower the working Max for those sets.
    Any thoughts?

Are you using your training max for the 5/3/1 sets? That is, 90% of your true max?

2017 NPC National Championships Classic Physique, Class D - 4th Place
    2017 NPC New England Championships Classic Physique, Class C - 1st Place
    2017 NPC East Coast Cup Classic Physique, Tall Class - 1st Place & Overall
    2015 Arnold Amateur Men's Classic Bodybuilding, Tall Class - 4th Place
    2013 NPC Europa Battle of Champions - 1st Place Novice Heavyweight, 2nd Place Open Light-Heavyweight

Comment

What moco said. Also, how long have you been doing it? It should be relatively easy your first couple of meso cycles, first one for sure. That's by design so that you have pretty continual progression as you work on your rep maxes. So if it's pretty difficult from the get go you may have over estimated your training max. As long as you are completing the prescribed number of reps though you should be golden.
      Heavy squats fix everything.

Comment

Well enough then. Yes training Max is 90% of a tested 1 rep Max. However the 5x 10 sets I'm easily using 50% of true one rep Max.
        i was concerned that maybe i was working with too high of a training max since I was only hitting 1-2 eos over on the 531 sets. Thanks for responses.

Comment

Also this is second Meso cycle. I had been on an 6-8 week lay off due to fractured hand. Really i prefer a more full body approach such as mad cow. Due to time constraints when I i got back to training I tried more of a westside approach but soon felt like I needed the structured progression that I had in the 5x5 set up. 531 seemed to offer that.
          I think I will run at it another cycle and see his it goes. If I stall on the bench I'll rest the training Max 15 - 20 lbs and see how it goes

Comment

post a sample workout #s and we can see better. definitely does sound weird, i remember those 5x10 deadlifts and presses really tiring me out

Comment

Originally posted by greensoup View Post
              post a sample workout #s and we can see better. definitely does sound weird, i remember those 5x10 deadlifts and presses really tiring me out
              I'll do that this evening I'm away from my log. But yes everything with the exception of bench has required a little more effort.

Comment

For bench training Max 184. I use 100 lbs for the 5x10
                Last bench was 3x3 I hit 170 x4 for last set and it was a grind. ..

Comment

Working...
                X