Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Heckman
    • Feb 2004

Lat pulldown....

How do you do yours? To the front or behind the neck? Is one better than the other? I only go to the front on mine as I just don't want to risk injury even going lighter weight.
    Heckman aka "WISE" OLD MAN

• Wunderkinds
    • Jan 2015

I go to both. When I was younger I used to do olympic lifts and I'd work on my jerk and snatch (or overhead squat) from my shoulders so I didn't understand the problem with moving on the backside. However, I usually stay in front for no im-particular reason.

But, what do I know.

Comment

• Kidrok (Hop)
      Super Moderator
      • Feb 2004

To the front only. And with my shoulder problems and limited range of motion I typically go to my chin instead of clavicles as I used to in the past.
      -KidRok-
      "...because I won't accept that I can't."

www.https://Truenutrition.com/
      5% OFF with Discount Code "FXL222"

https://www.facebook.com/hopsfitnessxl

Comment

• DC_catholic315
        Light-heavyweight Member
        • Oct 2011

I have VERY long arms (6 1 and 1/2 footer)
        I do mine front with v bar or with wide grip
        Wide I only go to my nose... I seem to get a full contraction on my lats there
        With the v bar to the top of the chest and touch
        Occasionally behind the neck and touch the top of the back of my head like ear level
        #wingspanofanalbatross
        I see you didn't take a s#!t before deadlifting....
        I too like to live dangerously

Comment

• LG1
          Super-heavyweight Member
          • Feb 2009

Front with V/U grip.
          SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

• Swaminator
            Intense Muscle Competitor
            • Aug 2010

I've got some great pumps doing them this way:
            This is one of my favorite pre-contest back movements. It loosens up your shoulder girdle tremendously and gives you much better flexibility. I always see mo...
            Family Guy but also; Old School SoCal, punk rock loving, powerlifting, hardcore gym rat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtLQ73EutoY

Comment

• DC_catholic315
              Light-heavyweight Member
              • Oct 2011

I like the way dusty does his variation widowmaker of the way leaned over cable row with the rope leaned way over at the seated row station
              Last edited by DC_catholic315; 01-24-2015, 04:30 PM.
              I see you didn't take a s#!t before deadlifting....
              I too like to live dangerously

Comment

• Daniel7908
                Middleweight Member
                • Mar 2009

Only to the front, also to avoid injuries.

Comment

• KittyFighter333
                  • Oct 2014

I do my lat pulls from the front only. . .

Because of what seems to be a prominent answer here. . . to avoid injury. . .

and I also do mine super slow to make sure I hit the "negative" lift going back up. . . I make sure I really feel it in my lats. . .

My sister once told me "imagine your hands as hooks only, make sure you feel it in your lats" When I have tried from the back it seems my range of motion is sacrificed to a limited amount and my hands and forearms are doing most of the work. . . which obviously isn't the goal at hand here.

JessicaG

Comment

• DShores
                    Bantamweight Member
                    • Nov 2004

Front only. When I studied biomechanics of the shoulder in college, behind the neck press and pull downs seemed like a bad idea for joint health. That being said I really like a good pull over machine for lats. The old school chain Naut, and the Hammer pullover machines are my favorites. DB pullovers I feel in my chest and cable pull down are difficult for me to stabilize when I get to a decent weight.

David

Comment

• slide
                      Intense Set of the Month December 2009
                      • Feb 2004

All to the front for me...I've tried BTN (it has been many years), but it just didn't feel 'right' to me.

-s
                      "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a pussy."

"Carry 24/7 or guess right."

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

"993 yo f9t[n9y[I8itineraryBMiy v][/t u 98 oh 99 u]y8y u[/hy jyip NH j o have I h"

Comment

Working...