How do you cook your chicken?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you cook your chicken?

I used to do all my bulk chicken breasts on the grill outside. I would be out in the garage in January an February for an hour or 2, sometimes in single-digit or sub-zero temps with snow blowing in the garage door, while i grilled up my 15 lbs of chicken each week.
    A couple months ago a friend turned me on to using a crock pot. It is easy and the chicken comes out moist and consistent. It is so much better that I requested and received a 6qt crock pot for Christmas. I fit 2 of the family packs of chicken breasts (12lbs) for a single cooking last week and it was so easy. Trim it, put it in, add 1/2 cup of water and i put mine on high for 4 hours.
    Life has become simpler now.
    -KidRok-
    "...because I won't accept that I can't."

www.https://Truenutrition.com/
    5% OFF with Discount Code "FXL222"

https://www.facebook.com/hopsfitnessxl

Originally posted by Hop View Post
    I used to do all my bulk chicken breasts on the grill outside. I would be out in the garage in January an February for an hour or 2, sometimes in single-digit or sub-zero temps with snow blowing in the garage door, while i grilled up my 15 lbs of chicken each week.
    A couple months ago a friend turned me on to using a crock pot. It is easy and the chicken comes out moist and consistent. It is so much better that I requested and received a 6qt crock pot for Christmas. I fit 2 of the family packs of chicken breasts (12lbs) for a single cooking last week and it was so easy. Trim it, put it in, add 1/2 cup of water and i put mine on high for 4 hours.
    Life has become simpler now.
    WHat do you put in there to season it with? Or do you season it after?

I have been using a crockpot as well and love how tender it makes meat (I do a lot of pork tenderloin as well), but it seems the long cooking cycle makes the flavor bland. Any tips? Maybe just add seasoning closer to the end?

Use the discount code "SPD365" for 5% off your orders at www.trueprotein.com; Order 16lbs or more, and you get 10% off!!!

Comment

Originally posted by HELLA SWOLE View Post
      WHat do you put in there to season it with? Or do you season it after?

I have been using a crockpot as well and love how tender it makes meat (I do a lot of pork tenderloin as well), but it seems the long cooking cycle makes the flavor bland. Any tips? Maybe just add seasoning closer to the end?
      I've used some garlic herb seasoning and 1 batch I substituted the water for some Ken's Lite Olive Oil Vinaigrette salad dressing. I prefer to season before hand so it gets cooked through the meat. What i plan to try is to get some packets of salad dressing seasoning for making your own Italian dressing and mixing that with water to season the chicken.

I think that using the high setting for a shorter cook cycle seems to work better than the slower cook.
      -KidRok-
      "...because I won't accept that I can't."

www.https://Truenutrition.com/
      5% OFF with Discount Code "FXL222"

https://www.facebook.com/hopsfitnessxl

Comment

Instead of water, try using fat-free chicken stock. The sodium is kinda high (about 510mg), but it tastes better than cooking in water. Only 1 carb.

Comment

Originally posted by Hop View Post
          I've used some garlic herb seasoning and 1 batch I substituted the water for some Ken's Lite Olive Oil Vinaigrette salad dressing. I prefer to season before hand so it gets cooked through the meat. What i plan to try is to get some packets of salad dressing seasoning for making your own Italian dressing and mixing that with water to season the chicken.

I think that using the high setting for a shorter cook cycle seems to work better than the slower cook.
          THat makes sense. I'll give it a try. Thanks

Use the discount code "SPD365" for 5% off your orders at www.trueprotein.com; Order 16lbs or more, and you get 10% off!!!

Comment

I buy the bags of frozen chicken tenderloins from Trader Joe's and just throw it on the stove for each meal. They're small pieces so they cook fast even from frozen. And I work from home so I have the flexibility of cooking things as I need them.

2017 NPC National Championships Classic Physique, Class D - 4th Place
            2017 NPC New England Championships Classic Physique, Class C - 1st Place
            2017 NPC East Coast Cup Classic Physique, Tall Class - 1st Place & Overall
            2015 Arnold Amateur Men's Classic Bodybuilding, Tall Class - 4th Place
            2013 NPC Europa Battle of Champions - 1st Place Novice Heavyweight, 2nd Place Open Light-Heavyweight

Comment

Never even thought about using a crock pot...that seems so much simpler than grilling in the cold/snow. I was just looking at the forecast for the next few days to see when it makes the most sense to grill...might just grab the crock pot instead. Thanks, Hop...

-s
              "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a pussy."

"Carry 24/7 or guess right."

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

"993 yo f9t[n9y[I8itineraryBMiy v][/t u 98 oh 99 u]y8y u[/hy jyip NH j o have I h"

Comment

Originally posted by moco View Post
                I buy the bags of frozen chicken tenderloins from Trader Joe's and just throw it on the stove for each meal. .

Tenderloins for the win! So much more palatable than standard chicken breast.

Comment

My wife and I do a bulk cook on Saturday. We usually buy $250 worth of chicken breast seperated into about 4-5 bags. 1 bag does us for the week with a few spare meals. I just sprinkle some salt onto them and chuck them on a George Foreman style grill press. Comes out really moist and not dry thankfully.

Comment

Awesome that your wife is down with the same lifestyle choices!
                    Makes it a ton easier when u got that kinda support
                    I see you didn't take a s#!t before deadlifting....
                    I too like to live dangerously

Comment

I marinate the chicken in lemon juice for a few hours, and sometimes Adobo seasoning. The lemon juice keeps it from drying out.
                      Then I put it on my Weber Grill. I will say that the Weber makes all of the difference. Although it was a very expensive investment, I have never tasted better chicken.

Another way to do it if you don't have a grill is to put the chicken in a roasting pan covered in Soy Sauce. When the soy sauce is cooked away in the oven, the chicken stays moist. Justin Harris suggested this method in his book "Performance Nutrition".
                      "The Dude Abides" Please Use Discount Code: JNC825

Comment

I usually grill around 5 lbs at a time which lasts for 9 meals. It tends to get a little dry so I'll have to try this out. My wife has done meat in the crock pot like this but I never thought of doing it.
                        2014 KC All Star Championships 5th novice mw
                        2015 KC All Star Championships 3rd open mw, 3rd masters 40+
                        2016 Branch Warren 1st masters 40+, 3rd open mw

Comment

Originally posted by DC_catholic315 View Post
                          Awesome that your wife is down with the same lifestyle choices!
                          Makes it a ton easier when u got that kinda support

Absolutely! We both lean on each other for support in pretty much everything. She's definitely a keeper

Comment

I've used the crock pot for years. . . I usually use water at a base and add a bit of the chicken stock and also worcestershire sauce, minced garlic, onion chunks, and other spices desired. . . . when it's done just fish out the chicken and you have some pretty bad ass tasting chicken. . . better than the same old-same old

JessicaG

Comment

I used to cook them in a crock pot but honestly it seemed to take to long. Even on high it would be 2 hours. Do the new ones cook any faster? I switched over to just laying out 5 breasts each in 2 large baking dishes (which works well as I buy them in bulk with 10 in each) and in 25 minutes I am done. Only bad part is if it goes over, I have 10 extremely dry awful chicken breasts to choke down. Risk and reward I guess

Comment

Working...
                              X