What is your idea of your IDEAL gym?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your idea of your IDEAL gym?

Some people only care about atmosphere and others care about how well equipped it is while others care about how much ass they get to watch.

I know what I look for in the all-ellusive gym ideal but what do YOU look for? If you were to find your perfect gym what would it look like?

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
    Instagram: @intensemuscle
    YouTube: TEAMSKIP
    TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Hmmm

-Something in the contract that stipulates members must re-rack weights when they are done using them. I have friends that are convinced re-rack means leaving 45 lb plates on the bar, which isn't even fair to the guy that likes to use an empty bar on his first warmup set before working up to 315 plus. Or maybe a gym that rewards members who re-rack weights.

-Music levels that can't be heard through a pair of headphones, which is just distracting.

-A solid floor... I'm not kidding about this one. I had my balance shaken during Squats yesterday from a guy that was dropping a 275 pound bar doing his deadlifts right behind me. I understand sometimes people fail on a rep and this can't always be prevented, but I'm not sure what else would resolve the issue.

-No restricted areas or equipment limited to specific classes. My gym used to have TRX bands and multiple rowers out in the open, but recently closed that section of the gym with glass walls. Now, you can't use the equipment anymore unless it is as part of a class.

-Temperature control.

-Available accessories... I bring my own straps, belt, etc. But it would be nice if the gym provided more than 1 dip belt for members to use. The first serious gym I went to when I was younger had an Inzer Forever belt with years and years of use on it. I think every single serious lifter appreciated having the belt available for use. Looking back, I wish I can track down whoever is in possession of that belt because it is seemingly impossible to break one in so well on my own.

-Prompt repair of equipment. Remember the 1 dip belt I mentioned? It broke over a month ago and they haven't replaced it yet. A gym with thousands of members can't afford to replace a dip belt? Such a joke.

-A gym that is willing to improve. My gym has about 30 treadmills, 15 ellipticals, 6 stair climbers, etc. I'd say the most treadmills I've ever seen in use at once was 25, but the average is 10-15. Meanwhile the stairclimbers almost always require a wait during busy hours. Why not get a few more? Or why not get a third power rack when you don't even have a Squat rack and half the people using the power racks are doing shrugs?

-Equipment... this is the only thing that will make me choose a gym, while the things above will make me consider leaving a gym. The only reason I go to my gym is because they have every type of cardio machine and piece of equipment you can ask for. Plus they have a pool, which is rare in my area, and is the only thing that keeps me there.

-Olympic Weights would be a draw for me. Most gyms don't have them, or even allow the mess of using chalk. I think gyms can attract more members by providing one or two Olympic lifting areas where the use of chalk is allowed.
    "If people were 1/10th as worried about the rest of their meals as they were about the post workout shake, there would be a hell of a lot more people looking like bodybuilders. "
    -Trop

Comment

So do you care that the place is hardcore more than well-equipped or no? I am getting from you that you put equipment over atmosphere. Yes?

Skip

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

I like hardcore AND well-equipped. But if I had to pick one thing I'd pick the atmosphere. Old equipment (but quality and functioning, and safe), bodybuilding posters on the walls, loud fast music... I actually prefer some of the older versions of certain pieces of equipment like leg presses and leg extensions. As long as there are dumbbells, barbells, and plenty of iron (and at least some cables and machines) then you can get the job done. And you just can't find that hardcore atmosphere in many places anymore - there's something about it that really cranks up the intensity.

Closest thing to that near me is Hard Nocks gym - I've trained there a few times, the place is tiny and old but you can't help but train balls to the wall. Many of the regulars there have their own set of keys and can go in whenever they want. When I trained there it was after hours so there were just a few of us there and we cranked up the music and got to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qP6Ho4WCZNQ

I'm currently working on assembling a gym in a basement with that sort of feel to it.
        moco
        IM Moderator/Intense Muscle Competitor
        Last edited by moco; 01-08-2015, 08:58 PM.

2017 NPC National Championships Classic Physique, Class D - 4th Place
        2017 NPC New England Championships Classic Physique, Class C - 1st Place
        2017 NPC East Coast Cup Classic Physique, Tall Class - 1st Place & Overall
        2015 Arnold Amateur Men's Classic Bodybuilding, Tall Class - 4th Place
        2013 NPC Europa Battle of Champions - 1st Place Novice Heavyweight, 2nd Place Open Light-Heavyweight

Comment

Originally posted by Ken "Skip" Hill View Post
          So do you care that the place is hardcore more than well-equipped or no? I am getting from you that you put equipment over atmosphere. Yes?

Skip
          If no one and no thing (eg. a planet fitness grunt alarm) is interfering with my workouts, then I'll take equipment over atmosphere any day. However, if two gyms had a comparable level of equipment, I'd go for the hardcore one any day. I can care less about the social aspect of a gym.
          mhschiefs97
          Middleweight Member
          Last edited by mhschiefs97; 01-08-2015, 09:43 PM.
          "If people were 1/10th as worried about the rest of their meals as they were about the post workout shake, there would be a hell of a lot more people looking like bodybuilders. "
          -Trop

Comment

Equipment- ample squat racks, bars, plates, and dumbells. All in good shape, with a good quanity in house. Have loaner equipment (belts, wrist wraps etc), and a turfed area for tire flips and prowler use.
            Training areas- cables in one area, circuit machines in another, cardio (bikes, rowers, steppers and elipticals) in a sectioned off room.
            Ages- no kids under 18 unless accompanied by an adult over 18. No more than two kids per adult. Must stay with them at all times.
            Atmosphere- no 'pressure' to be the big dog, but have trainers around to teach and spot as needed. Pay them decently and include training sessions as a 'perk' for higher membership levels. Intense music, uncensored. Metal and rock in the weights rooms, something upbeat in cardio.

J
            "No man ever won a war by dieing for his county. He did it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his."

George Patton

Get your Protein where the real men get theirs, TrueProtein.com

5% off with Dicount code JNR490, and 10% off orders over 10 lbs!!!

Comment

Oh shit, I freakin' love that place. If I opened a gym I would want it just like that but ... it wouldn't make much money. To make money you have to cater to normal people and normal people won't train there Bummer.

Skip
              Originally posted by moco View Post
              I like hardcore AND well-equipped. But if I had to pick one thing I'd pick the atmosphere. Old equipment (but quality and functioning, and safe), bodybuilding posters on the walls, loud fast music... I actually prefer some of the older versions of certain pieces of equipment like leg presses and leg extensions. As long as there are dumbbells, barbells, and plenty of iron (and at least some cables and machines) then you can get the job done. And you just can't find that hardcore atmosphere in many places anymore - there's something about it that really cranks up the intensity.

Closest thing to that near me is Hard Nocks gym - I've trained there a few times, the place is tiny and old but you can't help but train balls to the wall. Many of the regulars there have their own set of keys and can go in whenever they want. When I trained there it was after hours so there were just a few of us there and we cranked up the music and got to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qP6Ho4WCZNQ

I'm currently working on assembling a gym in a basement with that sort of feel to it.

Comment

I will admit here (and I probably shouldn't) that I am considering opening a gym at some point in the next few years. If I do, my current thoughts are to do a relatively regular gym that is well-equipped but have a back room or basement that is only for the big boys and those that are unstable. The big boy room would be much like the video above but probably only a few pieces of hammer equipment as I would want it old school, worm, rugged and muggy. The rest of the gym would be well-equipped and hammer strength with nice dumbbells and that sort of thing. That way, it would cater to everyone.

Skip

Comment

I will admit here (and I probably shouldn't) that I am considering opening a gym at some point in the next few years. If I do, my current thoughts are to do a relatively regular gym that is well-equipped but have a back room or basement that is only for the big boys and those that are unstable. The big boy room would be much like the video above but probably only a few pieces of hammer equipment as I would want it old school, worm, rugged and muggy. The rest of the gym would be well-equipped and hammer strength with nice dumbbells and that sort of thing. That way, it would cater to everyone.

Skip
                  I think one of the benefits you can have with opening your own gym is having an expert like yourself in house. I go to a regular gym and occasionally do cardio with a good friend that competes in Bikini. However, she drives 45 minutes out of the way once a week to go meet with a trainer at his gym because he helps her with meal planning and workout programming.

Our gym only has the types of trainers that are qualified to train a New Years Resolutioner or a couch potato who's doctor told them to lose weight. If your members have all the resources they need to reach their goals in house, then that can definitely be a big appeal.

Also, when I was in high school and joined a new gym that opened up locally, I started to enjoy talking about working out with the owner there. He was a big freaking dude. Biggest one I had ever met at the time. He was always willing to talk to his members and get to know them and offer advice when possible. He definitely helped market his gym instead of just letting the equipment and atmosphere speak for it. Hell, maybe thats why Crossfit gyms are so successful. They have really made fitness more personal and more of a lifestyle, which is hard for a Resolutioner to get in a huge overwhelming gym.
                  -Trop

Comment

Ken-

Im on the fence about equipment vs atmosphere. ...I train around 0500 so basically I AM thr atmosphere although I do love being around bodybuilders, powerlifters etc. Competitive athletes tend to move with purpose and can be a great motivator when your tired, distracted etc

As for equipment dream gym:

Olympic weights and competition bars and benches
                    various odd bars (safety, trap, fat, football etc...)
                    Racks that accommodate bands
                    Strongman implements (farmers, log etc)
                    Prowler
                    bodybuilding specific machines like Hammer
                    Vertical smith
                    Quality pull-over machine.

Thats pretty much it
                    '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
                    17 AAU Super Total
                    '16-AAU Hi
                    '15-USPA Metro
                    '15-USPA State
                    '15-AAU HI
                    '14-AAU HI
                    '14-USPA Metro
                    '14-WABDL Sonny's
                    '14-USPA State
                    '14-HI Strongman
                    '13-USPA
                    '13-WABDL Sonny's
                    '13-USPA State
                    '13-AAU HI
                    '11-USPA Metro
                    '10-NPC Stingrey
                    '09-NPC Islands
                    '09-NPC Stingrey
                    '09-ABA Islands
                    '02-ABA Islands
                    '02-ABA IronWorks
                    '01-NPC Paradise Cup
                    '01-ABA Olympia
                    '01-ABA Islands
                    '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
                    '00-INBF Musclefest
                    '98-NGA Ill
                    '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

I've never worked out in a commercial gym in my entire life. I started out with a basic set of weights my dad had and then as I got more serious I purchased items and have had everything I need for about 6 years now. So while I'm familiar with gym problems: waiting for equipment, people who curl in the squat rack, bad music etc, I've never had to experience them. That being said, if I was to go to a commercial gym, I'd want an atmosphere like Temple Gym. When I'm training I just want to be left alone.

Comment

I will always take equipment over atmosphere. I have been doing this too long to rely on anyone else for "intensity" but it would be a nice addition to a well-equipped gym. Usually, you have to pick between the 2, though.

Skip

Comment

[QUOTE=Ken "Skip" Hill;1103263]I will admit here (and I probably shouldn't) that I am considering opening a gym at some point in the next few years. If I do, my current thoughts are to do a relatively regular gym that is well-equipped but have a back room or basement that is only for the big boys and those that are unstable. The big boy room would be much like the video above but probably only a few pieces of hammer equipment as I would want it old school, worm, rugged and muggy. The rest of the gym would be well-equipped and hammer strength with nice dumbbells and that sort of thing. That way, it would cater to everyone.

Skip[/QUOTE

Now this is what I want to hear!!
                          Best ideal I've heard in forever.
                          I've been telling my wife for years I'd love to open a gym just like this.
                          But I'm poor, and no one would want to lend me that kind of cash.
                          Just make sure it's got good access from us here in the hills (which considering where you guys also live I'm sure It'd be )
                          And I'll be one happy mofo!

As long as I could occasionally go in the "big boy room "

Comment

Skip
                            Lee Haney's Animal Kingdom was like that. The regular gym was in the front and then you walk to the back outside to a caged area where the truly dedicated trained.

Comment

I've trained at gyms ranging from hardcore basement gyms to all-inclusive health resorts. As much as I hate to admit it, I would prefer a gym with a little of both. I want access to the good bodybuilding equipment, I like the hardcore atmosphere, but I also like the bunnies bouncing around. The gym is a good place to get filled up on eye candy. If it is too hardcore the beauties get scared away. Probably the best mix of this I ever experienced was Racquetball World in Fullerton. It was a five-star facility. The weight room was fully equipped with the latest equipment at the time (Flex was big back then...before Hammer Str). The weight room had competitive bodybuilders like Shawn Ray, Boyer Coe along with some accomplished powerlifters. But there was also a heavy dose of beach babes, all when silicone boobs were still version 1.0
                              Family Guy but also; Old School SoCal, punk rock loving, powerlifting, hardcore gym rat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtLQ73EutoY

Comment

Working...
                              X