Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does spending money on bodybuilding help you lift harder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does spending money on bodybuilding help you lift harder?

Do you find that being heavily financially invested in bodybuilding adds extra fire to your workouts? I'm always thinking, "What kind of an idiot am I to spend so much money on food every week?" But then as I head into the gym I think, "Since I AM so heavily invested, I absolutely cannot let myself down during this workout. I must justify the expense to the extent possible, and the only way to do that is with pain." I would imagine that many gear users must think, "I know I'm probably hurting my overall health with this stuff, but as long as that's the path I'm taking, I will not let myself down in the gym."
    "Be kind, friendly and lenient towards your fellow man, but unrelenting and pitiless with yourself." -- Franz Bardon

Does spending money on bodybuilding help you lift harder?

No, I train hard because I train hard and I enjoy training hard.., not some placebo. The money I spend on it doesn't cross my mind.

Sone people are externally motivated, others are internally motivated. The internally motivated ones are usually the ones with true passion for the endeavor. They enjoy it for what it is...
    Last edited by mentalflex; 12-18-2014, 07:38 PM.
    Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
    2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
    2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

im with Kris on this---ive been training for 30 years so i was training my balls off when i had zero $$ invested and nothing has changed ...
      '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
      17 AAU Super Total
      '16-AAU Hi
      '15-USPA Metro
      '15-USPA State
      '15-AAU HI
      '14-AAU HI
      '14-USPA Metro
      '14-WABDL Sonny's
      '14-USPA State
      '14-HI Strongman
      '13-USPA
      '13-WABDL Sonny's
      '13-USPA State
      '13-AAU HI
      '11-USPA Metro
      '10-NPC Stingrey
      '09-NPC Islands
      '09-NPC Stingrey
      '09-ABA Islands
      '02-ABA Islands
      '02-ABA IronWorks
      '01-NPC Paradise Cup
      '01-ABA Olympia
      '01-ABA Islands
      '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
      '00-INBF Musclefest
      '98-NGA Ill
      '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

I have never once spent money on BBing that was being taken away from my family (and we have 4 kids). When I first started, if I couldn't afford protein powder I wouldn't buy and I certainly couldn't afford to shop at Whole Foods or buy more expensive cuts of meat, etc.. As I made more money I would buy those things.

I get your question, though, and being in this sport for a very long time I have certainly seen people spend their money on me as a prep guy, gear, supplements, etc., and not be able to afford it. I am certain there are bodybuilders with shitty credit due in large part to buying gear and paying for bodybuilding.

Ultimately, we can judge whether that is responsible or not but the reality is that each individual has the right to do what they want to do when it comes to these things. I am no angel and I have certainly overspent on things in my life but I don't ever recall it being bodybuilding - if for no other reason than guilt.

ADD: I am actually more concerned with the investment of time vs. money. I feel that the time sometimes takes away from my family so I spend more time managing that than I do having to manage money.

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
        Instagram: @intensemuscle
        YouTube: TEAMSKIP
        TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

ADD: I am actually more concerned with the investment of time vs. money. I feel that the time sometimes takes away from my family so I spend more time managing that than I do having to manage money

THIS
          '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
          17 AAU Super Total
          '16-AAU Hi
          '15-USPA Metro
          '15-USPA State
          '15-AAU HI
          '14-AAU HI
          '14-USPA Metro
          '14-WABDL Sonny's
          '14-USPA State
          '14-HI Strongman
          '13-USPA
          '13-WABDL Sonny's
          '13-USPA State
          '13-AAU HI
          '11-USPA Metro
          '10-NPC Stingrey
          '09-NPC Islands
          '09-NPC Stingrey
          '09-ABA Islands
          '02-ABA Islands
          '02-ABA IronWorks
          '01-NPC Paradise Cup
          '01-ABA Olympia
          '01-ABA Islands
          '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
          '00-INBF Musclefest
          '98-NGA Ill
          '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

I'm with Skip on this one 100%.

Use my discount code JHR112 and get 5% off at TrueProtein.com

"Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder, but don't nobody wanna lift no heavy-ass weight!"-Ronnie Coleman

GET THE DAMN WEIGHT UP AND BEAT THE LOGBOOK WITH BIG WEIGHT JUMPS-Dante

Comment

Originally posted by trucelt View Post
              ADD: I am actually more concerned with the investment of time vs. money. I feel that the time sometimes takes away from my family so I spend more time managing that than I do having to manage money

THIS

I'll add this to my post... My fiancé and I spend time together at the gym. It allows us to bond on another level.

We enjoy what we do and buy the food we do because we love it, not fir any other reason . It we didn't enjoy it we wouldn't do it
              Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
              2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
              2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Oh, I promise, I am addicted to the iron for its own sake. I just find that spending the amount of money on food that I must to bulk up gives me even more motivation because I'm so heavily invested.
                "Be kind, friendly and lenient towards your fellow man, but unrelenting and pitiless with yourself." -- Franz Bardon

Comment

Skip makes a great point, especially the Time Vs Money topic. Time is the only thing we cant purchase
                  Discount code BDM999
                  By using Jerzey's code you will experience service that is unsurpassed, I take the guess work out of saving you money!

Comment

In regards to time

There are days I need to be up 4am to get my workout in due to early meetings etc...on those days if i come in feeling lackluster, I tend to get pissed at myself and think "if you were going to train like a p*ssy, you might as well have slept in....I didn't get up at 0400 for this bullsh*t"

That usually fires me up..
                    Last edited by trucelt; 12-19-2014, 10:49 AM. Reason: error
                    '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
                    17 AAU Super Total
                    '16-AAU Hi
                    '15-USPA Metro
                    '15-USPA State
                    '15-AAU HI
                    '14-AAU HI
                    '14-USPA Metro
                    '14-WABDL Sonny's
                    '14-USPA State
                    '14-HI Strongman
                    '13-USPA
                    '13-WABDL Sonny's
                    '13-USPA State
                    '13-AAU HI
                    '11-USPA Metro
                    '10-NPC Stingrey
                    '09-NPC Islands
                    '09-NPC Stingrey
                    '09-ABA Islands
                    '02-ABA Islands
                    '02-ABA IronWorks
                    '01-NPC Paradise Cup
                    '01-ABA Olympia
                    '01-ABA Islands
                    '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
                    '00-INBF Musclefest
                    '98-NGA Ill
                    '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

My wife and I enjoy time training together as well; hitting the gym together, food prep, shopping, motivating each other, etc. It's great to have something like this that we both look forward to doing together.

As far as investing money in this sport goes, for us, spending money on hiring someone like Skip was a good investment in nutritional and training education. Both my wife and I have, and with the busy lives both of us have, it DOES motivate me to stay the course with a goal. It also frees up our time as there is no second guessing when it's all laid out and changed when needed.

IMO, being able to fess up to your trainer, and hold yourself accountable if you fall on a pizza, is money well spent. Doing your own diet/training is also rewarding, but ‎I'm at that point where I'd rather go with a coach to free up my over-thinking time. I have no guilt or spending remorse on something like this.

"I don't care what anyone blows up your ass, you ain't sore you don't gain shit..." ~ InHuman

Comment

I think for a lot of people, not most people on here but a big chunk of people find if they spend money on their bodybuilding or fitness goals they tend to work harder. It is the mentality that "Well i spent money on this and that so I need to work hard now, otherwise I am wasting my money."

Comment

Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
                          No, I train hard because I train hard and I enjoy training hard.., not some placebo. The money I spend on it doesn't cross my mind.

Sone people are externally motivated, others are internally motivated. The internally motivated ones are usually the ones with true passion for the endeavor. They enjoy it for what it is...
                          I Agree!!
                          "SET NO LIMITS"

"When the knees hurt you just wrap tighter."-Skip

2015 NPC Supplement Express:
                          2014 NPC Sun City Regional:
                          2013 NPC Sun City Classic:
                          2010 NPC Virginia Grand Prix:
                          2002 NPC Western Carolina:
                          2002 NPC North Carolina State:

Use Discount Code MMH353..

Comment

Not lift harder, that comes internally for me and I’m in agreement with the others, but it does help keep me on track with eating and keeping my goals in perspective. I tend to buy a week’s worth of food at time, so on Sunday when I spend all the money on grass-fed beef, free range organic eggs, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, chicken, tuna, jasmine rice etc; the cost helps keep me in check when on a random Tuesday or something I might go longer than I’d like between meals because of work and start craving junk food. I consider two things:

1. It’s not functional to my goals

2. I spent the time and money in advance

Comment

Working...
                            X