Studies on gut growth as people age?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studies on gut growth as people age?

There has to be SOMETHING out there about gut growth as people age - even outside of bodybuilding. Anyone have ANYTHING on visceral fat, stretching of the stomach and/or intestines, organs, intra-abdominal fluid rentention, etc.?? ANYTHING?

Kwashiorkur (sp?) disease?

I can't believe there is nothing so I am going to start looking.

If you have anything, post it here.

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
    Instagram: @intensemuscle
    YouTube: TEAMSKIP
    TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

I am looking as well... something of relevance is that low and decreasing levels of testosterone tend to be correlated with increase in visceral fat. As testosterone decreases as men age there is higher likelihood of developing visceral fat...

According to the Mayo Clinic, "in some men fat cells in the arms and legs lose the ability to store fat, which causes any excess fat to go to the abdomen." http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-li...t/art-20045685
    Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
    2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
    2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

I'm curious about this too, but also curious about gaining fat on the face. I was talking about this with some of my gym friends, who seem to feel that as they get older, even when they get real lean, their faces appear to hold more fat/ water than a few yrs ago.

Comment

Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
        I am looking as well... something of relevance is that low and decreasing levels of testosterone tend to be correlated with increase in visceral fat. As testosterone decreases as men age there is higher likelihood of developing visceral fat...

According to the Mayo Clinic, "in some men fat cells in the arms and legs lose the ability to store fat, which causes any excess fat to go to the abdomen." http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-li...t/art-20045685
        I can see visceral fat as a big part of the problem but not from decreasing test levels - at least in my case because I have had high exogenous levels of test for years and still have had this issue. It could be related to estrogen because any time something says "decreasing levels of test" they might as well say "increasing levels of estrogen" but I have managed my estrogen levels well and have the blood work to prove it. Still, there is likely a connection but I feel strongly that there is more to it.

Skip

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Originally posted by Skinnyrunt View Post
          I'm curious about this too, but also curious about gaining fat on the face. I was talking about this with some of my gym friends, who seem to feel that as they get older, even when they get real lean, their faces appear to hold more fat/ water than a few yrs ago.

I have noticed this with the face, as well. Weird thing is that some women actually go the OTHER way. My wife used to have a baby face - rounder, softer, etc.. These days no matter how much weight she might gain her face stays incredibly lean. The only thing I have seen (besides age) is that she started to use gh around the time that this started to happen but upon cessation of the gh after about a year or so, it never changed. I am not sure if it is a coincidence or if the gh is a major contributing factor.

Skip

Comment

I'll dig into this later if folks are interested, but we know of these two things:

Creeping obesity: after the age of about 25 (until the 50's or so - these stats have probably worsened in the past decade), the average American gains 1lb of body weight / year but loses a ½ lb of fat-free mass. This obviously is a worsening of body comp.

Add to that the high prevalence of metabolic syndrome which is characterized by visceral adiposity and you've got "creeping gut growth."

-S
            The Book Has Arrived!
            The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
            2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
            2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

Originally posted by homonunculus View Post
              I'll dig into this later if folks are interested, but we know of these two things:

Creeping obesity: after the age of about 25 (until the 50's or so - these stats have probably worsened in the past decade), the average American gains 1lb of body weight / year but loses a ½ lb of fat-free mass. This obviously is a worsening of body comp.

Add to that the high prevalence of metabolic syndrome which is characterized by visceral adiposity and you've got "creeping gut growth."

-S
              I can agree with the above but ... how does that pertain to someone like myself that stays very lean almost all of the time and doesn't have a problem with test levels or estrogen levels?
              I am not referring to the problem in mainstream society as much as I am in the bodybuilding community.

Skip

Comment

Originally posted by Ken "Skip" Hill View Post
                I can see visceral fat as a big part of the problem but not from decreasing test levels - at least in my case because I have had high exogenous levels of test for years and still have had this issue. It could be related to estrogen because any time something says "decreasing levels of test" they might as well say "increasing levels of estrogen" but I have managed my estrogen levels well and have the blood work to prove it. Still, there is likely a connection but I feel strongly that there is more to it.

Skip

Very true... These studies are not taking into account those maintaining normal hormone profiles through the use of exogenous compounds. There is definitely a missing puzzle piece (for me at least) in understanding the increase in stomach size...
                Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
                2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
                2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

There has to be SOMETHING out there about gut growth as people age - even outside of bodybuilding. Anyone have ANYTHING on visceral fat, stretching of the stomach and/or intestines, organs, intra-abdominal fluid rentention, etc.?? ANYTHING?

Kwashiorkur (sp?) disease?

I can't believe there is nothing so I am going to start looking.

If you have anything, post it here.

Skip
                  I can agree with the above but ... how does that pertain to someone like myself that stays very lean almost all of the time and doesn't have a problem with test levels or estrogen levels?
                  I am not referring to the problem in mainstream society as much as I am in the bodybuilding community.

Skip

LOL - Well, Jeez, make up your mind!!! LOL

Bodybuilders in your situation are an entirely different question, of course.

(I've got too many thoughts on this one and it's getting late. More ASAP.)

-S
                  The Book Has Arrived!
                  The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

Comment

I look forward to your perspective.

I am pretty curious about the Kwashiorkur question, though, because how a lack of protein can cause that rounded gut is something that intrigues me. Clearly, none of us are low on protein but I don't know how the lack of protein causes that distention.

Skip

Comment

I look forward to your perspective.

I am pretty curious about the Kwashiorkur question, though, because how a lack of protein can cause that rounded gut is something that intrigues me. Clearly, none of us are low on protein but I don't know how the lack of protein causes that distention.

Skip
                      Well, here's an answer on kwashiorkor:

Enlarged fatty liver and fluid retention in general, esp. involving lympathics (many are around the GI tract).

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/6/3/298.full.pdf

-S
                      The Book Has Arrived!
                      The Book Has Arrived!

www.TrueNutrition.com

Comment

I will check this out later tonight when I get time. Thanks.

Skip

Comment

Ken-

as we age do we lose the ability to process food efficiently? im not talking about a slower metabolim

I know alot of folks over 40 who seem to have all kinds of issue with digestion...crohns, IBS etc. I know i do from time to time and i can have a flat relatively lean midsection and 24 hours late have a distended abdomen (without haveing a full stomach!!)

also i think people tend to have alot more issues with inflammation
                          '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
                          17 AAU Super Total
                          '16-AAU Hi
                          '15-USPA Metro
                          '15-USPA State
                          '15-AAU HI
                          '14-AAU HI
                          '14-USPA Metro
                          '14-WABDL Sonny's
                          '14-USPA State
                          '14-HI Strongman
                          '13-USPA