Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which split if you can`t do hard leg work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which split if you can`t do hard leg work?

I had an accident with my bike. On that I broke my right leg and tore the left one. Bad shit...

Now I`m looking for a good solid two way split which I can train frequent. I read a lot of stuff from Scott and love to train everything 3 times a week.
    Original a did the DC split on 6 days (worked great). But now I think I should change it, because the bicep/leg day would be very empty:mad2:

Has anyone a good two way for my situation or any tips?

If it were me in this situation id do the Upper body with slighty higher volume along the lines of chest, tris delts one session and back and bis another: as the leg recovered id add in quad work on the "chest" day and hams on the "back" day as the work would have to be too light to make up a full session initially then when the workout became taxing enough id switch back to the origional template, perhaps with higher reps on the Lower day

Comment

When I was in a similar situation, what I did was to simply scale down the intensity of my leg movements and get all the weights down. I still followed a regular split. Doesn't make sense to me why you should train in a different split.

500 pound squats became 135 squats and light leg extensions; front squats became light one legged leg presses, and so on. You want to avoid too much vertical pressure on your leg bones, only enough to get yourself healing again. Also, how much time has passed since that accident ? Did you get any repair surgery done on your torn leg or on the broken one ?

If you want to train everything 3x a week, try the old Phil Hernon split. Or you can do what I did and return to a traditional once a week set-up and experiment a little bit with higher-volume. Eithe way I hope I've helped!
      "If you're ready to do DC, you're not gonna give a flying f*(k about fatigue from the previous exercise. You get under the bar and kill it, each and every time." - homonunculus

"Nothing better than coming to IM and seeing a Wall of Text next to that big Tricep pic." - Lonnie123

“Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.” - Homer

The scale doesn't show a number. When he steps on it, it simply reads: Big Mother Fucker. - Skip

Comment

Originally posted by Coops01 View Post
        If it were me in this situation id do the Upper body with slighty higher volume along the lines of chest, tris delts one session and back and bis another: as the leg recovered id add in quad work on the "chest" day and hams on the "back" day as the work would have to be too light to make up a full session initially then when the workout became taxing enough id switch back to the origional template, perhaps with higher reps on the Lower day
        Sounds good to me. Maybe I would give it a try.

Originally posted by 0001Delta View Post
        When I was in a similar situation, what I did was to simply scale down the intensity of my leg movements and get all the weights down. I still followed a regular split. Doesn't make sense to me why you should train in a different split.

500 pound squats became 135 squats and light leg extensions; front squats became light one legged leg presses, and so on. You want to avoid too much vertical pressure on your leg bones, only enough to get yourself healing again. Also, how much time has passed since that accident ? Did you get any repair surgery done on your torn leg or on the broken one ?

If you want to train everything 3x a week, try the old Phil Hernon split. Or you can do what I did and return to a traditional once a week set-up and experiment a little bit with higher-volume. Eithe way I hope I've helped!
        Well, the thing is I can`t squat or leg press right now. The accident was 3 days ago. So I have a hard time right know. The doctor said we will wait with surgery and try some PT instead. Maybe I will have surgery on the broken one.

Which one is Phils old split. Is it the BBB one?

Thank you both for help.

Comment

Gotta appreciate a guy who broke his leg THREE DAYS ago and is already looking to get back in the gym. I bet 99% of the guys on this website are the same exact way. We are the lunatic fringe.
          Family Guy but also; Old School SoCal, punk rock loving, powerlifting, hardcore gym rat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtLQ73EutoY

Comment

Originally posted by Swaminator View Post
            Gotta appreciate a guy who broke his leg THREE DAYS ago and is already looking to get back in the gym. I bet 99% of the guys on this website are the same exact way. We are the lunatic fringe.
            I can beat that: Years ago I dropped a 45# on my foot and shattered my big toe. After I went to the ER and got X-rayed, I went back to the gym to finish my shoulder workout.

That was when I was fucking retarded about lifting, though.
            Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
            kind of a douche

Comment

Originally posted by Sammich View Post
              I can beat that: Years ago I dropped a 45# on my foot and shattered my big toe. After I went to the ER and got X-rayed, I went back to the gym to finish my shoulder workout.

That was when I was fucking retarded about lifting, though.
              Damn... Reminds me of the time I totaled my car by rear ending someone and refused any medical treatment so that I could go to the gym. Lol at the dumb shit we do when were young and naive.
              How long can you go without believing in YOURSELF, before you are officially dead!

This isn't "Tea-Time Relaxy-Muscle", this is INTENSE Muscle. Bring something to the table or don't fucking show up. - Sammich

Comment

Originally posted by Swaminator View Post
                Man, the only thing I hate right now is walking into the gym and see a guy who is squatting 100 pounds, rest and then take his mobile phone to post a picture about his gigantic legs.
                I would give so much if I could squat at the moment.

But it`s nice to know that there are guys like you out there.

Comment

Working...
                X