sleep apnea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sleep apnea

In the last episode of PED, Skip touched on people getting sleep apnea under control. Wanted to start a thread about my experience since i have not seen any other discussion here about it.

I decided to go in and get a sleep study done just because i had already hit my deductible on ins for the year and i pay a stupid amount for premiums so might as well make the most of it. Results of first study were avg of 20 episodes per hour. While thats not crazy high my oxygen level stayed below 88% 6 1/2 hours out of a 7 1/2 hour study. Doc put me on cpap and i have been on it about 6 weeks now. Its incredible at the difference it has made. I am still getting used to wearing it but my quality of sleep is much better. Mental clarity is better, blood pressure is better, even my gym sessions are better. Overall recovery seems much improved for such a short time. i have even cut back on my caffeine intake just because i don't feel the need for it. My only regret is not getting the study done long before now.
    6/22/13 - 2013 NPC VICTORY CLASSIC
    1st - Novice Men's Lightheavy & Novice overall

Not sure of the proper terminology - but did you get the big mask or the little mask? I'm almost positive I have a fairly severe case sleep apnea, but I am avoiding the test because I get claustrophobic just thinking about having a mask over my mouth and nose.

My GP said that they have masks that are quite a bit less intrusive than those of 10-15 years ago, but the only ones I've ever seen looks like they came straight from the set of Top Gun.

Comment

Originally posted by rainjack View Post
      Not sure of the proper terminology - but did you get the big mask or the little mask? I'm almost positive I have a fairly severe case sleep apnea, but I am avoiding the test because I get claustrophobic just thinking about having a mask over my mouth and nose.

My GP said that they have masks that are quite a bit less intrusive than those of 10-15 years ago, but the only ones I've ever seen looks like they came straight from the set of Top Gun.
      I have the smaller ones. They are called nasal pillows. You would just have to try the different styles to see what you like. I won't lie its still kinda aggravating but I think I will get more used to it over time. I will deal with it for the benefits.

This is the one I use.
      http://imgcdn.thecpapshop.com/catalo...im.logos_2.jpg
      6/22/13 - 2013 NPC VICTORY CLASSIC
      1st - Novice Men's Lightheavy & Novice overall

Comment

This is a good topic, and something I'm familiar with myself.

As I gained weight (read fat!) my snoring and apnea got worse. About 30 odd episodes an hour. As I was eating copious amounts of shit food at the time, I would often choke on my own vomit during the night. Not a pleasent thing to wake up to at 1am in the morning!

Thankfully I cleaned up the diet and lost the weight. I tried out the cpap machine some years ago but just couldn't handle it. Spent the first 2 hours lying in bed not getting a wink of sleep, and the next 2 hours of burping and farting the excess air out of my gut!

In the end, I used a device called Somnomed. http://somnomed.com

Once I got the device, I had a sleep test done with and without it. The difference was night and day. It was a great alternative for me to cpap therapy. I still use it today, but not so regularly. Although I woke up this morning pretty tired, so may need to break it out again!

The only downside to using the Somnomed device, is that you can't take it home and trial it. As it's a dental piece that's moulded to your mouth. I paid $1850 AUS for it, which is a lot of money to pay for something that may or may not work. But for me it ended up being money well spent.

Comment

I was diagnosed with it over 5 years ago. I started out with CPAP but it was very difficult for me to handle the constant pressure from the machine. My pressure levels are pretty high and I was swallowing a ton of air. I also started with just the nasal pillows. Those did not work well so I switched to a mask that covered just my nose. That sucked too. My mouth opens when I sleep so all the air pushing through my nostrils was coming right out of my mouth. I eventually went to a Bi-Pap and a full face mask. Best thing ever! I don't EVER sleep without it. If I do (usually lay down for a sec before putting the mask on and fall right asleep) I feel unbelievably awful the next day. While I am very used to the machine and the mask I have recently started looking into the possibility of surgery to fix the issues that cause the apnea. Mine is not related to weight, it is genetic.
          Save yourself 5% on all your TRUENUTRITION orders by using discount code MTM281

My Training Log Here at IM

"Success is neither magical nor mysterious. Success is the natural consequence of consistently applying the basic fundamentals." -Jim Rohn

Comment

i been using CPAP for 3 yrs now got away from it when i dropped 50lbs of weight few yrs back, I put about 25lbs back on and i needed to use it again, mainly due to not breathing in my sleep and a increase in my Red Blood Cell count

Feel a world better using it. I set my own pressure, i use 13psi, i started back at 8psi but when getting Blood work done my RBC was high abnormal-since increasing back to 13psi RBC in normal range again
            If your not ripping a tendon your not working the muscle to its fullest capacity!

I just kinda feel if the weight wasn't so heavy, I could lift it:
            :bb::dancingna:bb::dancingna:bb::dancingna
            Living for the INSULIN SPIKE!

Comment

Working...
            X