X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imprezivr6
    replied
    Originally posted by p2geo View Post
    How much does 5 grams of BCAA (2:1 ratio) weigh?
    Originally posted by Sammich View Post
    PS: Not a dumb question at all. I didn't know myself, and my estimation I had been using was WAY off.
    Actually, as phrased it is kind of a silly question..lol How much does 5 grams of BCAA weigh? The same as 5g of urine, or pizza.
    Awesome, that chart is a great reference point. I knew something seemed a bit off when I was only getting about 1-2 g of scale weight per tsp. makes perfect sense now, thanks for the reference point Sammich.
    Are you using a flat tsp or a heaping or rounded tsp? Because I just did this test with 1tsp of random bcaa I have sitting around. It was 2g with a flat tsp which correlates to the link Sammich posted. A heaping tsp is 5g. The label of the product in question says "rounded tsp". So very possible that the label is accurate(or accurate enough for BCAA usage anyway)

Leave a comment:

• homonunculus
    replied
    Homonunculus ,

This is the product I'm referring to : http://www.tigerfitness.com/BCAA-Com...-p/2060168.htm

However I have seen others with the same label in the past. That also goes for other supplements as well such as L-glutamine , creatine mono etc.

When I realized I was using about 4 tsp to equal 5 grams of scale weight it raised my suspicion. Especially since I've heard or individuals dosing 20-30 grams of bcaa around workout which would end being something like a quarter cup more or less which seems excessive.
    That's all pretty funny given that their product is supposed be exactly 5050mg / serving.

OTOH, I'm not expert here, but that seems like a shady advertising (or perhaps a sloppy mistake), b/c it would give you the impression that you're getting 5g / teaspoon. Consider a vitamin powder where someone's trying to meet their RDI and the suggested serving size is off by >100%. Not good.

-S

Leave a comment:

• p2geo
    replied
    Homonunculus ,

This is the product I'm referring to : http://www.tigerfitness.com/BCAA-Com...-p/2060168.htm

However I have seen others with the same label in the past. That also goes for other supplements as well such as L-glutamine , creatine mono etc.

When I realized I was using about 4 tsp to equal 5 grams of scale weight it raised my suspicion. Especially since I've heard or individuals dosing 20-30 grams of bcaa around workout which would end being something like a quarter cup more or less which seems excessive.

Leave a comment:

• homonunculus
    replied

Is it a total of 5 grams of scale weight? I know it seems like a dumb question however 1 tsp should equal 5 grams of scale weight but it takes about 5 teaspoons of BCAA to equal 5 grams of scale weight. I understand liquid has a higher density then BCAA powder but the serving suggestion 1 tsp to equal a 5 gram serving of BCAA.

Thanks
    p2geo,

Where was this serving suggestion?...

-S

Leave a comment:

• p2geo
    replied
    Awesome, that chart is a great reference point. I knew something seemed a bit off when I was only getting about 1-2 g of scale weight per tsp. makes perfect sense now, thanks for the reference point Sammich.

Leave a comment:

• LG1
    replied
    That's why I stick to tablespoons

Leave a comment:

• Sammich
    replied

Is it a total of 5 grams of scale weight? I know it seems like a dumb question however 1 tsp should equal 5 grams of scale weight but it takes about 5 teaspoons of BCAA to equal 5 grams of scale weight. I understand liquid has a higher density then BCAA powder but the serving suggestion 1 tsp to equal a 5 gram serving of BCAA.

Thanks
    According to this site: (which I have no reason to disbelieve)
    http://www.bulknutrients.com.au/view...densitieschart

it shows one teaspoon of BCAAs should yield about 2g.
    If you want to do the math yourself using that chart, use the fact that 5 mL pretty close to one teaspoon.

-:sammich:

PS: Not a dumb question at all. I didn't know myself, and my estimation I had been using was WAY off.

Leave a comment:

• p2geo
    started a topic Dumb question regarding BCAA's

Dumb question regarding BCAA's

Thanks
Working...
X