Dumb question regarding BCAA's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb question regarding BCAA's

How much does 5 grams of BCAA (2:1 ratio) weigh?

Is it a total of 5 grams of scale weight? I know it seems like a dumb question however 1 tsp should equal 5 grams of scale weight but it takes about 5 teaspoons of BCAA to equal 5 grams of scale weight. I understand liquid has a higher density then BCAA powder but the serving suggestion 1 tsp to equal a 5 gram serving of BCAA.

Thanks
    How long can you go without believing in YOURSELF, before you are officially dead!

This isn't "Tea-Time Relaxy-Muscle", this is INTENSE Muscle. Bring something to the table or don't fucking show up. - Sammich

Originally posted by p2geo View Post

Is it a total of 5 grams of scale weight? I know it seems like a dumb question however 1 tsp should equal 5 grams of scale weight but it takes about 5 teaspoons of BCAA to equal 5 grams of scale weight. I understand liquid has a higher density then BCAA powder but the serving suggestion 1 tsp to equal a 5 gram serving of BCAA.

Thanks
    According to this site: (which I have no reason to disbelieve)
    http://www.bulknutrients.com.au/view...densitieschart

it shows one teaspoon of BCAAs should yield about 2g.
    If you want to do the math yourself using that chart, use the fact that 5 mL pretty close to one teaspoon.

-:sammich:

PS: Not a dumb question at all. I didn't know myself, and my estimation I had been using was WAY off.
    Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
    kind of a douche

Comment

That's why I stick to tablespoons
      SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

Awesome, that chart is a great reference point. I knew something seemed a bit off when I was only getting about 1-2 g of scale weight per tsp. makes perfect sense now, thanks for the reference point Sammich.
        How long can you go without believing in YOURSELF, before you are officially dead!

This isn't "Tea-Time Relaxy-Muscle", this is INTENSE Muscle. Bring something to the table or don't fucking show up. - Sammich

Comment

Thanks
          p2geo,

Where was this serving suggestion?...

-S
          The Book Has Arrived!
          The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
          2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
          2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

Homonunculus ,

This is the product I'm referring to : http://www.tigerfitness.com/BCAA-Com...-p/2060168.htm

However I have seen others with the same label in the past. That also goes for other supplements as well such as L-glutamine , creatine mono etc.

When I realized I was using about 4 tsp to equal 5 grams of scale weight it raised my suspicion. Especially since I've heard or individuals dosing 20-30 grams of bcaa around workout which would end being something like a quarter cup more or less which seems excessive.

Comment

Homonunculus ,

This is the product I'm referring to : http://www.tigerfitness.com/BCAA-Com...-p/2060168.htm

However I have seen others with the same label in the past. That also goes for other supplements as well such as L-glutamine , creatine mono etc.

When I realized I was using about 4 tsp to equal 5 grams of scale weight it raised my suspicion. Especially since I've heard or individuals dosing 20-30 grams of bcaa around workout which would end being something like a quarter cup more or less which seems excessive.
              That's all pretty funny given that their product is supposed be exactly 5050mg / serving.

OTOH, I'm not expert here, but that seems like a shady advertising (or perhaps a sloppy mistake), b/c it would give you the impression that you're getting 5g / teaspoon. Consider a vitamin powder where someone's trying to meet their RDI and the suggested serving size is off by >100%. Not good.

-S
              The Book Has Arrived!
              The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
              2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
              2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

Originally posted by Sammich View Post
                PS: Not a dumb question at all. I didn't know myself, and my estimation I had been using was WAY off.
                Actually, as phrased it is kind of a silly question..lol How much does 5 grams of BCAA weigh? The same as 5g of urine, or pizza.
                Awesome, that chart is a great reference point. I knew something seemed a bit off when I was only getting about 1-2 g of scale weight per tsp. makes perfect sense now, thanks for the reference point Sammich.
                Are you using a flat tsp or a heaping or rounded tsp? Because I just did this test with 1tsp of random bcaa I have sitting around. It was 2g with a flat tsp which correlates to the link Sammich posted. A heaping tsp is 5g. The label of the product in question says "rounded tsp". So very possible that the label is accurate(or accurate enough for BCAA usage anyway)

Comment

Working...
                X