Joint problem that I'm not experienced with

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joint problem that I'm not experienced with

So recently I've been getting this knee problem in my right knee. Certain heavy knee movements such as front squats seem to irritate it. I've been taking different joint support supplements. The current one I'm on has glucosamine, msm, and chondroitin. I've always had minor aches in my right knee because it's naturally hyper extended. But I've never experienced this before. It seems to get a little swollen at time. And I feel shooting pains down to my ankle. Sometimes if I'm sitting in the car my foot will fall asleep as well. I stand all day at my job and that seems to irritate it a lot as well. When I'm off it starts to get better on the second day but then it gets right back to it. I bought a brace and wear it at night. Doesn't seem to help much. I'm 28, 180 lbs and been doing DC for about a year now if that helps. If anyone had any idea of causes and treatment let me know. Because joint damage I'm experienced with but this seems to be more of an inflammation thing.

May I ask, is the pain going down the lateral (outer) portion of your leg to your ankle? It sounds to me that the "shooting" portion is screaming a neurological issue, that could be stemming from inflammation. A common injury is a compression of the common peroneal nerve, which wraps around the head of the fibula (which could be the source) and travels down the lateral aspect of your leg.

Comment

Yes the outer portion. I didn't think to mention that.
      It starts at the right side of my knee cap and shoots down as well as the back if the knee on the right side and down

Comment

Sounds like common peroneal nerve compression to me. Your common peroneal nerve is a break off of the tibial nerve, which is a break off of the sciatic nerve complex (which is not the origin of your pain by any means), it wraps around the fibular head and innervates peroneus longus, peroneus brevis, and the short head of biceps femoris (hamstring muscle). This means it is responsible for everting your foot (turning the bottom of your foot lateral, or to the outside) and slightly responsible for flexion of the knee, but not much. This nerve also has many sensory distributions from your knee down. These areas could be numb or reduced in sensation if it is heavily compressed. This may not be your only issue, as something is causing compression. I would go see a PT.

Comment

Shit I didn't want to hear that. I don't have insurance. I was hoping you would tell me to take some cissus or something lol

Comment

I have had success in the past with cissus for sore joints.
            SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

Yeah that's on my list. Because grocery store joint formula isn't doing jack

Comment

I know nobody wants to hear this. But if you have been blasting hard. Perhaps it's time for a two week cruise or just don't train legs for a couple of weeks.
                SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

Yeah. Well I'm only on week 5 of the blast. Personally I think the big issue is that I'm on my feet all day. I may have to forgo at least squats or something for a bit. Or try light work. Change up the exercises for a bit.

Comment

Just an update. It still hurts. I've cut out all leg related exercise. And this Monday will he the beginning of cruise week anyway. So I got a few weeks to take a break. I'm going to be seeing a doctor soon. But out of curiosity what are some suggestions for quad related exercises that are easier on the knees? Just FYI taking MSN glucosamine and fish oil even in high dosages didn't seem to affect it one way or the other. Pain killers like alleve and ib seems to work for a few hours. Knee brace don't seem to help even if it's completely immobile as soon as I put weight on it it hurts but it comes and goes one minute it's fine the next it hurts like hell. Warming it up helps. The biggest factor seems to be my job. I do security so I'm on my feet a lot. I had to work black Friday and I was on my feet 7 hours straight no breaks and they really tore me up. The next too days I could barely walk. But I've been spending the last few days sitting at my job. And not standing and it feels a whole lot better. I keep icy hot on it and wear a brace at night though like I said the brace doesn't seem to help much. And I ice it when I get off work. I took a rx painkiller and that didn't seem to work any better than Ibproefin(spelling?) it seems to mostly hurt actually inside the knee joint. Not the cap. Not the muscle but actually in between the bones. And sometimes causes those shooting pains to my ankle. So any advice so far?

Comment

Ps. Knee problems are hereditary for me. So this isn't that surprising. I also have lymes disease so that will accelerate any arthritis conditions. I also have fairly low T which from what I've read can also be a factor. These are things I'll bring up with my doctor. Also the knee that is hurting is hyper extended from birth if that helps.

Comment

Try a foam roller, go back and forth along the inside and outside of your whole leg. I had a similar sounding issue a few years ago and it was because of tight IT band pulling on the knee cap causing a misalignment.
                        -KidRok-
                        "...because I won't accept that I can't."

www.https://Truenutrition.com/
                        5% OFF with Discount Code "FXL222"

https://www.facebook.com/hopsfitnessxl

Comment

That's actually is similar to other things I'm reading. Don't they make a wrap or knee brace for that? I saw something called a jumpers knee brace from Mueller?

Comment

have you tried cissus yet? last time i had joint issues cissus helped. whenever i start doing really heavy weights, i start doing cissus just in case

Comment

Originally posted by Wagz86 View Post
                              That's actually is similar to other things I'm reading. Don't they make a wrap or knee brace for that? I saw something called a jumpers knee brace from Mueller?
                              I don't know, never been big on using braces or wraps in that manner. My theory is if I have an injury and need to provide extra support for 1 joint then I should do it for both so that I have balance. Otherwise I fear that the "good" side is put at a greater risk. So because of that I typically use wraps or sleeves as a preventative and do not do anything different to support an injury.
                              -KidRok-
                              "...because I won't accept that I can't."

www.https://Truenutrition.com/
                              5% OFF with Discount Code "FXL222"

https://www.facebook.com/hopsfitnessxl

Comment

Working...
                              X