Lets talk about skin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lets talk about skin

In the last 4-5 years I've struggled with all kinds of acne caused by many things. I've tried a lot of things to reduce or eliminate it but only a few things have worked and I thought I would share in the hopes maybe it will help someone else. I never had a single breakout until my 20s. It can be very frustrating to go into work with a massive red cystic bump on your temple or forehead.

A few things I know don't work, at least for myself:

Salicylic acid- all I ever noticed with this was my skin getting pissed off and dry. Any existing breakouts would dry out for the moment but would come back days later with 2-3 more bumps in the same area.

Adapalene
    This is a prescription cream that is suppose to open up the pores and "let everything out", from what my doctor says. I'm sure it's much more complicated than that but it did nothing for me.

Benzoyl peroxide- both 2% and 10% are too damn harsh on my face and take way to long for the antibiotic properties to work before your skin is left wrecked from overuse of a harsh chemical. However, in recent weeks it has worked well on my back. I'll get into that in a moment.

Things that have worked for me:

When I had really bad cystic acne a few years back it was so painful that I had to find ways to put a t-shirt on without touching my face for fear of rubbing one of the inflamed red bumps. My doctor decided to swab the inside of my nose and found that I had a staph infection in my nose. A drug called mupirocin was prescribed. 2 days of running this shit in my nose 3 times a day and the cystic acne had completely disappeared for good. At least for a year or 2 and I got cystic breakouts for an entirely different reason.

Vitamin B5
    This was a recommendation from skip and it has worked wonders in the last 4 weeks. Basically it reduced oil production which will in turn reduce acne or at least the severity of breakouts. You can take a whole lot of it too without overdose. From what I read there actually is no determined overdose amount. People go to 10g a day comfortably. Maybe some gas. I use 2g 4x daily. Takes some time to work but I swear by it. L-carnitine is suppose to increase the benefits but I haven't tried that yet.

10% benzoyl peroxide
    Just for my back, not my face. Been using it constantly for 2 weeks now with the use of the B5 and the results are pretty incredible. Hardly anything at all anymore. Used to be so bad I couldnt take my shirt off around anyone ever! I exfoliate 3 times a week with this and I'm very pleased with it. BP has never worked in the past until I used it with the B5.

Now I do have rosacea related breakouts currently that I am taking a few creams for and today my derm has prescribed a drug called oracea. It's a doxycycline drug in a low dose that apparently won't kill any of the good bacteria in my stomach. It says there's 30mg instant release and 10mg extended release that I just take first thing in the morning before a meal. This apparently is just for rosacea but he said it will help with my back a lot.

I've tried every other ridiculous thing you can think of with no help. These are just a few thing that helped me. I'd love to hear other people's experiences with skin related issues. Not just acne necessarily.

True Nutrition Discount: SRC745
    *2006 USAPL Washington State Powerlifting Championships- 1st, 14-16 age-148lb class -2nd Men's Open 148lb class
    •2x WABDL Worlds Runner Up - Teens 16-17 165lb
    *Former WABDL Teen 16-17 165lb World Record Bench Holder (Washington state record) of 396.6lbs

I have super curly hair and sensitive skin, because I am a beautiful, delicate butterfly. Therefore I get neck rash, ingrown hairs, and little pimples from shaving very easily. Things I know that help:

-10% benzoyl peroxide, like you said. I put it on after shaving and before bed. Does wonders.

-Hydrocortisone cream. Can help with redness and irritation, but can cause issues with long-term use.

-Tend Skin. It's a proprietary blend of ingredients you apply after shaving to help with irritation, ingrown hairs, and pimples. Expensive, but I hear it's very much worth it for post-shave skin care (and not just on the face :o )
    Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
    kind of a douche

Comment

Do you put the 10% BP on your face? I have sensitive skin and I feel like that strong of BP would wreak havoc on my face. The 2% does.

Where can I find this Tend skin? I get ingrown hairs from shaving a lot too and need something for this.

*2006 USAPL Washington State Powerlifting Championships- 1st, 14-16 age-148lb class -2nd Men's Open 148lb class
      *Former WABDL Teen 16-17 165lb World Record Bench Holder (Washington state record) of 396.6lbs

Comment

Lets talk about skin

I like to use witch hazel coming out of the shower after having buzzed previously. Reduces skin irritation, little red pimples and ingrown hairs for me. Especially on the chest area.
        SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

Clindamyacin 1% (prescription) comes in liquid form. It's an antibiotic that stops the bacteria that causes acne from multiplying.

Tazorac (prescription) comes in .05% and .1% cream and gel and it's amazing for treating acne. It's like Accutane in that it's a retinoid. It takes a while to get your skin used to it and you might go through a period of dry and flaky skin. Using a moisturizer before you put the Tazorac on can prevent this.

Tazorac is not always covered by insurance, but if you are under 35 you can usually make a case.

If you are ancient like me, it might not be covered. My dermatologist prescribed it to me to use off-label because of the retinoid properties: wrinkle prevention.
          Kristine
          Last edited by Kristine; 11-06-2014, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Collabera, thank you for starting this thread... Ever since I got my hormones corrected, I developed acne, almost like hitting puberty in your mid 20s...but have not sought professional help from a doctor as I've tried to treat it on my own.

It seems that the BP creams and washes help, but I've had to throw out many shirts, blankets and sheets because it rubbed off on them and essentially bleached them.

I will likely be seeing a dermatologist soon but want to get enough information on drugs so I can approach the appointment well educated. I know accutane is often prescribed, and although I have heard it works great for acne, it can cause many side effects. Has anyone used accuntane? What was your experience?
            Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
            2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
            2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
              Collabera, thank you for starting this thread... Ever since I got my hormones corrected, I developed acne, almost like hitting puberty in your mid 20s...but have not sought professional help from a doctor as I've tried to treat it on my own.

It seems that the BP creams and washes help, but I've had to throw out many shirts, blankets and sheets because it rubbed off on them and essentially bleached them.

I will likely be seeing a dermatologist soon but want to get enough information on drugs so I can approach the appointment well educated. I know accutane is often prescribed, and although I have heard it works great for acne, it can cause many side effects. Has anyone used accuntane? What was your experience?

Yes, I have used accutane and while I recognize that it has helped people a lot with severe acne, I don't recommended it unless it's really bad.

I took one dose of the stuff and within one hour something felt wrong. My vision was distorted and blurry almost like being on Percocet or something. I got weak and stupid. I stopped taking it and some of that has never gone away. I get migraines and my vision is constantly distorted like I'm intoxicated. I've had 2 lumbar punctures, 2 mri's, 2 ct scans and been seeing a neurologist about it for 9 months without it going away at all. Nobody has a clue what's wrong with me. Honestly, I'm in hell right now because of that stuff. Nothing I do brings me relief. I can't have half a beer these days without feeling super fucked up. I have a hard time concentrating.

Comment

Originally posted by Kristine View Post
                Clindamyacin 1% (prescription) comes in liquid form. It's an antibiotic that stops the bacteria that causes acne from multiplying.

Tazorac (prescription) comes in .05% and .1% cream and gel and it's amazing for treating acne. It's like Accutane in that it's a retinoid. It takes a while to get your skin used to it and you might go through a period of dry and flaky skin. Using a moisturizer before you put the Tazorac on can prevent this.

Tazorac is not always covered by insurance, but if you are under 35 you can usually make a case.

If you are ancient like me, it might not be covered. My dermatologist prescribed it to me to use off-label because of the retinoid properties: wrinkle prevention.

I've used the Clindamyacin before. Seemed to work for a while on the smaller breakouts I was having but not the cystic ones. Probably because I had staph My nose though. Derm almost put me back on it yesterday but going with Oracea instead.

Comment

Originally posted by LG1 View Post
                  I like to use witch hazel coming out of the shower after having buzzed previously. Reduces skin irritation, little red pimples and ingrown hairs for me. Especially on the chest area.
                  I'll try this. Honestly I think the only breakouts I have on my chest are from ingrown hairs. Getting it today. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by mentalflex View Post

I used accutane for about 6 months back when I was about 19 or 20. It definitely works, but is also a harsh drug. It's been linked to inflammatory bowel disease and can have the potential to also wreak havoc on blood lipids and liver enzymes. However, I never experienced any issues with any of that. The only major side effect I experienced was EXTREMELY dry lips - constantly cracking, peeling, etc.

2017 NPC National Championships Classic Physique, Class D - 4th Place
                    2017 NPC New England Championships Classic Physique, Class C - 1st Place
                    2017 NPC East Coast Cup Classic Physique, Tall Class - 1st Place & Overall
                    2015 Arnold Amateur Men's Classic Bodybuilding, Tall Class - 4th Place
                    2013 NPC Europa Battle of Champions - 1st Place Novice Heavyweight, 2nd Place Open Light-Heavyweight

Comment

Originally posted by Collabera View Post
                      Yes, I have used accutane and while I recognize that it has helped people a lot with severe acne, I don't recommended it unless it's really bad.

I took one dose of the stuff and within one hour something felt wrong. My vision was distorted and blurry almost like being on Percocet or something. I got weak and stupid. I stopped taking it and some of that has never gone away. I get migraines and my vision is constantly distorted like I'm intoxicated. I've had 2 lumbar punctures, 2 mri's, 2 ct scans and been seeing a neurologist about it for 9 months without it going away at all. Nobody has a clue what's wrong with me. Honestly, I'm in hell right now because of that stuff. Nothing I do brings me relief. I can't have half a beer these days without feeling super fucked up. I have a hard time concentrating.
                      Oh, that's awesome.. sounds like a really great drug :ohwell: I'd still like to see a dermatologist about other options, but damn dude, I am sorry for you... side effects like that are definitely not worth it

Thank you for the advice
                      Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
                      2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
                      2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Do you put the 10% BP on your face? I have sensitive skin and I feel like that strong of BP would wreak havoc on my face. The 2% does.

Where can I find this Tend skin? I get ingrown hairs from shaving a lot too and need something for this.
                        I put it on my neck where the shaving irritation occurs. It makes it red for a few minutes, but the skin gets used to it.

The Tend Skin is here:
                        http://www.amazon.com/Tend-Skin-Solu.../dp/B001ECQ7G4
                        but you can also find it in stores.
                        Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
                        kind of a douche

Comment

Of course! After you try literally everything in the book with no relief, then try the accutane but Just be aware that you are gambling when taking it. Nobody knows if they will have sides. I've taken a lot of different prescriptions in my life without ever having a side effect until the accutane. Now I have intense anxiety anytime I have to take a drug for fear of having sides.

I highly recommend to vitamin B5. It takes a while to start working(3-4 weeks for me) but it's so worth it. They sell it in pretty large bottles too. I got about 6 weeks worth for 20 bucks. Before I tried it I thought it couldn't possibly work. I mean, why do we have all these harsh prescription meds for acne if a simple vitamin didn't work at all? Well because vitamins are cheap and don't make drug companies money I guess but that's another topic.

The B5 has dramaticay reduced my oily skin and in turn reduced the amount of bumps I have. Especially on my back. And the ones I do get, are practically nothing and will likely be cleared up by the oracea.
                          Collabera
                          Heavyweight Member
                          Last edited by Collabera; 11-06-2014, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sammich View Post
                            I put it on my neck where the shaving irritation occurs. It makes it red for a few minutes, but the skin gets used to it.

The Tend Skin is here:
                            http://www.amazon.com/Tend-Skin-Solu.../dp/B001ECQ7G4
                            but you can also find it in stores.
                            Nice! I'll order some tonight. Thanks!

Comment

I'll try this. Honestly I think the only breakouts I have on my chest are from ingrown hairs. Getting it today. Thanks!

It's dirt cheap and it works well. You cAnt go wrong trying it .
                              SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

Working...
                              X