Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hospital visit and what may have contributed to it

**DISCLAIMER**
    Let me start of by saying that in NO WAY am I pointing any fingers in what I am about to say. This is merely the facts as I know them now, and my attempts to get clarification on a health issue from people who have spent more time unloading plates, than the doctor I saw has out of med school.

On Tuesday afternoon I noticed that the right side of my abomin was pushing out a bit more than normal. I assumed it was the hernia I have had since 2011 pushing back out, so I pressed on it and went on about my day. A few hours later I noticed that the pain level was more intense and no pushing into my lower ribs and into my hip area. I then decided (in accordance with prior guidance from my primary care doctor's office that 'if the pain becomes worse, moves or you see a change in urine or bowl movements go to the ER) it was time for a trip to the ER department at my local VA.

Shortly after check in they had me go for an abdominal CT scan, then to provide a urine specimine. Upon pinching the flow off (so as to not go on the cup) I finished up, and then noticed the pain was much more intense and I was now bleeding from the tip. After that the nurse shortly came in a gave me some injection of liquid ibuprofin and some other thing that was supposed to 'widen the pipes' as she put it. Soon after, I was released to go home, and given a script for hydrocodone. The only thing they could figure is I had a stone and passed it as the onlything worth noting that they saw was some calcium build up on my right kidney.

I am trying to figure out what may have caused this? I have only been back to the gym (minus the next two weeks at the doc's advice) for maybe five weeks at most (three being consistant), and have only re-started taking protein (TN team skip regular chocolate) in the past month. Shakes only after work outs. Additionally I have been using the MG Super Test Boostand a multi vitamin for at least the last 3 years very regularly (maybe missed a dose here and there). 4 or 5 Years ago I was taking another protein a long with a creatine and fat burner in regular decent sized doses, and never had an issue.

My diet has not been the cleanest (this is shocking me into fixing that), I am a smoker (cutting down and trying to quit by 25 Dec), and my water intake has often been par at best. Stress has been through the roof lately, and on Sunday I was sweating like a whore in church as I was reffing 5 wrestling matches in a row with little breaks here in there in a 85* little to no AC building.

Sorry for being so long, but I have no solid clue as to what may have caused this aside from shitty genetics (stones do run on both sides of my family) and a lack of water. Any advice, tips, or suggestions are more than welcome. If you need more info to help, please do not hesitate to ask, and I will give as much information as possible.

Thanks in advance,

J
    "No man ever won a war by dieing for his county. He did it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his."

George Patton

Get your Protein where the real men get theirs, TrueProtein.com

5% off with Dicount code JNR490, and 10% off orders over 10 lbs!!!

I honestly have no input simply because I don't have knowledge in this area. I wouldn't even want to guess.

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
    Instagram: @intensemuscle
    YouTube: TEAMSKIP
    TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

If it brings you any comfort, I had a co worker experience the same thing. It was kidney stones and as they passed, he would piss blood. Really no big deal, just very painful. He had them all the time.

He was a fat ass, but I don't know that, that had anything to do with with why someone would or wouldn't have them. They also loaded him up on Vicodin. Some people are just more prone to having them, than others...Dietary changes I would imagine can help.
      Heckman aka "WISE" OLD MAN

Comment

My mother had them... Painful but no real reason given for why she got them....
        "This is your life. It is the only one you get. So no excuses, and no do-overs. If you make a mistake or fail at something you learn from it, you get over it and you move on. Your job is to be the very best person you can be and to never settle for anything less."
        ~ Ann Richards, former TX governor

Comment

Originally posted by Godsmack View Post
          **DISCLAIMER**
          Let me start of by saying that in NO WAY am I pointing any fingers in what I am about to say. This is merely the facts as I know them now, and my attempts to get clarification on a health issue from people who have spent more time unloading plates, than the doctor I saw has out of med school.

On Tuesday afternoon I noticed that the right side of my abomin was pushing out a bit more than normal. I assumed it was the hernia I have had since 2011 pushing back out, so I pressed on it and went on about my day. A few hours later I noticed that the pain level was more intense and no pushing into my lower ribs and into my hip area. I then decided (in accordance with prior guidance from my primary care doctor's office that 'if the pain becomes worse, moves or you see a change in urine or bowl movements go to the ER) it was time for a trip to the ER department at my local VA.

Shortly after check in they had me go for an abdominal CT scan, then to provide a urine specimine. Upon pinching the flow off (so as to not go on the cup) I finished up, and then noticed the pain was much more intense and I was now bleeding from the tip. After that the nurse shortly came in a gave me some injection of liquid ibuprofin and some other thing that was supposed to 'widen the pipes' as she put it. Soon after, I was released to go home, and given a script for hydrocodone. The only thing they could figure is I had a stone and passed it as the onlything worth noting that they saw was some calcium build up on my right kidney.

I am trying to figure out what may have caused this? I have only been back to the gym (minus the next two weeks at the doc's advice) for maybe five weeks at most (three being consistant), and have only re-started taking protein (TN team skip regular chocolate) in the past month. Shakes only after work outs. Additionally I have been using the MG Super Test Boostand a multi vitamin for at least the last 3 years very regularly (maybe missed a dose here and there). 4 or 5 Years ago I was taking another protein a long with a creatine and fat burner in regular decent sized doses, and never had an issue.

My diet has not been the cleanest (this is shocking me into fixing that), I am a smoker (cutting down and trying to quit by 25 Dec), and my water intake has often been par at best. Stress has been through the roof lately, and on Sunday I was sweating like a whore in church as I was reffing 5 wrestling matches in a row with little breaks here in there in a 85* little to no AC building.

Sorry for being so long, but I have no solid clue as to what may have caused this aside from shitty genetics (stones do run on both sides of my family) and a lack of water. Any advice, tips, or suggestions are more than welcome. If you need more info to help, please do not hesitate to ask, and I will give as much information as possible.

Thanks in advance,

J
          GS,

You seem to be discounting the theory of the medical professionals. Why do think its likely something other than what they suspect?...

-S
          The Book Has Arrived!
          The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
          2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
          2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

It's almost certainly PGAD.
            Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
            kind of a douche

Comment

It's not that i am against their findings, it's that there was no visable stone produced in the specimin cup, and quite honestly itseems that often the docs at the VA misdiagnose things more often than they get it right.

I was attempting to see if there could be a suspected cause and what I need to do to prevent them from reoccuring. I never want to go thru this again, and if I have to, I want to make it as easy as possible.

J
              "No man ever won a war by dieing for his county. He did it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his."

George Patton

Comment

Well shit.

J

George Patton

Comment

Originally posted by Godsmack View Post
                  It's not that i am against their findings, it's that there was no visable stone produced in the specimin cup, and quite honestly itseems that often the docs at the VA misdiagnose things more often than they get it right.

I was attempting to see if there could be a suspected cause and what I need to do to prevent them from reoccuring. I never want to go thru this again, and if I have to, I want to make it as easy as possible.

J
                  Well, aside from the absences of stone per se (there could have been unnoticed calcium deposits that irritated the urethra), you've laid out:

Renal calcification
                  Strong Family Hx of kidney stones
                  Recent acute causes of dehydration
                  Pain in the "kidney area"
                  Smoking: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3614330/
                  In addition to Poor diet, high stress

It's tough when you've been doing the same thing (training, diet, etc.) for years to end up with a related pathology, but that's the nature of disease in many cases. It take years for a given condition to manifest...

-S
                  The Book Has Arrived!
                  The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
                  2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
                  2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

Sounds like I really need a lifestyle change. Fix the foods, get the stress killed off, get back to a healthier lifestyle, drink more water, and kick the smoking.

Honestly, the smoking is going to be the hardest for me to do.

J

George Patton

Comment

Working...
                    X