Stuck In A Rut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck In A Rut

For the last several months I have lost all motivation in regards to nutrition. I used to be so good, so disciplined, and great will power. Now I find myself giving in to almost every craving. It is driving me up the wall. I eat shit then get pissed at myself afterwards. Wtf! Just can't seem to break it. Has anyone else had this happen and what did you do to get your ass back in line?
    Save yourself 5% on all your TRUENUTRITION orders by using discount code MTM281

My Training Log Here at IM

"Success is neither magical nor mysterious. Success is the natural consequence of consistently applying the basic fundamentals." -Jim Rohn

What's your diet like and how long has it been going on prior to the cravings? Are you dieting for an upcoming show? What are you eating and how often are you eating "shit" ?

You're still *good* and that won't change simply because you enjoyed something delicious.
    nexa
    Intense Muscle Competitor
    Last edited by nexa; 10-26-2014, 11:25 PM.
    #docswholift
    PGY-1 FM
    "No idea is above scrutiny and no people are beneath dignity." -Maajid Nawaz

Comment

Was your diet too strict, bland or redundant for too long? Being very strict (contest dieting) has always set me up for a period of obsessively craving junk that I don't crave when my diet isn't so extreme and inflexible. Part of this is psychological and part is physiological...we ultimately are craving a balance. Post contest I struggle with binges on junk. Not beating myself up about it definitely helps. Allowing reasonable treats can then be resumed and there's no drive to over do it. Also eating "clean" but with more variety and creativity can make a huge difference. It is OK to enjoy food, and there are ways to do this while still reaching goals (unless of course the goal is extreme, in which case it would be temporary).

To play off of what nexa posted, separating a sense of self-worth from how you eat could help to take some momentum off the cycle. Cut yourself some slack. Eating well should make you feel healthier (more energy, clearer mind) than eating crap. It certainly does for me. That is the bottom line that keeps me in check.
      2014 Greater Gulf States 2nd WPD Class B
      2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW
      2009 Houston Pro/Am 1st LHW & Overall (Am)
      2008 Jr. Nationals 5th LHW
      2007 Greater Gulf States 1st LHW
      2007 LA Championships 1st LHW & Overall

Comment

Originally posted by nexa View Post
        What's your diet like and how long has it been going on prior to the cravings? Are you dieting for an upcoming show? What are you eating and how often are you eating "shit" ?

You're still *good* and that won't change simply because you enjoyed something delicious.
        My diet has been fairly static for quite some time. No contest dieting at all. I am (was) able to eat the same thing everyday for over 2 years. it was pretty straight forward. Egg whites and whole eggs in EVCO, avocado, nut butters, real butter, oats, brown/white rice, sweet/russet potatoes, veggies, fermented sauerkraut, ground turkey breast, chicken breast, ground beef, steak, fish, Pro powder, karboload, pop-tarts, etc. The normal stuff.

A few months ago I just started to lose the motivation to cook Sunday night for the next few days. Then I would have to run by the grocery store and by pre-packed stuff so I would have something to eat. The biggest issue is once I get home each night and at home on the weekends. My wife is in real estate and is very busy so we eat out alot lately. While I still try to make good choices on the menu, we typically get dessert. At home on the weekend it is cereal, other sweets, god forbid Blue Bell ice cream goes on sale. Yesterday I was bordering on depression after eating several times when I wasn't the least bit hungry. That is the part that pisses me off. That used to be the easiest thing for me to avoid. I haven't gained too much weight from it, maybe 8lbs but I feel awful after almost every time. Like hypoglycemic awful. My blood sugar is fine btw. I know it is just a mental toughness thing but damn, getting back to it has not been easy.

"Success is neither magical nor mysterious. Success is the natural consequence of consistently applying the basic fundamentals." -Jim Rohn

Comment

Not that strict at all. I enjoyed the foods I ate for the most part. Never really had sugar cravings too bad. I really enjoy food, sweets. The eating well past the point of hunger is a big part of the problem. On aside, the doc has been playing with my hormone levels. For years test was low(under 300) until a few months ago after starting meds. Test up over 700 now, but estraidol was also elevated. Started e-bocker 3 months ago and that brought it down into range. I wouldn't think that this would be the cause, conversely I would think it should help the issue. Who knows.

Originally posted by phoenix13 View Post
          Was your diet too strict, bland or redundant for too long? Being very strict (contest dieting) has always set me up for a period of obsessively craving junk that I don't crave when my diet isn't so extreme and inflexible. Part of this is psychological and part is physiological...we ultimately are craving a balance. Post contest I struggle with binges on junk. Not beating myself up about it definitely helps. Allowing reasonable treats can then be resumed and there's no drive to over do it. Also eating "clean" but with more variety and creativity can make a huge difference. It is OK to enjoy food, and there are ways to do this while still reaching goals (unless of course the goal is extreme, in which case it would be temporary).

To play off of what nexa posted, separating a sense of self-worth from how you eat could help to take some momentum off the cycle. Cut yourself some slack. Eating well should make you feel healthier (more energy, clearer mind) than eating crap. It certainly does for me. That is the bottom line that keeps me in check.

Comment

Something that helped me is to hire someone to TELL me what to eat. That was I don't have to think at all, I just execute.
            Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
            kind of a douche

Comment

Originally posted by Sammich View Post
              Something that helped me is to hire someone to TELL me what to eat. That was I don't have to think at all, I just execute.
              I have been seriously thinking about that very thing with either Skip or JM.

Comment

I find that refined/processed foods (particularly carbs) create intense dose-dependent cravings and must be quit cold turkey...until the body stabilizes enough to reintroduce in moderation. Whether it's the effect on insulin response and sensitivity or whatever, there needs to be a temporary cleaning out period to get over the cravings and feeling of lack of control.

Can you get back in the habit of cooking on Sundays? Reduce eating out?
                2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW

Comment

Originally posted by mateus View Post
                  I have been seriously thinking about that very thing with either Skip or JM.

DOIT :peace:
                  It'll straighten ya up 100%
                  :preach:

Comment

Definitely echo some of the comments to hire a coach. I had a habit of dieting then deciding to enjoy non diet foods. This always ended up to an all out cheat fest which would steamroll into weeks. Next thing I knew I'm back to square one. Once I hired a coach, it finally gave me some structure which I realised is what I truly needed. This way I can relinguish control to them rather than second guessing everything I did. I couldn't be objective.

Now I can, and I attribute that to what I learnt from having a coach. I recently used Skip for a prep and can't recommend him enough. Despite him having to deal with my issues! If you can, Skip is the man!

Comment

When's the last time you had a goal that excited/motivated you? Start up a journal to keep you accountable.
                      2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW

Comment

Originally posted by phoenix13 View Post
                        When's the last time you had a goal that excited/motivated you? Start up a journal to keep you accountable.
                        I would love to do a physique show. That would be exciting. Anyway, I have taken your advice and started the journal back up.

Comment

Originally posted by mateus View Post
                          I would love to do a physique show. That would be exciting. Anyway, I have taken your advice and started the journal back up.
                          That's great!
                          2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW

Comment

What about a change in routine? Maybe instead of Sunday cooking, try Frieday night? Get the weekend cooking (or at least prep) done, and the next weeks worth as well?

Best of luck!!!

J
                            "No man ever won a war by dieing for his county. He did it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his."

George Patton

Get your Protein where the real men get theirs, TrueProtein.com

5% off with Dicount code JNR490, and 10% off orders over 10 lbs!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X