Training and Nausea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training and Nausea

I couldn't find anything on here about this, so I figured I'd start a new thread and ask.

Training legs...

I've always thought that nausea is a requirement for a good legs workout.
    As long as you don't vomit...Well, today, it happened right after training quads.

Squats, leg press and then Bulgarian split-squats.
    I was already feeling nauseated in the middle of the leg presses.
    Nearly quit on the split squats...made it to the stretch and then lost it once I stood up to walk over to the water machine for a refill.

1 hour prior to the gym, my pre-workout / breakfast was simple...pro/fat 5 egg whites, two whole eggs over-easy in EVOO and a cuppa Joe with heavy cream.
    Supps taken were Niacin - 1000mg, acetyl-L carnitine, co-Q10, calcium, Carlson's fish oil - one cap.

I don't experience this on any other session...only when training quads and not always to this extreme.

My basic questions:

1) Does anybody else experience this?

2) Can it be mitigated? ...and if so, how?
    Unless a man undertakes more than he can possibly do, he will never do all he can.

Unfathomable progress is the result of consistent, daily steps toward a single goal

I've been able to make myself nauseated on most bodyparts when the intensity is really there. I find that having the stomach as empty as possible helps, including not drinking water or intraWO immediately before starting a set (i.e., finish an exercise altogether and immediately SIP, not chug, before taking the time to set up/warm up on another exercise). I also try to have at least 2 hrs between a whole food meal and the workout. Preferable is to have the preworkout meal be a shake (can add fats).
    2014 Greater Gulf States 2nd WPD Class B
    2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW
    2009 Houston Pro/Am 1st LHW & Overall (Am)
    2008 Jr. Nationals 5th LHW
    2007 Greater Gulf States 1st LHW
    2007 LA Championships 1st LHW & Overall

Comment

I'd reduce the fat intake in that pre-workout meal a/o take a digestive enzyme containing lipase along with the meal.

(You could start just by taking the heavy cream out on leg days)...

-S
      The Book Has Arrived!
      The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
      2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
      2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

Originally posted by phoenix13 View Post
        I've been able to make myself nauseated on most bodyparts when the intensity is really there. I find that having the stomach as empty as possible helps, including not drinking water or intraWO immediately before starting a set (i.e., finish an exercise altogether and immediately SIP, not chug, before taking the time to set up/warm up on another exercise). I also try to have at least 2 hrs between a whole food meal and the workout. Preferable is to have the preworkout meal be a shake (can add fats).
        oh, I forgot to mention I take 5g creatine mono and 10g BCAA 30 minutes prior...not sure if that makes a dif. but the creatine sure makes me CRAZY THIRSTY (like serious cotton mouth) during training sessions.This makes it hard for me to only SIP and not CHUG the water. I usually sip between sets and chug between exercises...finishing about 1.5 liters per hour. Is it best to only use the creatine post only rather than pre AND post?

Normally, I do wait about 2 hours from a solid meal unless I train in the AM (after breakfast / before lunch) since I only get in one meal beforehand on those days
        Phoenix, would you suggest maybe going with just the shake for breakfast on AM training days - add some EVOO or flax oil?

I mean, what I'm thinking is this:

Wake up, have the protein shake with fats added and other supps/vitamins...
        then 30 minutes prior to lifting take in the niacin, creatine and BCAA. Sound solid? (and maybe a Snickers - my weakness...)

Originally posted by homonunculus View Post
        I'd reduce the fat intake in that pre-workout meal a/o take a digestive enzyme containing lipase along with the meal.

(You could start just by taking the heavy cream out on leg days)...

-S
        As for the fat, I don't know anything about digestive enzymes or lipase but it sounds good! (is there a particular product you recommend, Homon?)
        I also have access to Chinese herbs - living in China - so any of those that might help?? (I'd need to know the Chinese name of it in order to find it)

Eliminating the heavy cream is definitely doable. I'll just switch to green tea on leg days rather than coffee...:tea:
        Unless a man undertakes more than he can possibly do, he will never do all he can.

Unfathomable progress is the result of consistent, daily steps toward a single goal

Comment

I have to have at least 2 hours between food and training. Just about anything makes my stomach churn. The combo of things you take would definitely bother me. I got on an rx for gerd a few years ago which also helps. That and knowing which foods are my triggers.
          "This is your life. It is the only one you get. So no excuses, and no do-overs. If you make a mistake or fail at something you learn from it, you get over it and you move on. Your job is to be the very best person you can be and to never settle for anything less."
          ~ Ann Richards, former TX governor

Comment

Originally posted by gsop_3 View Post
            oh, I forgot to mention I take 5g creatine mono and 10g BCAA 30 minutes prior...not sure if that makes a dif. but the creatine sure makes me CRAZY THIRSTY (like serious cotton mouth) during training sessions.This makes it hard for me to only SIP and not CHUG the water. I usually sip between sets and chug between exercises...finishing about 1.5 liters per hour. Is it best to only use the creatine post only rather than pre AND post?
            I'd just include that in your intra and start drinking it 15 min pre.

You can just include the creatine post if you think it's causing an issue. You'll end up not gaining probably 15- 20lb muscle that you other wise would, but otherwise, not an issue. (JUST KIDDING!)
            Normally, I do wait about 2 hours from a solid meal unless I train in the AM (after breakfast / before lunch) since I only get in one meal beforehand on those days
            Phoenix, would you suggest maybe going with just the shake for breakfast on AM training days - add some EVOO or flax oil?

I mean, what I'm thinking is this:

Wake up, have the protein shake with fats added and other supps/vitamins...
            then 30 minutes prior to lifting take in the niacin, creatine and BCAA. Sound solid? (and maybe a Snickers - my weakness...)
            A Snickers post-workout wouldn't be so bad... (IT's got another 12g of fat - not gonna help with that nausea....)

As for the fat, I don't know anything about digestive enzymes or lipase but it sounds good! (is there a particular product you recommend, Homon?)
            I also have access to Chinese herbs - living in China - so any of those that might help?? (I'd need to know the Chinese name of it in order to find it)

Eliminating the heavy cream is definitely doable. I'll just switch to green tea on leg days rather than coffee...:tea:
            Cu Ling pills, aka Curing pills, aka Kang Ning Wan (Kang Ning Wan is what I'd ask for in China). I would take 8 of the tea pills (small round balls a bit bigger than a Bee-bee) with that 1st meal of the day.

The Book Has Arrived!
            The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

Comment

Eating a Snickers pre workout would make me throw up too :P
              :preach:

Comment

Originally posted by liftweights View Post
                Eating a Snickers pre workout would make me throw up too :P
                :insane:yea, I wasn't even considering the fat content of the Snickers...12g is a bit much... I picked up some of the small snack sized ones and had one of those at the end of my w/o along with a banana - just before my powo drink today and it was a nice change.

Also, waited a good two hours after lunch before heading to the gym and mixed the creatine, BCAA and tried beta alanine for the first time today with caffeine as my intra. WOW! that combo puts some fire in the engine!!:plane:

Originally posted by homonunculus View Post
                Cu Ling pills, aka Curing pills, aka Kang Ning Wan (Kang Ning Wan is what I'd ask for in China). I would take 8 of the tea pills (small round balls a bit bigger than a Bee-bee) with that 1st meal of the day.
                Shared this at the end of my lecture today (Kang Ning Wan - 康宁丸) with my students and they were MORE than willing to help me out... Even though my Chinese language level is sufficient, I enjoy allowing them to help.
                Of course, they went above and beyond and got me like three different Chinese herbals LOL! I'll give 'em a rip starting tomorrow morning.
                I'm hoping it will help digestion as well as nutrient absorption...not to mention the nausea in the gym.

I've been struggling with not feeling hungry come the feeding time after "second breakfasts" - "Elevenzies??" (Eating like a hobbit) :peace:

Comment

Originally posted by Jen View Post
                  I have to have at least 2 hours between food and training. Just about anything makes my stomach churn. The combo of things you take would definitely bother me. I got on an rx for gerd a few years ago which also helps. That and knowing which foods are my triggers.
                  Just curious...what is gerd??

EDIT: just found this on webmd... http://www.webmd.com/heartburn-gerd/...disease-gerd-1

Comment

This could be one of two things, it's really hard to determine since you are just some random person online so sorry if I am wrong but:

1) It could be that you have a slow digestion and you work out too close to your meal. I personally can work out even right after having a four course meal and be fine, but I know quite a few people who can't work out until 1 1/2 to 2 hours after eating and they all say that it makes them extremely nauseous (the intense exercise makes your body pay attention to what is happening outside, which in turn can slow or temporarily stop digestion resulting in LOTS of nausea and possibly stomach aches)

2) It could be your training intensity or some supplements taken before your work out. If it is training intensity then just roll with it (it means you are doing something right) but try to keep the food down, you don't want to have to make another meal because you just yakked it all up ahah. If it is a pre workout supplement then try to get something with less caffeine, as some people can't stomach the high dose of caffeine (and some of the other stuff) that is put in some pre workouts. I remember when I used to take a pre workout back when I started training for rugby and EVERY time I was done with the gym I had to lie down for half an hour because I was so nauseous.

EDIT- Just to clarify, those two reasons I listed only come up on quads because it is generally a way more intense day when it comes to digestion and stomach stuff, since your core is in constant tension and a very big muscle group is being stimulated in a very intense way (especially if you are doing DC training style stuff with widowmakers on squats ahah)

Hope this helps man, good luck!
                    Last edited by T-Rex; 10-24-2014, 06:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gsop_3 View Post
                      Is it best to only use the creatine post only rather than pre AND post?

My understanding is that the body stores creatine continuously, so I don't see why you'd have to take it preWO. Post and maybe at other meals would suffice.

I personally feel better (more sustained and stable energy) when I have 10-15g fat preWO, but it's shake + almonds (occasionally whites + cooked egg yolks) which is pretty light. I would think that the liquid fats would come up easy.

Another thing you can try if you'll be training early is focus on getting in a more substantial meal the night prior, and keep it light preWO. That also works well for me.
                      2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions!

I've basically implemented nearly everything mentioned and today's quads session was killer! nausea but no vomiting...not even verps! LOL

The Chinese herbals have helped my stomach feel more comfortable all around.

Part of the indigestion may have been caused by the creatine so I've moved that to breakfast time and POWO drink.

empty or near empty stomach along with only SIPPING the water has made a huge dif as well...

keeping the fats fairly even...just moved the Snickers to POST only...

Comment

That's good to hear. Verps. I thought my sister made that word up. LOL
                          2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW

Comment

Sweet!

Verping up a snickers would be dang near sacrilegious.

-S
                            The Book Has Arrived!
                            The Book Has Arrived!

www.TrueNutrition.com

Comment

Not only the verps but also if I eat too fast and drink too much fluid right after, I get the dreaded hiccuverps! HORRIBLE!

That stuff gets hard to choke back down...and no matter what anyone says, it really doesn't taste better the second time around.

Comment

Working...
                              X