Politics politics politics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Politics politics politics

So, the title of Mr O goes back to Phil Heath. Some seen it coming others thought they_______________ (your favorite bodybuilder goes here) were robbed and it came down to politics. Everyone has to have an excuse why right? I want to know the facts. Not how each individual placed or why they placed that way, frankly it don't really care, I can't change the opinion of the judges....Or could I? Well I mean if I had a ton of money and something I could loose riding on a competitor. But, I don't I'm a poor boy living in Oklahoma City with his girlfriend trying to find a job that will supplement my bodybuilding more.

So the question is, does politics really affect the placing or outcome of the shows at such high level?

I would go and say yes for the smaller shows leading to the olympia there might be some. It's an industry that's making a ton of money that I'll never have. So, I give someone the win. They go to the O and compete. Their fans follow and the fan base draws more money in; win win right?

Maybe some of the old heads (more experienced) could comment on their feelings/experiences/truths.
    I have found iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me. It never runs. Friends may come and go but two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds. There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength, Once the mind and body have been awakened to their true potential, its impossible to turn back, the iron never lies to you.

I would say yes, politics plays a major role. Should Ronnie have beaten Jay during his last few Olympia wins? I would have to say no. Should Jay have placed ahead of Big Ramy last year? I say no again. With that said you have to remember bodybuilding is a subjective sport. So I am sure there are people who would disagree with my previous statements, and thats fine.

With that being said I thought last night was judged pretty well. I had Wolf ahead of Rhoden, but it was close. Now my " subjective " opinion I would have seen it Phil, Dennis, Shawn, Kai. I am just not a fan of Kai's physique, I love watching him pose and he seems like a great guy so it's nothing personal.

I think my opinion is somewhat based on who's physique I would like to have. I'm a taller guy with a long torso so I tend to like the Wolf and Roden look a little more. But I'm also a fan of Branch ( who looked great ) and Jay. I'm just saying if I could look like Kai Greene or Steve Kuclo, I'd pick Kuclo anyday.
    Back in the Game

2006 OCB Richmond 4th
    2006 OCB Pittsburgh 1st
    2007 OCB Richmond 6th
    2007 OCB Pittsburgh 4th

2015 Spartan Sprint OH 82nd out of 2500 Aroo!

Comment

We are all bias in that we tend to gravitate towards the look we prefer and support that competitor. I think people do that even as judges. When I judge, there are physiques that stand out to me as what I prefer and then others that I don't and the one that I prefer might not be as hard or muscular but the overall look is more appealing (to me) - that is judging.

I understand that everyone is saying it was "so close" or "could have gone either way" but if I am being honest, I have not heard ONE person that is a Phil fan say he shouldn't have won and I am not hearing one Kai fan saying Phil should have won. From my vantage point, this Mr O was just like the rest of them: Phil won and the Kai fans are pissed and think Kai got robbed.

When the dust settles in the next couple of days I would like to get the chance to see pics and compare but ... with Kai and Phil it is hard to compare, anyway. I have said many times that I prefer Kai's physique if I had to pick which one I wanted for ME to look like. I like his shape better. I just don't want his inarticulate way of speaking, that fucking hair do or the shitty decisions he makes and the things that come out of his mouth.

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
      Instagram: @intensemuscle
      YouTube: TEAMSKIP
      TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

C'mon Skip, you'd look sweet with a 3ft pony tail. Or whatever that thing is
        Back in the Game

2006 OCB Richmond 4th
        2006 OCB Pittsburgh 1st
        2007 OCB Richmond 6th
        2007 OCB Pittsburgh 4th

2015 Spartan Sprint OH 82nd out of 2500 Aroo!

Comment

I see Phil opened his chest up more on the side chest pose. Skip any encouraging words go out to him?
          I have found iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me. It never runs. Friends may come and go but two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds. There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength, Once the mind and body have been awakened to their true potential, its impossible to turn back, the iron never lies to you.

Comment

I made sure to text him and congratulate him but I am sure he was bombarded with texts, calls, emails, etc..

I haven't seen but maybe a handful of pics so I will need to be going through pics early this week to see if it was really as close as the Kai fans want to believe it was or not. The scorecard says it was unanimous so it APPEARS to be an obvious win.

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
            Instagram: @intensemuscle
            YouTube: TEAMSKIP
            TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Originally posted by Ken "Skip" Hill View Post
              I made sure to text him and congratulate him but I am sure he was bombarded with texts, calls, emails, etc..

I haven't seen but maybe a handful of pics so I will need to be going through pics early this week to see if it was really as close as the Kai fans want to believe it was or not. The scorecard says it was unanimous so it APPEARS to be an obvious win.

Skip
              I looked at the pictures on MD; I don't think it was close at all. To be honest, I would have put Rhoden, Wolf, and Jackson ahead of Kai.

To the OP's original stipulation about politics, of course they're relevant. Phil just also happens to have the best physique in the show for the fourth time in a row. If the Mr. Olympia is the highest honour in the sport, and in turn the representative of the sport, then you want someone who has the image and charisma to carry it forward and hopefully appeal to a wider fanbase. Look at some of the past winners:

Larry Scott - Poster boy of the muscle beach era.

Sergio Oliva - Ahead of his time.

Arnold Schwarzenegger - Arnold is Arnold.

Lee Haney - Everything written about him is that he's the nicest guy in the world, charitable etc.

Dorian Yates - Kept his mouth shut and brought that stiff upper lip blue collar work ethic.

Jay Cutler - Arguably the most marketable bodybuilder.

The leader of the sport has to be someone that both the fans and general public can gravitate and relate to. A 6-foot skullet and a penchant for grapefruits doesn't fit the bill.
              FK86
              Light-heavyweight Member
              Last edited by FK86; 09-22-2014, 01:14 PM.

Comment

I read that a lot too (of course it was keyboard warriors over social media)
                Ok, so if that's the case, is it Phil and Kai 1 and 2 because of the strong rival they have over each other to bring money in? (Farah says "played out")

I'm trying to get away from the who showed up better argument, and mainly talk about the rumors of politics. It's a growing sport a huge buisness why wouldn't there be. If it's subjective, not all people are honest and play fair. Psh law enforcement is subjective, it's not black and white and look what comes out of that subject.

I'm a big fan of the underdogs. If someone is subject to win. I'm cheering for the others. I like to watch good competition. I have my favorites also.
                If a bb wins the O one time great job. Two times, ok he might have something going. Three times, ok someone step up and take it from him. I was going to root for number 2 no matter who he was.

Comment

I'm my household it turned into the Branch show. How high could he place? As he got higher and higher in the standings, we were cheering louder and louder.

Comment

Working...
                  X