BMR testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BMR testing

Just like the title says I want to talk about BMR (base metabolic rate) testing a little bit. first off, I am considering having my own BMR taken and was wondering if anyone on the board here has had this done.

Secondly I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were concerning whether this information is important or not and is it worth the financial investment? For those of you that has had this test preformed, was the information you obtained helpful and did it change the way you approached your diet?

Thanks!

BMR will change when you get more muscle mass or lose it. I even remember, that fat tissue also changes BMR slightly. And age of course. So, I don't really see why would it be worth the money...

Comment

do you know how much body composition can influence BMR; is it by a significant amount?
      I imagine it is different among individuals.

Comment

Some articles says 1 pound of muscle will raise 6-50 kcal/day and fat 2 kcal/day. Doesn't sound that much, but in real life the more muscular you are, the easier it is to get shredded.

Comment

http://articles.elitefts.com/nutriti...size-fits-one/
          The Book Has Arrived!
          The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
          2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
          2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

Originally posted by Ihaanator View Post
            Some articles says 1 pound of muscle will raise 6-50 kcal/day and fat 2 kcal/day. Doesn't sound that much, but in real life the more muscular you are, the easier it is to get shredded.
            Thank you!

Comment

yup..I had one done one week out before competing in a physique contest..at 185 lbs it said that my BMR was 2200 cals..the calculation was that my BMR was 7% faster than to be expected..in short, I had to breath into a machine (with nose pinched) for about 15 mins..it measured the amount of CO2 i expended..i found it useful and i plan to get it checked again in a few months to see if there's any change in the # of cals im burning
              countless hours of preparation, for minutes on stage

Step Back A Second, And See The Big Picture...

Comment

Originally posted by Adrenaline Rush View Post
                yup..I had one done one week out before competing in a physique contest..at 185 lbs it said that my BMR was 2200 cals..the calculation was that my BMR was 7% faster than to be expected..in short, I had to breath into a machine (with nose pinched) for about 15 mins..it measured the amount of CO2 i expended..i found it useful and i plan to get it checked again in a few months to see if there's any change in the # of cals im burning
                AR,

How was knowing your BMR useful to you?... Or was it more so just interesting?...

-S
                The Book Has Arrived!
                The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
                2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
                2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

Hey Scott! For my situation, I found it useful from a psychological standpoint. Mentally, I was convinced that I was burning less calories than the BMR test told me. I would get swayed in my mind by water fluctuations with weight and the BMR was a reassurance of hey, you burn x number of calories per day..stop worrying about gaining fat from x number of calories..Since I've set my calories fairly close the BMR + exercise estimate, I've maintained condition without freaking out everyday about if I'm in a defecit or surplus etc....Does that make sense?
                  countless hours of preparation, for minutes on stage

Step Back A Second, And See The Big Picture...

Comment

Homon,
                    After reading through the article (quite enlightening, btw), I came away with this question: Although, no "Snowflake" is the same as any other, are there not guiding principles by which one can go by on the journey to understanding and manipulating individual responses and controlling body composition? Furthermore, wouldn't an analysis of an individual's BMR be a useful point of reference by which future changes can be made? OR is the individual BMR so variant throughout the day, week, month, year, that it's totally useless and we must simply go by trial and error (based on basic diet/body comp. manipulation principles - whatever those may be)?
                    Unless a man undertakes more than he can possibly do, he will never do all he can.

Unfathomable progress is the result of consistent, daily steps toward a single goal

Comment

Working...
                    X