Brand new to lifting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brand new to lifting

Hi everyone. Im 33 and 220lbs and live in Reno Nv. Had gastric bypass 2 years ago and lost 130lbs. I want to lift and put on muscle and get rid of the remaining fat I have. I dont want to injure myself or have setbacks that will kill my motivation. I have no idea how to build a workout routine or what suppliments I should he talking. I have a 5lb container of gold standard whey 100 on the way but thats it.. any help would be much appriciated!

Have you ever lifted before and are you cleared by your doc to do so?
    I've won on so many levels already I don't even care how I do at the show. I just wanna look damn good!!

--Steel

Muscles don't know how old they are.

Treat them like they are old and eat soup... and they will be.

Train 'em hard and feed them like a stud... and they will be.

So will you.

Journal

Comment

What does your current diet and exercise routine look like?
      #docswholift
      PGY-1 FM
      "No idea is above scrutiny and no people are beneath dignity." -Maajid Nawaz

Comment

Originally posted by Dean3238 View Post
        Have you ever lifted before and are you cleared by your doc to do so?
        I have very limited experience. I worked construction about 10 years ago and did some lifting then but nothing major. Ive been cleared by a doc. I have 2 degenerating sternoclavicular joints.
        ( where the sternum meets the clavicle) I need to build up muscle to stablize the area and want to get in nice shape.

Comment

Originally posted by nexa View Post
          What does your current diet and exercise routine look like?
          Currently my diet is all over the map. Im slowly streamlining it to more protein I need at least 200g a day. And more greens and better quality carbs no junk food. Since I have gastric bypass its hard to eat that much in protein so I need to supplement it cause I also need 100 oz of water a day which I never get.. exercise.. I have a bowflex and dumbells in 5lb increments from 10 to 45 lbs. I hunt and fish but its seasonal. I get about 7 to 12 miles a day at work 3 to 4 days a week on my pedometer. And I chase a 1 abd 2 yr old around at home the rest of the week plus house chores and some sit ups and push ups..

Comment

Originally posted by Quikstryke View Post
            Currently my diet is all over the map. Im slowly streamlining it to more protein I need at least 200g a day. And more greens and better quality carbs no junk food. Since I have gastric bypass its hard to eat that much in protein so I need to supplement it cause I also need 100 oz of water a day which I never get.. exercise.. I have a bowflex and dumbells in 5lb increments from 10 to 45 lbs. I hunt and fish but its seasonal. I get about 7 to 12 miles a day at work 3 to 4 days a week on my pedometer. And I chase a 1 abd 2 yr old around at home the rest of the week plus house chores and some sit ups and push ups..

What is a good day/time for you to get a lifting session in? How much time are you willing to carve out of your schedule to make lifting a habit?
            #docswholift
            PGY-1 FM
            "No idea is above scrutiny and no people are beneath dignity." -Maajid Nawaz

Comment

Originally posted by nexa View Post
              What is a good day/time for you to get a lifting session in? How much time are you willing to carve out of your schedule to make lifting a habit?
              Well if I use my equipment I can lift any time /day so my time to carve out is 1 hr plus. Im looking at a gym about 5 min that is 20$ a month also and could work out there at least 3 to 5 times a week. everyday before i go to work which is 3 to 4 days a week and 1 to 2 nights a week after the wife gets home to take over kid duty..so I have some flexability..

Comment

What equipment do you have at home? What does that gym have available?
                I've won on so many levels already I don't even care how I do at the show. I just wanna look damn good!!

--Steel

So will you.

Journal

Comment

What equipment do you have at home? What does that gym have available?
                  At home I have a treadmill, bowflex, and dumbells at 5lb increments from 10 to 45 lbs and a standard bench.
                  Quikstryke
                  Last edited by Quikstryke; 08-09-2014, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Certainly should be possible to create a simple, full body routine using the DBs to get you started.

Something that might get you going would be three days a week (M-W-F being typical).

1) Squat (DBs in hands at sides, squat down and back up)
                    2) DB Bench Press
                    3) DB Row
                    4) Vertical Press

Nothing fancy, no special stuff (little muscles just get worked in the bigger exercises)... use weights that feel good, three sets of 8-12, take the time you need to keep relaxed.

--Steel

So will you.

Journal

Comment

Certainly should be possible to create a simple, full body routine using the DBs to get you started.

Something that might get you going would be three days a week (M-W-F being typical).

1) Squat (DBs in hands at sides, squat down and back up)
                      2) DB Bench Press
                      3) DB Row
                      4) Vertical Press

Nothing fancy, no special stuff (little muscles just get worked in the bigger exercises)... use weights that feel good, three sets of 8-12, take the time you need to keep relaxed.
                      Thank you! ! I will start monday! Do I need anything other then my shake? And should I drink it at a specific time? Should I eat a meal before or after? I also have multi vitamins.

Comment

Probably best to keep everything as simple as possible to start. Drink your shake right after working out, but I wouldn't add anything else (especially any of the over-priced crap you get at GNC or whatever that promises mega-instant-gains).

Other than that, eat like a fit human and see how it goes.

--Steel

So will you.

Journal

Comment

Probably best to keep everything as simple as possible to start. Drink your shake right after working out, but I wouldn't add anything else (especially any of the over-priced crap you get at GNC or whatever that promises mega-instant-gains).

Other than that, eat like a fit human and see how it goes.
                          Ok ill keep it simple and start slow. I bought my powder off amazon it was much cheaper and free 2 day shipping.

I really appreciate the help and will report back after my first workout and as I progress!

Comment

Good. It's critical to listen to your body and learn the difference between pains that indicate a good workout and others than foreshadow injury. Have fun and keep us posted!

--Steel

So will you.

Journal

Comment

First workout in the books! Sore but pumped and excited! I cant believe how out of shape I am and how little weight I had to start at but its A start..
                              Quikstryke
                              Last edited by Quikstryke; 08-12-2014, 01:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X