Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

delayed water retention?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • delayed water retention?

    I did a huge skipload without drinking much water and looked amazing the next day (dry and full). However, another day later I looked small, flat, and smooth. Is this because I resumed my regular water intake? Also, should I be trying to get in fluids during the load or keep it to a minimum (dry load)?

  • #2
    Drink lot of water during the load.

    Comment


    • #3
      Are you loading to peak for a contest/shoot or as a refeed?
      phoenix13
      OG Mod of all Mods
      Last edited by phoenix13; 08-05-2014, 11:12 AM. Reason: grammar
      2014 Greater Gulf States 2nd WPD Class B
      2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW
      2009 Houston Pro/Am 1st LHW & Overall (Am)
      2008 Jr. Nationals 5th LHW
      2007 Greater Gulf States 1st LHW
      2007 LA Championships 1st LHW & Overall

      Comment


      • #4
        Same here when I skipload since I don't drink all that much being that I want to pack in the carbs. I look good the next day then no so much after consuming water.

        I think I'll like to give sh*tloading a try next time. What's the best way to dry out before a sh*tload inorder for the load to pull water from subcutaneous layer?

        Comment


        • #5
          The "best" way will depend on what your diet looks like the days (even weeks) prior to the load, and how extreme you want to be with the drying out.
          2014 Greater Gulf States 2nd WPD Class B
          2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW
          2009 Houston Pro/Am 1st LHW & Overall (Am)
          2008 Jr. Nationals 5th LHW
          2007 Greater Gulf States 1st LHW
          2007 LA Championships 1st LHW & Overall

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by phoenix13 View Post
            The "best" way will depend on what your diet looks like the days (even weeks) prior to the load, and how extreme you want to be with the drying out.
            I've been on a low carb diet while dieting down similar to CKD, but I kept my carb intake around 100g give or take, but since I wanted to do a sh*tload trail run come this Saturday its been no higher then 50g the pass 3 days and I don't foresee my macro nutrient changing. See below.

            BW - 170lbs
            2200 calories: 135g fats / 48g carbs / 182g protein

            I've also upped my water intake from 5 liters to about 8 liters.

            Would there be anything else I can do to ensure I come out dry before my load? aside from increasing water and lowering carbs.

            Thanks, Tony

            Comment


            • #7
              How extreme can one get to drying out?

              My plan was to deplete Friday and continue to drink water until bed time. Come Saturday morning is where I would start the sh*tload with no water, so I can track my progress eating every hour or so.

              Thanks in advance.
              Tonysok
              New Member
              Last edited by Tonysok; 08-05-2014, 07:53 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Tonysok, 8l of water a day? Is that common around here... That seems like an almost dangerous amount of water to be drinking. Someone educate me on why is is or isn't please

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Kingie View Post
                  Tonysok, 8l of water a day? Is that common around here... That seems like an almost dangerous amount of water to be drinking. Someone educate me on why is is or isn't please
                  1. Noakes, T.D., et al., Peak rates of diuresis in healthy humans during oral fluid overload. S Afr Med J, 2001. 91(10): p. 852-7. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q..._uids=11732457

                  OBJECTIVE: To determine whether rates of intestinal fluid absorption and renal diuresis can match high rates of fluid ingestion in healthy humans exposed to oral fluid overload, thereby preventing the development of hyponatraemia either by reverse sodium movement across the intestine (the Priestley-Haldane effect) or by expansion of the extracellular fluid volume. METHODS: Changes in renal function and in plasma chemical measurements in response to an oral fluid overload (0.9-1.8 l/h x 3 h) were investigated in 6 healthy control subjects at rest, and in a subject with a history of exercise-induced symptomatic hyponatraemia, during both prolonged (160-minute) exercise and at rest. FINDINGS: All control subjects gained weight (2.7 +/- 0.2 kg, mean +/- standard error of mean (SEM)) because the rate of oral fluid intake exceeded the peak rate of urine production (778 +/- 39 ml/h). Blood volume rose by 7.1 (+/- 0.5)% and plasma sodium concentrations fell progressively from 144 +/- 2.6 to 136 +/- 1.1 mmol/l (P < 0.05) in the control subjects. Plasma potassium and angiotensin II concentrations were unchanged and creatinine clearance was normal (approximately 125 ml/min). Free water clearance reached a maximum of 11.2 +/- 0.9 ml/min after 2 hours. The increase in body mass could be accounted for by calculated or measured changes in extra- and intracellular fluid volumes. Similar changes were measured in the subject with a previous history of symptomatic hyponatraemia. CONCLUSION: The rate of intestinal fluid absorption appeared to match the rate of oral fluid ingestion and there was no evidence of fluid accumulation in the intestine with reverse sodium movement from the extracellular space into intestinal fluid. The results of this study are therefore at variance with the Priestley-Haldane hypothesis and suggest that reverse sodium movement did not contribute to the hyponatraemia induced by oral fluid overload in these subjects. Rather it appears that humans may have a limited capacity to excrete fluid at rates in excess of approximately 900 ml/h in response to higher rates of oral fluid intake. When the rate of intestinal fluid absorption matches the rate of fluid ingestion and exceeds the kidneys' maximum capacity for fluid excretion, the excess fluid accumulates in the extra- and intracellular fluid compartments, inducing the dilutional hyponatraemia of water intoxication. These findings may have relevance to other clinical conditions in which hyponatraemia develops in response to high rates of oral or intravenous fluid provision.


                  ---------------------

                  -S
                  The Book Has Arrived!
                  The Book Has Arrived!

                  Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"


                  www.TrueNutrition.com

                  2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
                  2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
                  2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    This is assuming water cut off Friday p.m., load Saturday a.m. which is what I get from your posts. What I would do: keep water high until cut off. Possibly taking in slightly more water on Friday. Friday reduce sodium intake. If you've been salting/seasoning your food, just stop and watch out for condiments, sodas etc. You can add Vit C, green tea, dandelion root, asparagus Friday. You should be peeing like a racehorse (possibly cramping though as well, so consider having some taurine on hand). Saturday wake up and eat.

                    (The only thing I personally would do differently is add some clean, low sodium carbs after water cutoff late Fri)

                    It varies person to person due to how lean you already are and how your body responds to this, but I consider this "extreme" enough for bbing level peaking.
                    phoenix13
                    OG Mod of all Mods
                    Last edited by phoenix13; 08-06-2014, 01:31 PM.
                    2014 Greater Gulf States 2nd WPD Class B
                    2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW
                    2009 Houston Pro/Am 1st LHW & Overall (Am)
                    2008 Jr. Nationals 5th LHW
                    2007 Greater Gulf States 1st LHW
                    2007 LA Championships 1st LHW & Overall

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by phoenix13 View Post
                      This is assuming water cut off Friday p.m., load Saturday a.m. which is what I get from your posts. What I would do: keep water high until cut off. Possibly taking in slightly more water on Friday. Friday reduce sodium intake. If you've been salting/seasoning your food, just stop and watch out for condiments, sodas etc. You can add Vit C, green tea, dandelion root, asparagus Friday. You should be peeing like a racehorse (possibly cramping though as well, so consider having some taurine on hand). Saturday wake up and eat.

                      (The only thing I personally would do differently is add some clean, low sodium carbs after water cutoff late Fri)

                      It varies person to person due to how lean you already are and how your body responds to this, but I consider this "extreme" enough for bbing level peaking.
                      I've been salting my eggs and veggies to taste, but nothing drastically. I'll make sure to remove them on Friday.

                      What's the reason for reducing sodium the day prior to the day, if we're going to be eating sodium rich food the following morning?

                      I train in the evening after work, so I'll most likely get one meal in w/ water and cut it off then. You mention you'd personally like to have some clean carb after water cut off, is there a reason behide this? and lastly what are the sources you use? i.e. white rice, salt-free ricecake

                      Thanks for all the useful information.

                      Tony

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Tonysok View Post
                        What's the reason for reducing sodium the day prior to the day, if we're going to be eating sodium rich food the following morning?
                        I'll give you my non-scientific version. By both increasing water and decreasing sodium, you are creating a more dramatic natural diuretic effect. Your body wants to keep its sodium concentration at a certain level. You are creating a scenario where it starts excreting water to regain that balance, which typically lasts long enough for you to finish your protocol for peaking. The other side of this feedback loop is when you reintroduce water regular intake, and your body holds onto it temporarily (such as when you spill over the day or couple days after peaking). You need sodium for muscle fullness, so this is something you don't want to over-do (it's also why you will be having sodium the following morning).

                        Originally posted by Tonysok View Post
                        I train in the evening after work, so I'll most likely get one meal in w/ water and cut it off then. You mention you'd personally like to have some clean carb after water cut off, is there a reason behide this? and lastly what are the sources you use? i.e. white rice, salt-free ricecake

                        Thanks for all the useful information.

                        Tony
                        I would have no sodium carbs after water is cut off because usually by this point in my protocol, I am needing more carbs in general and more time to get them to convert to glycogen to be full for the window in which I want to peak. If you are not as carb depleted, you may not need those p.m. carbs. You want them to be low sodium in order to make your body continue to excrete water (see what I wrote above). Save the sodium for at least 8 hrs after dropping water.

                        I mostly use things I've used on my refeeds up to that point because I'll have a good idea of if my body likes it. Low sodium: rice cakes, jelly, sweet potato. Sh*t: cake, cookies, chex mix, poptarts, anything that catches my eye and looks tasty.

                        This is my current preference for drying out/loading. It's derived from public posts by homon, Skip and Matt Porter, and personal experimentation. I want to give them credit. There's lots of ways to skin this cat. If you do this, let me know how it works for you.
                        2014 Greater Gulf States 2nd WPD Class B
                        2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW
                        2009 Houston Pro/Am 1st LHW & Overall (Am)
                        2008 Jr. Nationals 5th LHW
                        2007 Greater Gulf States 1st LHW
                        2007 LA Championships 1st LHW & Overall

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Cheers homonunculus

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I will definitely give this a run this weekend and let you know the outcome.

                            Originally posted by jwy5034 View Post
                            I did a huge skipload without drinking much water and looked amazing the next day (dry and full). However, another day later I looked small, flat, and smooth. Is this because I resumed my regular water intake? Also, should I be trying to get in fluids during the load or keep it to a minimum (dry load)?
                            Jwy5034, I want to apologize for hijacking your post.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Well I ran the sh*tload, but I wasn't patience enough so it essentially became a skipload toward the end. I didn't load the night before after cutting water but instead started Saturday morning upon waking up with donuts. Maybe I wasn't lean or dry enough, see pics. I looked to be smoothing out around noon, that's when I just decided to kick it and switch over to skiploading. I'll test it again, but this time I will load on some clean carb the night before.
                              Attached Files

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X