Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lifting Tempo Differences and Question

Guys,

New to the site and giving DC a run as we speak. While watching videos of Skip working out i couldn't help but notice his lifting tempo as opposed to his partner whom Skip pointed out is an athlete and isn't as interested in bodybuilding but explosiveness.

Skip on Flat DB chest press for instance had a solid 2 second eccentric a slight pause in the bottom and top position and rather than explosive on the way up it appeared still controlled but a hint slower than the eccentric. I am assuming the pause at the top is a slight squeeze? I definitely don't do this i tend to do the constant tension method, would you guys says one is better than the other?

I really don't want to harp on the minor things, but i notice a distinct difference between guys like Skip, Cutler even Sergio Oliva whom ive seen on tape have that incredibly smooth controlled reps and 95% of the gym goers who explode up but drop the weight just as fast on the decent. These guys claim to control the negative but we have all seen it they don't and that they bounce and use as much momentum as possible to complete x number of reps. I go in with the intent of a slow controlled eccentric but i cant lie i believe the ego takes over and im sure i am going too fast perhaps sloppy.

This also doesn't seem to work great though with some exercises, i find rows to be somewhat difficult to do a legit 2 or 3 second eccentric, deadlifts etc. Ayn other exercises you think should not be purposely lowered slowly? With my goal being muscle gains. This is a concern because with DC you want to obviously beat the log book but not at the expense of proper form.

Do you guys tend to lower the ego, drop the weight a bit and ensure you get a good 2-3 second eccentric and a controlled lift? Or am i being absurd? Again, the reason i ask is i see a definite difference between guys like Skip and his tempo and the avg gym goer, not to mention Skip is a machine and alot of them look like crap.

Thanks,
    Last edited by LK25; 07-07-2014, 05:47 PM.

If you are talking about DC as you said you were going to start.... Control the negative. Don't get wrapped up in doing 3.246 second negatives. Plain and simple, control the negative.

Don't over analyze it... Lift heavy ass weight, beat the logbook and control the negative
    Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
    2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
    2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Thanks mental, i thought that would be the response. I guess when the weights get heavy it is human nature to speed through a set and i know Dante and certainly Skip dont do this. As i said in Skip's video, very controlled negative.

Comment

I actually do the 4 count negatives on exercises like bench, shoulder variants and tri's. I find bi's, chins/pulldns, and especially rows take me a nice 5 count. They are very slow and ego free. My arms have never been bigger since rowing slow.

My deads are a little faster but I do them in sets of 15 plus.
        "Be gentle in what you do, firm in how you do it."
        Buck Brannaman.

"It is the certainty of punishment that deters crime, not the severity of it."
        'Hanging' Judge PARKER

"Nothing is so powerful as an insight into human nature... what compulsions drive a man, what instincts dominate his action... if you know these things about a man you can touch him at the core of his being."
        ~William Bernbach

Comment

SAHD,

Commend you on that slow controlled rows are brutal, im assuming you had to lower your weights at first significantly to have a 4-5 second negative?

Comment

Yes I did have to lower the weights.

I initially used to smash out the reps like everyone else but after seeing a number of videos from others on here and reading DC I decided to really slow it down and see what happened. In short nothing was affected very much. I still grew and feel that the lack of weight was made up for by the lack of any momentum and increased TUT.

I also have had very few weights related injuries and I attribute this to possibly lower weights meaning lower forces on the joints.

Hope that helps.
            "Be gentle in what you do, firm in how you do it."
            Buck Brannaman.

"It is the certainty of punishment that deters crime, not the severity of it."
            'Hanging' Judge PARKER

"Nothing is so powerful as an insight into human nature... what compulsions drive a man, what instincts dominate his action... if you know these things about a man you can touch him at the core of his being."
            ~William Bernbach

Comment

Working...
            X