Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting - feeling sluggish

Hi guys,

I started my cut on the 1th of March. My weight was 100.8 kg then, for the last 3 weeks I have been at 92 kg. ( my height is 6'2 ) So as you can see, there hasnt really been much progress in those last couple weeks when it comes to the scale. I lost some minor fat optically though. I can't really say what my bf is right now, but I still have some lower ab belly fat.

My macros are : 50g fat, 220g pro and 160g carbs for the last week. Calories are around 2000-2100 on my training days. I wokrout 5 days a week- push pull legs. 1-2 ( most of the time 1 ) Cardio sessions consisting of soccer , each session 1 hour.
    I refeed every 7 days, carbs are about 700-600g on those days, fat less than 50g.
    My diet basically consists of lots veggies, oats , whey, lean meat, avocados , almonds , rice and rice cakes.
    Well the thing is, that I felt terribel the last few days. I feel sluggish and weak. Training is absolutely not fun, I have to force myself to go there actually. I can maintain strength however, but its tough. My stamina is kind of decreasing though.. I get weaker the longer I workout.

I dont know what to do now... Keep cutting seems like an impossible task at the moment, furthermore I wanted to end my cut in 10 days anyway.
    I am very thankful for any suggestions
    Last edited by fndrx; 06-11-2014, 01:25 PM.

From what you posted, you have made good progress during your cut. When is the last time you deloaded/cruised with weights? If you've been blasting since the beginning of March while in a caloric deficit and dropping ~9kg, it's not too odd for you to be drained.

You can just push through if you only plan to do 10 more days, maybe reduce training frequency or volume within the workouts...then take some time off. From a dietary standpoint, it's possible you could add some food (maybe some carbs around some of the workouts) and monitor your condition moreso than the scale. You are probably safe to bump up your protein a bit regardless.
    Last edited by phoenix13; 06-11-2014, 03:14 PM.
    2014 Greater Gulf States 2nd WPD Class B
    2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW
    2009 Houston Pro/Am 1st LHW & Overall (Am)
    2008 Jr. Nationals 5th LHW
    2007 Greater Gulf States 1st LHW
    2007 LA Championships 1st LHW & Overall

Comment

No , I didnt take a week off or did a cruise week.
      Lets say overtraining is an issue here, will I burn any more fat if I keep training ?

The same question for upping carbs and therefore calories, will I keep losing fat when upping carbs/calories ? Actually this would be some sort of reverse dieting wouldnt it be ?
      Dont know if its important, but I used to "bulk" with 500-600g of carbs without gaining fat too quickly. I think I should have kept carbs much higher during my cut, but thats just a lesson for my next cut.
      Last edited by fndrx; 06-11-2014, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fndrx View Post
        No , I didnt take a week off or did a cruise week.
        Lets say overtraining is an issue here, will I burn any more fat if I keep training ?

The same question for upping carbs and therefore calories, will I keep losing fat when upping carbs/calories ? Actually this would be some sort of reverse dieting wouldnt it be ?
        The metabolism and fatloss can be thought of as driving a car (ideally very fast )... Just because you take your foot off the accelerator doesn't mean the car comes to an abrupt stop. It depends on your ultimate goal and/or how important holding your muscle is to you. The workouts may burn some fat, but they may also be burning muscle at this point, at least toward the end when you say you are getting weaker. If you're maintaining strength for the start of the workout, you can cut it short when you start to tank. You're still stimulating the muscles. Personally, I'd rather cut the weights short and finish off with some cardio if the goal is fatloss with muscle maintenance.

Whether or not upping the carbs will facilitate fatloss will depend on how lean you are, your metabolism, etc. That's why I say just try it at some of the workouts (maybe the hardest ones), and keep an eye on the mirror. For some, it works to further fatloss, whereas others just have to suffer and push through.

EDIT: Just saw your add to your post. If you could handle that many carbs...I'd be inclined to try adding some carbs around your hardest workouts, even just 30-60g total, and see what happens.
        2014 Greater Gulf States 2nd WPD Class B
        2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW
        2009 Houston Pro/Am 1st LHW & Overall (Am)
        2008 Jr. Nationals 5th LHW
        2007 Greater Gulf States 1st LHW
        2007 LA Championships 1st LHW & Overall

Comment

Working...
        X