Lifting/Cardio Timing & Benefits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lifting/Cardio Timing & Benefits

This is more curiosity than anything else. Interested in different peoples preference, as well as what they BELIEVE to be the scientific reason for their choice. The goal is year round leanness while adding size slowly. No contest in sight or desire to get much below 7-9% BF. Just the rippy athletic look year round.

OPTION A) Early morning fasted cardio between 5-6am and then weights around 8PM.

OPTION B) Cardio at noon after 2 meals and then weights at 8pm.

OPTION C) Early morning fasted cardio and then weights around noon.

OPTION D) Weights around noon then cardio around 8pm.

Thoughts? Other than preference, does it really matter THAT much?
    Save yourself 5% on all your TRUENUTRITION orders by using discount code MTM281

My Training Log Here at IM

"Success is neither magical nor mysterious. Success is the natural consequence of consistently applying the basic fundamentals." -Jim Rohn

Option A, out of convenience...
    SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

LG, if schedule was not a factor and all options are equally feasible from one to the next would you still choose A?

"Success is neither magical nor mysterious. Success is the natural consequence of consistently applying the basic fundamentals." -Jim Rohn

Comment

Originally posted by mateus View Post
        LG, if schedule was not a factor and all options are equally feasible from one to the next would you still choose A?
        Yeah, I subscribe to having lots of time between your cardio session and weight training session if done on the same day. That's what I am currently doing myself. I also bought into the idea that doing cardio fasted especially if carbs are kept lower the night before may force the body to tap into fats a sa primary fuel source for that morning cardio session. Plus, fasted morning cardio is what Skip had me do :-)

Comment

Originally posted by LG1 View Post
          Plus, fasted morning cardio is what Skip had me do :-)
          Enough said lol. So if you lift later in the evening, do you take stimulants at all before?

Comment

Option E.

Cardio on off days.

Also on Option A, how do you get enough sleep. If I start lifting at 8, I won't get to bed til 1 am.

Comment

Enough said lol. So if you lift later in the evening, do you take stimulants at all before?
              Good question :-) I am very sensitive to stims. I have a small cup of coffee at about 3pm on days I lift in the evening.
              I am a believer in nootropics, so I will have some L-Tyrosine and other stuff in my pre or intra WO drink.

Comment

Originally posted by -AJA14- View Post
                Option E.

Cardio on off days.

Also on Option A, how do you get enough sleep. If I start lifting at 8, I won't get to bed til 1 am.
                FIVE hours! Why?

Comment

Option E.

Cardio on off days.

FIVE hours! Why?
                  LOL. Yeah that is a concern on Option A for me too. I am usually back home from the gym by 9:30pm. I will eat a full meal around 10:15-10:30 then shower and bed. I am lucky if I'm asleep by 11:30 and on treadmill downstairs by 6am. Its not TOO bad but not the easiest for me.

For those reasons I am thinking of Option B. This allows me to go HIIT 2-3 days a week with food in my stomach and then 8 hours until I lift.

Option D is the one that keeps me awake too long. Cardio at night wakes me up big time.

Comment

Option C is what I do currently. I have no science behind it but I like it. Cardio sucks anytime of the day so get it over with first thing then I get some food and coffee in and by noon I'm ready to hit the gym hard. I used to do more of option A but I am just so much more tired and unmotivated after being at work 8-9 hours. Getting in at lunch breaks the day up for me.

**edited, i used to do option A. I had C twice**
                    Last edited by LKQSJH; 06-09-2014, 04:50 PM.
                    6/22/13 - 2013 NPC VICTORY CLASSIC
                    1st - Novice Men's Lightheavy & Novice overall

Comment

Originally posted by LKQSJH View Post
                      Option C is what I do currently. I have no science behind it but I like it. Cardio sucks anytime of the day so get it over with first thing then I get some food and coffee in and by noon I'm ready to hit the gym hard. I used to do more of option C but I am just so much more tired and unmotivated after being at work 8-9 hours. Getting in at lunch breaks the day up for me.
                      Option C is what I do now too. I like it very much because of the fact that I can go during my lunch hour and break up my day. And then when I get off work I know I am completely done with everything. My son just joined my gym and wants me to train him. That has us in the gym at 8pm. I have been going back and forth with what I will do. Continue my schedule and just train him at night (no lifting for me) or do I start lifting with him at 8pm. If I do, I would need to move the cardio stuff around. Looking at the options and what others do and what their thoughts are. Thanks for the input.

Comment

Option C is what I do now too. I like it very much because of the fact that I can go during my lunch hour and break up my day. And then when I get off work I know I am completely done with everything. My son just joined my gym and wants me to train him. That has us in the gym at 8pm. I have been going back and forth with what I will do. Continue my schedule and just train him at night (no lifting for me) or do I start lifting with him at 8pm. If I do, I would need to move the cardio stuff around. Looking at the options and what others do and what their thoughts are. Thanks for the input.

I'm in a way different boat because my kids are young and i want to spend time with them when i get off work instead of being in the gym. If your son is interested in lifting, i would make the effort to work out with him. You know every kid wants to out do the old man on something so will motivate him and you two can have fun together. I know people that have had luck with doing "IF' and doing their fasted cardio during the lunch hour then going back to lift later after a couple meals. This may allow you to sleep in a bit more and still break up the work day.
                        6/22/13 - 2013 NPC VICTORY CLASSIC
                        1st - Novice Men's Lightheavy & Novice overall

Comment

FIVE hours! Why?
                          2 hours to lift, 3 hours for me to fall asleep after.

Comment

Option e

Early morning pump session for a body part using giant sets etc, higher volume with maybe 5-10 mins HIT if needed

8pm heavy ass weights

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
                            nabba north 2010 first timers - 6th place

Comment

2 hours to lift, 3 hours for me to fall asleep after.
                              Everyone is different. I am so tired after morning cardio and full work day that I pass out no problem after training at night.

Comment

Working...
                              X