Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now this is goddamn INTENSE

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2toTXg9BWyI[/YOUTUBE]

My definition of "intensity" has changed after I've seen this video.

It's Bertil Fox benching, here's what's going on:

Heavy Weight + Touch and Go + continuous drop set + rest pause of sorts (cluster set maybe ?) + partials.

I count what seems to be at least 3 45's per side, then a bunch of 25's or 35's maybe, so that's pretty heavy

This is goddamn mind blowing. We definetly don't see this kind of lifting nowadays. Sure it isn't scientifically backed up or empirically tested; it's not "safe" by any means, nor there's any perfect form going on.. no "sane" lifter of today would risk training like this or approve it... but then again, not much guys walking around with the same level of development as Bertil did back then, so it's possible a page can be taken from this. Going crazy in the gym and being a little creative with intensity techniques might pay off after all.

I think back to what DC been pretty much preaching all these years, nothing beats intensity.

Hope it motivates you all
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 0001Delta; 05-27-2014, 11:07 AM. Reason: Forgot video link
    "If you're ready to do DC, you're not gonna give a flying f*(k about fatigue from the previous exercise. You get under the bar and kill it, each and every time." - homonunculus

"Nothing better than coming to IM and seeing a Wall of Text next to that big Tricep pic." - Lonnie123

“Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.” - Homer

The scale doesn't show a number. When he steps on it, it simply reads: Big Mother Fucker. - Skip

Looks like he starts off with 2x45 plus 4 x 35 on each side:

225lb + 280 = 505 single and then drops from there. Bertil was a strong moro.

FWIW, doing isokinetic training: you push maximally continuously rep by rep, is the same sort of thing.

--------------

Did these with John M (3rd exercise of the day, I think; after several sets working up, we did both legs, of course) 3-4 weeks ago. Same sort of deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=I1Ee3M6SDgQ

[YOUTUBE]I1Ee3M6SDgQ[/YOUTUBE]

-S
    The Book Has Arrived!
    The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
    2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
    2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

Originally posted by homonunculus View Post

Did these with John M (3rd exercise of the day, I think; after several sets working up, we did both legs, of course) 3-4 weeks ago. Same sort of deal.

-S
      After I saw John post this I decided I was going to do them as my finisher on leg day... I think my vastus medialis was about to explode after these. I had to crash on a bench afterwards before dragging my ass to my car. Upon trying to get out of my my legs gave out and I caught myself on my car door. The technique on those is just brutal
      Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
      2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
      2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
        After I saw John post this I decided I was going to do them as my finisher on leg day... I think my vastus medialis was about to explode after these. I had to crash on a bench afterwards before dragging my ass to my car. Upon trying to get out of my my legs gave out and I caught myself on my car door. The technique on those is just brutal
        Good stuff, eh?... (We did a widow maker style set on the hack squat after that, followed by some high rep knee extensions.... That was pump / light day in John's program... LOL )

-S
        The Book Has Arrived!
        The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

Comment

Looks like he starts off with 2x45 plus 4 x 35 on each side:

225lb + 280 = 505 single and then drops from there. Bertil was a strong moro.

FWIW, doing isokinetic training: you push maximally continuously rep by rep, is the same sort of thing.

--------------

-S

So basically reaching a point of failure/presumed point of failure and reducing the weight to prolong the time under tension ? Can't help but think it shares similarity with the compensatory acceleration principle: Pushing the weight maximally each rep.

JM's teardrop development is mindblowing in that vid, holy shit. Is he doing an isometric hold there before dropping each dumbbell or just catching his breath ?
          Hopefully I can get my leg 100% again one day (still nursing the quad damage from the femur surgery) and having it look like that lol.
          Last edited by 0001Delta; 05-27-2014, 12:25 PM.
          "If you're ready to do DC, you're not gonna give a flying f*(k about fatigue from the previous exercise. You get under the bar and kill it, each and every time." - homonunculus

"Nothing better than coming to IM and seeing a Wall of Text next to that big Tricep pic." - Lonnie123

“Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.” - Homer

The scale doesn't show a number. When he steps on it, it simply reads: Big Mother Fucker. - Skip

Comment

Good stuff, eh?... (We did a widow maker style set on the hack squat after that, followed by some high rep knee extensions.... That was pump / light day in John's program... LOL )

-S
            I did a WM style hack sissy squat (like John did with Tom Platz) before this lol... But I left out the knee extensions. I'm definitely slacking
            Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
            2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
            2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Sorry Bret Contreas...looks like Bertil Fox beat you to inventing the Hip Thrust (watch vid and look at his pelvis as the bars about to touch his chest).

I can confidently admit I am a big girls blouse and couldnt do half the things Mental/Scott/John etc do.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Fox probably should've won the '83 Olympia. It's a shame about his double murder conviction. There's no way of knowing what really happened.

Comment

Originally posted by 0001Delta View Post
                  So basically reaching a point of failure/presumed point of failure and reducing the weight to prolong the time under tension ? Can't help but think it shares similarity with the compensatory acceleration principle: Pushing the weight maximally each rep.
                  Well, not all of those sets were to failure, but with the isometric there's not much left in the tank and it definitely increases TUT.

Compensatory Acceleration is about max effort on each rep and we were doing that, so I'm not sure how this is similar, but both technique are "intensification" techniques, for sure.

JM's teardrop development is mindblowing in that vid, holy shit. Is he doing an isometric hold there before dropping each dumbbell or just catching his breath ?
                  LOL - I'll let me know it looked like he might have been just catching his breath...

Hopefully I can get my leg 100% again one day (still nursing the quad damage from the femur surgery) and having it look like that lol.
                  Where there's a will....

Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
                  I did a WM style hack sissy squat (like John did with Tom Platz) before this lol... But I left out the knee extensions. I'm definitely slacking
                  SLACKER!!!

Actually, we did these unilateral hamstring / glute isometric bridges before that that were probably tougher than the WM style set, summing them all together... LOL

There were a lot of pics and vid's taken and an interview afterwards with Dave Tate, John and me, so maybe that'll be out in a bit on elitefts.

-S
                  The Book Has Arrived!
                  The Book Has Arrived!

www.TrueNutrition.com

Comment

Well, not all of those sets were to failure, but with the isometric there's not much left in the tank and it definitely increases TUT.

Compensatory Acceleration is about max effort on each rep and we were doing that, so I'm not sure how this is similar, but both technique are "intensification" techniques, for sure.
                    Josh Bryant's concept of Conc. Acceleration (basically the concept I'm using, he's the only trainer whose methods I've been reading about lately), is basically the same of what you told. Moving the weight maximally each rep (which equals effort right?) But maybe I'm mixing stuff up.

Had definetly not taken into account the isometrics.[/QUOTE]

Where there's a will....
                    There's definetly will and definetly a way ,A lot of butchery happened on my quad to get to the bone. Horrible work, I had first thought I had been a simple procedure. But slowly getting there, leg extensions and have been my friends these past months and almost squatting comfortably once again.

Actually, we did these unilateral hamstring / glute isometric bridges before that that were probably tougher than the WM style set, summing them all together... LOL

There were a lot of pics and vid's taken and an interview afterwards with Dave Tate, John and me, so maybe that'll be out in a bit on elitefts.

-S
                    Was the cattle prod present ?
                    Last edited by 0001Delta; 05-27-2014, 10:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 0001Delta View Post
                      Josh Bryant's concept of Conc. Acceleration (basically the concept I'm using, he's the only trainer whose methods I've been reading about lately), is basically the same of what you told. Moving the weight maximally each rep (which equals effort right?) But maybe I'm mixing stuff up.
                      YEah, I guess I'm not seeing why that rep by rep effort reminds you of doing a drop set where the reps are normal until the isometric hold.

There's definetly will and definetly a way ,A lot of butchery happened on my quad to get to the bone. Horrible work, I had first thought I had been a simple procedure. But slowly getting there, leg extensions and have been my friends these past months and almost squatting comfortably once again.
                      Right on, man. Glad to hear that.

Was the cattle prod present ?
                      It was, but it did not make it's way out.

-S
                      The Book Has Arrived!
                      The Book Has Arrived!

www.TrueNutrition.com

Comment

I am not drawing a parallel between that and CAT work as explained by Josh Bryant. The idea with CAT is to accelerate the weight as fast as possible through the entire range of motion.

Comment

Forget about the fuzz I made about CAT work guys, tried to overthink stuff that isn't linked in anyway

Comment

Make things as*simple*as possible,*but not simpler.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Working...
                            X