Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Auto-Immune Disease, Corticosteroids & training?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto-Immune Disease, Corticosteroids & training?

Hi everyone,

Just looking for some thoughts on the title above as I have been diagnosed with Lichen Planus (auto immune disease) and prescribed a further course of Corticosteroids (prednisolone) to last for the next two months.

Taken from medical pages - Corticosteroids are a class of chemicals that include steroid hormones naturally produced in the adrenal cortex of vertebrates and analogues of these hormones that are synthesized in laboratories. Corticosteroids are involved in a wide range of physiological processes, including stress response, immune response, and regulation of inflammation, carbohydrate metabolism, protein catabolism, blood electrolyte levels, and behavior.

I trained through the last course ( very low dose) however struggled to add any mass and only very slowly increased strength. This will now be a higher dose as I thought it had regressed however after a couple of months has returned.

The question is - would it be better to try to maintain strength 1-2 times weekly? putting a lot less stress on my immune system or just dial back the intensity a little/lot (training DC two way previously).
    I know I need to give my body the best chance of fighting the process but catch 22, I don`t want to get weaker and weaker as I may not be able to come off the prednisolone for 2-3 months.

thoughts? anybody had any experience of training whilst on corticosteroids?

Mark

I had ulcerative collitis before my colon was removed, now I still deal with the auto immune disease part of it. There is a fine line between volume and intensity you can walk without going over. I've gone a little over and way over from getting sick after a heavy squat day to rhabdomyolysis from competing in powerlifting gear. I recently went 600-350-575 in a powerlifting meet and had no ill effects. so train hard, train smart, and keep your diet on point

Comment

Great advice and thanks for taking the time to respond!
      I presume you were prescribed medication for the auto immune part?
      If you don't mind me asking what effects did you feel generally and also when and if you were training?
      I really struggled to sleep which may have been why I struggled with the training, definitely found it easier to eat more though.

Comment

There really are no meds for auto.immune disease. You're body always thinks there is something to fight off.

Comment

Working...
        X