Protein supplement intake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protein supplement intake

I am seeing the price of whey protein steadily rising and it caused me to wonder about protein supplements in general. There is whey protein as well as egg protein and beef protein. Now, I make food my foremost goal in nutrition. If I find myself reaching for a protein powder I stop and use food first but if I don't have protein available then I do a protein shake.

Do any lifters, here, use anything other then whey protein powder? Such as egg protein or maybe even a mix of egg and whey or something else? I have thought about looking for a egg based protein or maybe a mix of whey and egg based protein. Even thought about doing the beef protein but I am wonder about the best money for the product as well as the biodigestion ( is that the word?) the % that the body is able to use vs. not use.

I was at Vitamin shoppe getting a small tub of O.N. Pro Complex and noticed that the weight dropped below 2lbs (it used to be 2.2lbs) and the price stayed the same. This got my wheels turning a bit. I buy this because my wife loves it and she can only use a whey isolate because her body doesn't like anything else.

Team Skip all the way. Most practical thing there. I've shopped around and it just couldn't be beat.

Comment

Whey Isolate for me as I've had the best digestion and mixability with it. I get the cold-filtered variation from TN because it's the cheapest. Protein supplements with various sources never agreed with my stomach. Pro Complex was actually the hardest in that respect*. Gaspari's Myofusion tasted amazing when it first came out, but still didn't agree with me. Team Skip blend was really good in terms of taste and digestion. I've seen people post having explosive results with beef protein when sitting on the throne. I would also imagine a strictly egg protein would have you stinking up the place. Just my 2 cents.

*It was years ago when I used it. Maybe the formula changed?

Comment

How does egg protein compare though? I see that Team Skip has some egg protein it as well. Why has egg protein not been a big seller in a powder especially since the body uses most of it with nothing to waste? Taste? Educate me on this please.

Comment

I make my custom blend with 50% gemma pea protein because it's been one of the cheapest options, and has a comparable AA profile to whey. That brings the cost down some, and from there you can add whatever you want for the other 50%. I usually use whey, and have noticed no change in my results comparing to when I did 100% whey.
          2014 Greater Gulf States 2nd WPD Class B
          2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW
          2009 Houston Pro/Am 1st LHW & Overall (Am)
          2008 Jr. Nationals 5th LHW
          2007 Greater Gulf States 1st LHW
          2007 LA Championships 1st LHW & Overall

Comment

Originally posted by phoenix13 View Post
            I make my custom blend with 50% gemma pea protein because it's been one of the cheapest options, and has a comparable AA profile to whey. That brings the cost down some, and from there you can add whatever you want for the other 50%. I usually use whey, and have noticed no change in my results comparing to when I did 100% whey.

Oh I'm gonna have to try this next!
            #docswholift
            PGY-1 FM
            "No idea is above scrutiny and no people are beneath dignity." -Maajid Nawaz

Comment

Originally posted by DEADn View Post
              How does egg protein compare though? I see that Team Skip has some egg protein it as well. Why has egg protein not been a big seller in a powder especially since the body uses most of it with nothing to waste? Taste? Educate me on this please.
              Team Skip has different types of protein so I would guess you have different absorbtion rates.

I got a good deal on some ON whey a while ago so post workout I mix the 2. 30g ON whey, 40g TS

Any other shakes (usually 1) I use throughout the day are all TS. Have no problem using TS all the time but the ON was too good of a deal to pass on.

Comment

Originally posted by dice77 View Post
                Team Skip has different types of protein so I would guess you have different absorbtion rates.

I got a good deal on some ON whey a while ago so post workout I mix the 2. 30g ON whey, 40g TS

Any other shakes (usually 1) I use throughout the day are all TS. Have no problem using TS all the time but the ON was too good of a deal to pass on.
                ON is always a good choice. I have used Pro Complex most of the time because my wife loves it plus it is total isolate. Yet, when I bought the latest container I found the price stayed the same but the lbs dropped by .5lbs. It caused me to rethink my buying on it and letting her use it solely while I consume another one that might be better for me or at least more inexpensive and I can maybe experiment more. She is picky about what she consumes as far as protein powder. I am as picky. Just get it in me.

Comment

Originally posted by phoenix13 View Post
                  How's the taste and texture these days with that gemma?

I remember a few years back Dante tossed in a pound of gemma (thanks Dante!) with every order to try it out; STRAIGHT UP CHALK.

I wonder if they figured out the flavor and texture system yet.
                  Max Muscle
                  5020 Katella Ave.
                  Los Alamitos, CA 90720
                  www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

Comment

Originally posted by theroymccoy View Post
                    How's the taste and texture these days with that gemma?

I remember a few years back Dante tossed in a pound of gemma (thanks Dante!) with every order to try it out; STRAIGHT UP CHALK.

I wonder if they figured out the flavor and texture system yet.
                    With the 50/50 blend, I've had no issue with taste or texture. It's not thick and porridge-like as when it's 100% gemma...but I didn't mind straight gemma either, so take that with a grain of salt.
                    2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW

Comment

Phoenix, do you have any digestive issues with other proteins? I tend to have issues with lower quality whey proteins and was curious if the same would occur with Gemma. Anyone else?
                      1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
                      2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
                      2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
                      2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
                      2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
                      2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

Truenutrition.com
                      Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Originally posted by Doberman View Post
                        Phoenix, do you have any digestive issues with other proteins? I tend to have issues with lower quality whey proteins and was curious if the same would occur with Gemma. Anyone else?
                        Dobe, I have no digestive issues with any proteins.
                        2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW

Comment

With my new job basicslly being an hour straight shift with no real break to eat I will be using protein more then I'd like. For this purpose I will use a blend, mainly because casein alone taste like crap and I'd like a longer acting protein(if that even matters). for price I always look on BB.com, either myofusion and phase 8 are usually buy 1 get 1 half off, so I stock up.

Comment

Originally posted by MachMood View Post
                            With my new job basicslly being an hour straight shift with no real break to eat I will be using protein more then I'd like. For this purpose I will use a blend, mainly because casein alone taste like crap and I'd like a longer acting protein(if that even matters). for price I always look on BB.com, either myofusion and phase 8 are usually buy 1 get 1 half off, so I stock up.
                            I must be able to adapt to thing because the caesin I have is not bad. I used a shaker once and it kept a foam head on it. Annoying. So, I mixed it with a spoon and it mixes easier but after a few minutes of mixing. The taste is ok to me but I find that it doesn't last long. I find myself hungry after 3 hours.

I usually find myself on supplement central, dpsnutrition or I go to Vitamin shoppe and get it.

Never heard of phase 8.

I want to look for something more affordable and let my wife have the Pro Complex because that is expensive and I end up using it more than she does.

Comment

My second choice is vitaminn shoppe. With a member card you'll get a 20% off coupon Atleast 7-10 times a year, and at the end of the year they giveYou store credit depending how much you spent for the year. Last year I got 50$ back. Also they usually have the cheapest prices and free shipping

Comment

Working...
                              X