Rustproofing the Iron Warrior...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rustproofing the Iron Warrior...

Given this growing thread (http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=49587), if figured I'd post this article up for you guys.

(It's fresh off the presses, I just didn't post it up - pretty busy these days...)

http://articles.elitefts.com/trainin...-iron-warrior/

-S
    The Book Has Arrived!
    The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
    2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
    2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Top article Dr
    "Be gentle in what you do, firm in how you do it."
    Buck Brannaman.

"It is the certainty of punishment that deters crime, not the severity of it."
    'Hanging' Judge PARKER

"Nothing is so powerful as an insight into human nature... what compulsions drive a man, what instincts dominate his action... if you know these things about a man you can touch him at the core of his being."
    ~William Bernbach

Comment

Thanks for the article, good stuff. The guys who write the x-rep articles and blogs for ironman magazine have been promoting some of these techniques for a while. Both of those guys are 40 plus years old, They try a lot of different workouts and report their results. Along with this site, I check out their stuff several times a week.

Comment

Originally posted by SAHD View Post
        Top article Dr
        Thanks, Bud!

Originally posted by tradinglife View Post
        Thanks for the article, good stuff. The guys who write the x-rep articles and blogs for ironman magazine have been promoting some of these techniques for a while. Both of those guys are 40 plus years old, They try a lot of different workouts and report their results. Along with this site, I check out their stuff several times a week.
        Just went to the site. Will have to check that out. (Didn't even know that one was out there, but I do remember Jonathan as a kind of Ironman poster boy years ago... I don't mean that disparagingly, but it seemed like he was always part of some case study even decades ago.)

-S
        The Book Has Arrived!
        The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

Comment

Nice article Scott!

I was expecting a little talk about kwan loong oil
          Max Muscle
          5020 Katella Ave.
          Los Alamitos, CA 90720
          www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

Comment

Thanks
            "SET NO LIMITS"

"When the knees hurt you just wrap tighter."-Skip

2015 NPC Supplement Express:
            2014 NPC Sun City Regional:
            2013 NPC Sun City Classic:
            2010 NPC Virginia Grand Prix:
            2002 NPC Western Carolina:
            2002 NPC North Carolina State:

Use Discount Code MMH353..

Comment

Good info in there. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Any update on the Book/training regime? It would end the cut and paste I have to do on your posts.
                "Be gentle in what you do, firm in how you do it."
                Buck Brannaman.

"It is the certainty of punishment that deters crime, not the severity of it."
                'Hanging' Judge PARKER

"Nothing is so powerful as an insight into human nature... what compulsions drive a man, what instincts dominate his action... if you know these things about a man you can touch him at the core of his being."
                ~William Bernbach

Comment

The techniques Scott mentioned are also excellent if you're working around injuries. I have a messed up knee at the moment that prevents me from using heavy weights on leg movements, so today I used a few of the things he mentioned and they worked wonderfully.
                  Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
                  kind of a douche

Comment

Originally posted by theroymccoy View Post
                    Nice article Scott!

I was expecting a little talk about kwan loong oil
                    It was in there. (Is that a good product?... )

Originally posted by v1hyp View Post
                    Thanks
                    De nada.

Originally posted by 46er View Post
                    Good info in there. Thanks for sharing.

You're welcome!

Originally posted by SAHD View Post
                    Any update on the Book/training regime? It would end the cut and paste I have to do on your posts.

The book is sold out and there are no plans for another publishing run. You snooze, you lose...

For all those reading, it will in no way be a secret. My guess and hope is that if you happen to have a thought, "Hmm, I wonder if Scott's book it out?" and it indeed it available, it will take about 3 seconds of googling to get it.

I made the mistake of underestimating how long it would take me, but am not going to make the mistake (as I have seen others do) of providing regular updates, etc. It seriously just slows things down.

I really do my best to respond to all those who ask, and the more updates, the more asking (exponentially from what I've seen and another person I know who wrote a book of the same sort). This appeases the immediate need to have an update, but just slows me down.

FYI, one reason it's taking me so long is because I'm trying to answer all of the questions that I'm sure will be coming... in the book. This will allow me to simply note the page / section. And, I'm pretty certain this will indeed happen. It's super nice to be able to have so a few key articles online at eliteFTS. I regularly send links to folks to answer their questions, which 1.) saves me time, but 2.) most importantly, gives them a much better answer than i would just banging away off the top of my head on my keyboard.

Originally posted by Sammich View Post
                    The techniques Scott mentioned are also excellent if you're working around injuries. I have a messed up knee at the moment that prevents me from using heavy weights on leg movements, so today I used a few of the things he mentioned and they worked wonderfully.
                    I'd love to hear what you did, Sammy, if you're willing to share.

-S
                    Last edited by homonunculus; 03-30-2014, 10:05 PM.
                    The Book Has Arrived!
                    The Book Has Arrived!

www.TrueNutrition.com

Comment

Originally posted by homonunculus View Post
                      I'd love to hear what you did, Sammy, if you're willing to share.

-S
                      Today specifically, I used the "cluster" method on quads. I can't go heavy at all, so I worked up on the leg press in sets of 20 with very slow negatives. The I took a weight just on the borderline of "heavy" and did sets of 10 with 10 seconds rest between them. Worked like a charm; I haven't felt my quads get worked like that since my last happy release massage.

I also did "cluster" stuff on back work yesterday, and I love it. I feel like I'm getting more stimulation than just regular sets, but without pounding my CNS into the dirt like rest-pausing does to me. I can also keep my form much tighter since I'm not pushing so hard towards failure (until the last set). :washing:
                      Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
                      kind of a douche

Comment

Originally posted by Sammich View Post
                        Today specifically, I used the "cluster" method on quads. I can't go heavy at all, so I worked up on the leg press in sets of 20 with very slow negatives. The I took a weight just on the borderline of "heavy" and did sets of 10 with 10 seconds rest between them. Worked like a charm; I haven't felt my quads get worked like that since my last happy release massage.
                        Me love you long time.

I also did "cluster" stuff on back work yesterday, and I love it. I feel like I'm getting more stimulation than just regular sets, but without pounding my CNS into the dirt like rest-pausing does to me. I can also keep my form much tighter since I'm not pushing so hard towards failure (until the last set). :washing:
                        AWESOME - That is exactly what I like to hear about them.

Thanks. man.

-S
                        The Book Has Arrived!
                        The Book Has Arrived!

www.TrueNutrition.com

Comment

Scott , what are your thoughts on GVT? Essentially 10 sets of 10 with 60-90 seconds between each set and using a weight where you hit failure on the last set. Although not cluster sets the stimulus seems very similar

Comment

Originally posted by MachMood View Post
                            Scott , what are your thoughts on GVT? Essentially 10 sets of 10 with 60-90 seconds between each set and using a weight where you hit failure on the last set. Although not cluster sets the stimulus seems very similar
                            MM,

I would not say the stimulus is very similar at all, actually, although I guess you could call a single 10 x 10 with 1:00 rest a cluster set, it's not really. (Cluster sets typically have much shorter rest intervals. Mentzer's original rest pause was moreso a cluster set, for instance.)

-S
                            The Book Has Arrived!
                            The Book Has Arrived!

www.TrueNutrition.com

Comment

How does one learn more of these Cluster Sets you speak of?

Comment

Working...
                              X