To Train or Not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Train or Not?

There has been many times I walked through the front doors of a gym, started warming up and just didn't feel it that day. My question to you guys is would you push through it or pack up and go home?

If I was not 110% ready, didn't feel it or my mind was another place I would walk my ass right out the front door and start over the next day.

I would train...
    SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

It depends

1) if whilst warming up you mean on the actual lifts...how did you warm up prior to the lift? Any mobility/soft tissue/dynamic work?
      If you havent properly warmed up before doing the lifts then its not suprising people are feeling like shit.

2) If you have warmed up properly and then move to the warming up with say the deadlift and the warm ups feels heavy, then you probably should leave and fight another day.

For me, I look out for - carrying the 20kg plates..if carrying one in each hand is really tiring, i will warm up on X lift and see how I feel, then leave or stay if im good.
      During a lift, if my mind is elsewhere, I leave no matter what.
      If its hard to do 8-12 chins/pushups, I leave.

I often speak to people that go to both ends of the spectrum

1-left gym because they felt tired, but were smashing warm ups and the top sets with ease.
      2-Ploughed on like a trooper even though during warm up on lifts , it was hard and form was shit...they didnt want to feel like a bitch and leave.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Fact of the matter is...if you only trained at 100% then youd train 5-10times a year.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

Comment

I try to mentally prepare myself WAY before I get there.

Some of my best workouts have come on days I didn't feel like being there at first.

I sometimes tell my wife, "I am going to the gym because I don't feel like it and that is why I know I need to be there."

Comment

once i am at the gym it get through it even if I dont feel it...you already wasted precious time and energy to get to the gym...especially if yoiu have to drive far to get there or be in traffic

Comment

I would train
              '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
              17 AAU Super Total
              '16-AAU Hi
              '15-USPA Metro
              '15-USPA State
              '15-AAU HI
              '14-AAU HI
              '14-USPA Metro
              '14-WABDL Sonny's
              '14-USPA State
              '14-HI Strongman
              '13-USPA
              '13-WABDL Sonny's
              '13-USPA State
              '13-AAU HI
              '11-USPA Metro
              '10-NPC Stingrey
              '09-NPC Islands
              '09-NPC Stingrey
              '09-ABA Islands
              '02-ABA Islands
              '02-ABA IronWorks
              '01-NPC Paradise Cup
              '01-ABA Olympia
              '01-ABA Islands
              '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
              '00-INBF Musclefest
              '98-NGA Ill
              '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

I think I'm in the boat of "I would train".
                That being said, I evaluate what exactly is going on with me, that "I'm not feeling it".
                If its something that will be alleviated by either a)warming up longer b)altering exercises to feel better (whether its for sore joints, or muscle stimulation) c)unfucking myself mentally....You best believe I'm going to do my best.
                Now if its something like a migraine, or something out of my power to control, I'll probably regroup and either skip this day, or come back tomorrow an redo this session.
                I really don't remember who said it, and I'm going to butcher and paraphrase it...."If I only trained when I felt good, I wouldn't have trained much..."
                - HSF

Comment

Originally posted by dice77 View Post

Some of my best workouts have come on days I didn't feel like being there at first.

."
                  This^^^^^^
                  SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

Originally posted by dice77 View Post

I agree.
                    -KidRok-
                    "...because I won't accept that I can't."

www.https://Truenutrition.com/
                    5% OFF with Discount Code "FXL222"

https://www.facebook.com/hopsfitnessxl

Comment

As mentioned above, I evaluate why I'm not feeling it. If it's mental, I train. If it's physical, I determine if I genuinely need a day off or if I can have a productive workout without digging a hole. I can usually tell while warming up if it will be more productive to train or rest. I look at the big picture, and go from there, ideally.
                      2014 Greater Gulf States 2nd WPD Class B
                      2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW
                      2009 Houston Pro/Am 1st LHW & Overall (Am)
                      2008 Jr. Nationals 5th LHW
                      2007 Greater Gulf States 1st LHW
                      2007 LA Championships 1st LHW & Overall

Comment

Same as Dice77, LG1 and Kidrok. Best workouts ever have been on days I didn't feel right at the beginning.
                        "Be gentle in what you do, firm in how you do it."
                        Buck Brannaman.

"It is the certainty of punishment that deters crime, not the severity of it."
                        'Hanging' Judge PARKER

"Nothing is so powerful as an insight into human nature... what compulsions drive a man, what instincts dominate his action... if you know these things about a man you can touch him at the core of his being."
                        ~William Bernbach

Comment

Is anything is life ever perfect or ideal? Some days you feel like you got hit by a truck... you get your shit together and kill it. Don't question yourself, just F*cking do it.

You know what needs to be done to get where you want to be, so get it done, whether it is an ideal day or not...just f*cking do it.
                          Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
                          2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
                          2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

I would train. I only have so much time alloted to me from my leader(wife) and kids. so if I skip this workout I am not gaining it somewhere else. Also like many have said yes we have shit workouts if I feel like its going bad I hit the intra workout drink or grab a snickers. Now if its contest prep half my workouts are below awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
                              Is anything is life ever perfect or ideal? Some days you feel like you got hit by a truck... you get your shit together and kill it. Don't question yourself, just F*cking do it.

You know what needs to be done to get where you want to be, so get it done, whether it is an ideal day or not...just f*cking do it.
                              THIS^^^^^ :rockon:

Stew
                              Some people are so afraid of dying they never actually start living.

Comment

Working...
                              X