Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protein intake and cancer risk - study

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...e-aged-people/

Article above cites a 20 year study that was released, which claims that people who eat diets high in protein during middle age are much more likely to develop cancer within their lifetimes. I think they equate the rise in risk to smoking 20 cigarettes a day. They are saying that .8 grams per day per kilogram is the appropriate amount of protein intake. That is about 50g for an 180lb male.

Has anyone head about these types of studies before, what do you think, and can we find the actual study? I had no success with Google.

Day late and dollar short brah... http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=49572

I posted the study and provided comments as to why I feel it the methodology in the study is poor... maybe check out some of the recent threads first to see if this wasn't posted?
    Last edited by mentalflex; 03-06-2014, 09:46 AM.
    Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
    2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
    2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Originally posted by fopso View Post
      http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...e-aged-people/

Article above cites a 20 year study that was released, which claims that people who eat diets high in protein during middle age are much more likely to develop cancer within their lifetimes. I think they equate the rise in risk to smoking 20 cigarettes a day. They are saying that .8 grams per day per kilogram is the appropriate amount of protein intake. That is about 50g for an 180lb male.

Has anyone head about these types of studies before, what do you think, and can we find the actual study? I had no success with Google.
      bunk!
      SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

we are all gonna die
        2014 Greater Gulf States 2nd WPD Class B
        2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW
        2009 Houston Pro/Am 1st LHW & Overall (Am)
        2008 Jr. Nationals 5th LHW
        2007 Greater Gulf States 1st LHW
        2007 LA Championships 1st LHW & Overall

Comment

Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
          Day late and dollar short brah... http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=49572

I posted the study and provided comments as to why I feel it the methodology in the study is poor... maybe check out some of the recent threads first to see if this wasn't posted?
          1) your thread was mostly a long-lost-friend's reunion online.

2) I am not sure that you read the study. For one, they say that the average participant consumed 1823 calories, 33% of which came from fat. This equates to 67 grams of fat per day, which is not excessive. They did split people into a high, medium, and low protein group, and I did not see how much fat the high protein group took in. However, on page 2 of the study, they cite that "None of these associations was significantly affected by controlling for percent calories from total fat or for percent calories from total carbohydrates". Regarding the diet journal, they say on page 8 that the 24 hour recall method is a good way to track diet. It appears that fat does not matter in the study, which is a key reason that you dismiss the argument.

3) thank you for linking to the study in the other post, I looked at some places here but not in Skip's blog. The title of his post was not descriptive so you can understand that I did not click through every post in the past week before posting here.

Just trying to start a conversation. If the study is bunk, that is fine I would like to better understand why that is. So far, all I have read is people saying it is bs without any real support.

Here is the study.
          Last edited by fopso; 03-06-2014, 10:34 AM.

Comment

1) your thread was mostly a long-lost-friend's reunion online.

2) I am not sure that you read the study. For one, they say that the average participant consumed 1823 calories, 33% of which came from fat. This equates to 67 grams of fat per day, which is not excessive. They did split people into a high, medium, and low protein group, and I did not see how much fat the high protein group took in. However, on page 2 of the study, they cite that "None of these associations was significantly affected by controlling for percent calories from total fat or for percent calories from total carbohydrates". Regarding the diet journal, they say on page 8 that the 24 hour recall method is a good way to track diet. It appears that fat does not matter in the study, which is a key reason that you dismiss the argument.

I mentioned type of food... In you opinion, would it matter if the fat came from greasy mickey D burgers or something like coconut oil? That was my point... also that it was self reported, which can be a major flaw.
            Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

24 hour recall or not. People will lie or completly mis-judge macros (unless they gave them exact meals and grams to have) but in that case people will still lie.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
                I mentioned type of food... In you opinion, would it matter if the fat came from greasy mickey D burgers or something like coconut oil? That was my point... also that it was self reported, which can be a major flaw.
                Sure, that makes sense. The type of fat does make a difference. I feel like it is still a big jump in cancer risk even with that piece of data missing. Just doesn't make sense to me the link between protein and cancer. I don't want there to be a link, and I hope there isn't, but I would like to learn more about it if there is some sort of link. Maybe the study is bs and like with all things there is leeway and people can make anything sound like it is bad. If that is the case, just hoping that someone on here who has looked into this stuff can help out. Sorry if I came across as confrontational, I get defensive very quickly.

Comment

Sure, that makes sense. The type of fat does make a difference. I feel like it is still a big jump in cancer risk even with that piece of data missing. Just doesn't make sense to me the link between protein and cancer. I don't want there to be a link, and I hope there isn't, but I would like to learn more about it if there is some sort of link. Maybe the study is bs and like with all things there is leeway and people can make anything sound like it is bad. If that is the case, just hoping that someone on here who has looked into this stuff can help out. Sorry if I came across as confrontational, I get defensive very quickly.
                  No prob man...it did come off a bit confrontational, but all is good.

I'm not calling the study BS, but I think there are some missing factors. I did not look into i enough detail to see if they precluded people with per-existing conditions (i think they did with diabetes) or looked through their medical history. What if some participants previous ate like complete shit and then just recently changed their diet?

IMO, the type of fat does matter... if one is eating heart healthy fats and properly balanced omega 3-6-9s I feel they are in a much healthier state than someone who consumes a diet high in processed foods loaded with saturated fats, which usually contain high amounts of inflammatory omega 6's

2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Hey fopso, sorry for my sarcasm. Knee jerk reaction. I have no science to add here, but

I do find the link between animal proteins in the diet, growth factors and risk of cancer interesting. This in particular caught my eye:

"The link between high-protein intake and risk of cancer almost vanished when the researchers considered participants whose protein mainly came from plants, such as beans."

I would still like to see what the overall diets/lifestyles consisted of, such as low grade meat/dairy (full of synthetic hormones) vs. organic, grass-fed, etc.
                    2014 Greater Gulf States 2nd WPD Class B
                    2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW
                    2009 Houston Pro/Am 1st LHW & Overall (Am)
                    2008 Jr. Nationals 5th LHW
                    2007 Greater Gulf States 1st LHW
                    2007 LA Championships 1st LHW & Overall

Comment

Ill toss my two cents in....

It is actually fairly well established in the literature that animal protein is linked with increased cancer rates. Animal protein. Not just protein in general, which is what a lot of people take away. Even whey and casein have been shown in studies to increase tumor growth (in rats). I believe that it is thought to be due to igf-1 in animal protein.

I recently read a few studies about lactoovovegetarian v omnivorous diets in older adults and the meat eaters had better responses to weight training. So there is still (and always will be) something to be said for a mixed/varied diet.

As far as eating 350 to 400 g protein a day. Do what you want, but that isn't necessary. Studies consistently show that more CHO and fats decreases protein requirements. Only a person in a caloric deficit will really need to increase protein. Probably about 1g/lbs is fine for someone who is not in a caloric deficit and who is an athlete.

Finally, cancer is often the net result of a multitude of factors. So what if you eat some animal protein? Do other things that are good for you. Eat fruits and vegetables. Don't eat processed foods (much more damaging than meat). Exercise. Live well.

I know people on a weight lifting board wont like the fact that animal protein is associated with increased rates of cancer. It is what it is. Sorry, but I wont be posting references to back up all or any of my statements so don't ask because my answer is: pubmed is your friend.

There is almost always evidence for both sides of a topic and no study is without flaws.

Comment

Did the professor running the study partly own/has shares in a company that sells plant based vegetarian aternative diet?!?!
                        SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

Originally posted by LG1 View Post
                          Did the professor running the study partly own/has shares in a company that sells plant based vegetarian aternative diet?!?!
                          Seriously? Man this reminds me of a time a guy i knew who was on juice asked me how he could convince his concerned gf who was in med school that he wouldnt get heart failure. I was like man why do you think it will make every muscle in your body bigger but not your heart? (Heart muscle gets bigger called ventricular hypertrophy =there is less volume in the ventricle for blood)

My point is don't try to make excuses to make everything conform to what you want. Accept it and move on.

Comment

I think it's fair we let the discussion go on in this thread since me and mental ruined the other one. lol

Somethings I'd like to see about his study:

- Analysis about what kind of animal protein was taken by each participant (was it venison ? cow ? fish ? chicken ? deli meat ? wild grown ? grass fed ? canned meat ? cheese ? processed cheese ? etc.)

- Chemical analysis of each meat animal protein source. ( contaminants, preservatives, radiation/mercury/heavy metals (fish); fat content and quality, etc.)

- How said animal protein was prepared ( rare/over-cooked; roasted; barbecued; raw, etc.)

It's easy to say animal protein causes cancer but we don't get to look at what animal protein is being consumed. Keep this in mind "animal protein" can be anything from wild caught turkey to heavly processed MRE.
                            "If you're ready to do DC, you're not gonna give a flying f*(k about fatigue from the previous exercise. You get under the bar and kill it, each and every time." - homonunculus

"Nothing better than coming to IM and seeing a Wall of Text next to that big Tricep pic." - Lonnie123

“Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.” - Homer

The scale doesn't show a number. When he steps on it, it simply reads: Big Mother Fucker. - Skip

Comment

Originally posted by Victory Kick View Post
                              Seriously? Man this reminds me of a time a guy i knew who was on juice asked me how he could convince his concerned gf who was in med school that he wouldnt get heart failure. I was like man why do you think it will make every muscle in your body bigger but not your heart? (Heart muscle gets bigger called ventricular hypertrophy =there is less volume in the ventricle for blood)

My point is don't try to make excuses to make everything conform to what you want. Accept it and move on.

If there is an agenda behind it; then it makes the study is biased; then it is relevant to the discussion. (The example you gave fits here as well)

If I owned a Licorice candy factory and I wanted to push to the public that Licorice candy helps fights diabetes, then went ahead and got a team of scientists to conduct a study that found some evidence of that, wouldn't this be relevant when I mass published the results ?
                              Last edited by 0001Delta; 03-06-2014, 02:47 PM.
                              "If you're ready to do DC, you're not gonna give a flying f*(k about fatigue from the previous exercise. You get under the bar and kill it, each and every time." - homonunculus

"Nothing better than coming to IM and seeing a Wall of Text next to that big Tricep pic." - Lonnie123

“Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.” - Homer

The scale doesn't show a number. When he steps on it, it simply reads: Big Mother Fucker. - Skip

Comment

Working...
                              X