No announcement yet.

Training everyday but still sedentary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training everyday but still sedentary?

I seem to keep coming across articles linking long durations of sitting through the day with various illnesses and problems etc, REGARDLESS of whether you exercise daily or not. In other words they are saying that even if you train balls to the wall in the gym for 1 hour everyday, this will not compensate for the fact that you have a desk job and are on your ass almost the rest of the whole day.

For me personally, I am the extreme opposite in that my job is overly physically demanding for me to perform in the gym optimally, but I am curious as to people who DO have sedentary jobs, what are your thoughts and experiences here?

In this day and age isn't it very rare for anyone not to have a sedentiary job? I mean if you're an Engineer most of your day is sitting, same for a Doctor, same for a Marketing Exec, same for a Scientist, etc....I'm just naming random jobs here, but unless you're a lumberjack or janitor or something, isn't everyone's job going to involve sitting down for most of the day?

Thanks

Originally posted by Skinnyrunt View Post
    I seem to keep coming across articles linking long durations of sitting through the day with various illnesses and problems etc, REGARDLESS of whether you exercise daily or not. In other words they are saying that even if you train balls to the wall in the gym for 1 hour everyday, this will not compensate for the fact that you have a desk job and are on your ass almost the rest of the whole day.

For me personally, I am the extreme opposite in that my job is overly physically demanding for me to perform in the gym optimally, but I am curious as to people who DO have sedentary jobs, what are your thoughts and experiences here?

In this day and age isn't it very rare for anyone not to have a sedentiary job? I mean if you're an Engineer most of your day is sitting, same for a Doctor, same for a Marketing Exec, same for a Scientist, etc....I'm just naming random jobs here, but unless you're a lumberjack or janitor or something, isn't everyone's job going to involve sitting down for most of the day?

Thanks
    I'm a structural engineer. Yep.....I sit all day long. I've been debating about getting one of those "standing" workstations.

I know one thing....getting leaned out is TOUGH nowadays. I need lower-than-normal calories and a minimum of 4-5 AM sessions of cardio to make progress. It's tough to make up for the 8-10 hours of sitting down.

Comment

Skinnyrunt, can you link any of the articles you've read regarding this?

I have a desk job, but I take every chance I get to move (go to file rooms, law library, conference room, neighboring offices for errands). I am intentionally inefficient (when time permits), such as I don't wait til I have a lot of filing to do, etc., but go often on purpose. Still, I am sitting a lot Monday-Friday during the day. I find it's forced recovery, which I'll take. I find it balances out. When I was in college/first out of college, I did more physically demanding odd jobs, which was like getting paid to exercise, but I had way more energy then. Personally, I'm thankful for the forced time to rest my body.
      Last edited by phoenix13; 02-20-2014, 02:34 PM. Reason: add inquiry
      2014 Greater Gulf States 2nd WPD Class B
      2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW
      2009 Houston Pro/Am 1st LHW & Overall (Am)
      2008 Jr. Nationals 5th LHW
      2007 Greater Gulf States 1st LHW
      2007 LA Championships 1st LHW & Overall

Comment

Originally posted by 5spotbullseye View Post
        I'm a structural engineer. Yep.....I sit all day long. I've been debating about getting one of those "standing" workstations.

I know one thing....getting leaned out is TOUGH nowadays. I need lower-than-normal calories and a minimum of 4-5 AM sessions of cardio to make progress. It's tough to make up for the 8-10 hours of sitting down.
        The best thing I ever did. Changed over to a standing desk. Talked my employer into because my hips and lower back were staying so tight from sitting all day that it was becoming an issue. Bought 2 oak tops from Ikea, some galvanized pipe and Kee Klamps so it could be adjustable, and then got a stool to lean back on when I need a break from standing. One thing you really need to invest in if you go that route is a good anti-fatigue mat to stand on. All in all i spent about $600.
        Save yourself 5% on all your TRUENUTRITION orders by using discount code MTM281

My Training Log Here at IM

"Success is neither magical nor mysterious. Success is the natural consequence of consistently applying the basic fundamentals." -Jim Rohn

Comment

Are these articles taking diet into account? I work a desk job and most of my coworkers eat fast food at least twice a day. Add that with minimal activity and I think you get the results you are referring to more than someone who eats clean and exercises.
          6/22/13 - 2013 NPC VICTORY CLASSIC
          1st - Novice Men's Lightheavy & Novice overall

Comment

There seems to be more emphasis put on these standing desks. But an interesting idea I've seen are these "treadmill stations" which basically are a treadmill with a laptop. I'm not sure how practical these would be for actual work productivity.

Originally posted by LKQSJH View Post
            Are these articles taking diet into account? I work a desk job and most of my coworkers eat fast food at least twice a day. Add that with minimal activity and I think you get the results you are referring to more than someone who eats clean and exercises.
            I haven't looked into the actual research / studies that the articles Ive been coming across refer to, but here's one of the many articles that DOES mention diet too
            http://www.runnersworld.com/health/p...-for-everybody

Comment

We have some standing work stations and I love them. I hate spending 4-8hrs straight sitting but standing and sitting mixed feels better and I am certainly feeling less fatigued regardless of other proven health benefits.
              "Be gentle in what you do, firm in how you do it."
              Buck Brannaman.

"It is the certainty of punishment that deters crime, not the severity of it."
              'Hanging' Judge PARKER

"Nothing is so powerful as an insight into human nature... what compulsions drive a man, what instincts dominate his action... if you know these things about a man you can touch him at the core of his being."
              ~William Bernbach

Comment

I sit on my ass all day... it is not fun. Being I work for the government, I can't jut get a standing desk. They won't do that kind of thing unless there is some pressing medical necessity. The worst part are the chairs. They are old and beat and not very forgiving on your back.

All that aside, I really don't have any problems staying lean... I would contend that these articles you are reading do not likely take into account other lifestyle factors or not to the extent that you can relate them to those who are in shape, train very hard and eat a healthy diet
                Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
                2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
                2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
                  I sit on my ass all day... it is not fun. Being I work for the government, I can't jut get a standing desk. They won't do that kind of thing unless there is some pressing medical necessity. The worst part are the chairs. They are old and beat and not very forgiving on your back.

All that aside, I really don't have any problems staying lean... I would contend that these articles you are reading do not likely take into account other lifestyle factors or not to the extent that you can relate them to those who are in shape, train very hard and eat a healthy diet
                  That's tough man - I remember when I was at university I obviously had to do a fair bit of sitting and I hated it.

But yeah I do question the accuracy of these articles' claims, because just look at pro athletes for example. Most of the time they are sitting down on the road during the season, either on a plane or bus or hotel room, despite the fact that they'll exercise everyday too having either a game or practice. Same with WWE wrestlers too for example, theyre on the road all the time despite training or performing at events too.

Comment

Sedentiary or not its still a case of calories in vs calories out!

In my 10 years in architecture where i would sit at a desk 8-10hours a day i would get fat very easily. Even though i am now in my 40s, i now have my own business and im alot more active on a daily basis and can now consume more calories and stay lean (and this is with less muscle mass than i used to hold also!)

Stew
                    Some people are so afraid of dying they never actually start living.

Comment

Medical student here, sitting on my ass all day. I walk, do situps, and clean my apartment in between lectures when I study and we do situps/planks at school. When I'm in clinic I'm pretty busy.

Let's see the article.
                      #docswholift
                      PGY-1 FM
                      "No idea is above scrutiny and no people are beneath dignity." -Maajid Nawaz

Comment

Originally posted by nexa View Post
                        Medical student here, sitting on my ass all day. I walk, do situps, and clean my apartment in between lectures when I study and we do situps/planks at school. When I'm in clinic I'm pretty busy.

Let's see the article.
                        Hey bud, I posted a link earlier in the thread but this one here pretty much sums up the argument
                        http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3419586/

If you do a quick google search, you'll see there's a fair few articles discussing this

Comment

Working...
                        X