• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you training (often) enough?...

http://articles.elitefts.com/trainin...aining-enough/

-S
    The Book Has Arrived!
    The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
    2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
    2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Nice article Scott...as usual. I have been looking for something new to shake things up a bit and break the monotony. I might try building a hypertrophy program based on some of the principals you outlined.

By the way, whats the scoop on the training protocol/system you have been working on recently? is it complete? If so, where can I check it out?

Comment

Another top article Mr S - thumbs up!!!
      Some people are so afraid of dying they never actually start living.

Comment

I absolutely loved this article! Mainly because I have been toying around with volume and frequency quite a bit to find the right mix and am working on bring up my hammies hitting them 4-5 times week... This is new so no news on results yet...

Scott, do you see any benefit to going between a high frequency program then back to reduced frequency with more volume per session? Say going from hitting each muscle group 3 times in 7 days versus 1 time every 5 days? Do you feel there is any benefit to using light loads taken to failure on one day and heavier loads taken to failure on other days or would one derive greater benefit (hypertrophy) from using heavier loads, say 80% of ones 1 rep max, taken to failure?
        Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
        2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
        2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Great article! I have my wife reading it now..
          Its not the size of the hammer, its the size of the man holding the hammer.

Comment

A few years back I did full body 3x/week with pretty good results. Thinking about doing it again.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jeffro View Post
              Nice article Scott...as usual. I have been looking for something new to shake things up a bit and break the monotony. I might try building a hypertrophy program based on some of the principals you outlined.

By the way, whats the scoop on the training protocol/system you have been working on recently? is it complete? If so, where can I check it out?
              I'm working' on it daily, but have a mother project (just as cool) that's slowing me down a bit. Right now I've got the main background text roughed drafted (500+ references, believe it or now, so there will be lots to explore).

I'm really sorry I couldn't get this thing out earlier, but you guys will understand when the other project comes out, too…

Originally posted by anabolic2k View Post
              Another top article Mr S - thumbs up!!!
              Thanks, man!!!

Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
              I absolutely loved this article! Mainly because I have been toying around with volume and frequency quite a bit to find the right mix and am working on bring up my hammies hitting them 4-5 times week... This is new so no news on results yet...

Scott, do you see any benefit to going between a high frequency program then back to reduced frequency with more volume per session? Say going from hitting each muscle group 3 times in 7 days versus 1 time every 5 days? Do you feel there is any benefit to using light loads taken to failure on one day and heavier loads taken to failure on other days or would one derive greater benefit (hypertrophy) from using heavier loads, say 80% of ones 1 rep max, taken to failure?
              Lots of questions there.

Well, there is no doubt that 1x / week training systems do work, so alternating (periodizing) that sort of approach with a higher volume approach certainly makes sense. There may very well be some other kinds of adaptations (perhaps something that explains some of the discrepancies between fiber size and whole muscle size in bodybuilders who train this way) that can be had as well.

I actually have about 30 pages spread throughout my book devoted to answering the question about high vs. light loads, but the short answer is that I think that using both forms of training makes sense because:

Both can elicit growth.
              The underlying molecular mechanisms (signaling molecules) seem to be different.
              You can do more work / train more overall when using heavy and light days, and still recover.
              There are psychological benefits to the variety, as well.

It's cool to lift big stuff but it's also cool to get big pumps.

Originally posted by thundergod View Post
              Great article! I have my wife reading it now..
              Let us know what the thundergoddess thinks!

Originally posted by Rictor33 View Post
              A few years back I did full body 3x/week with pretty good results. Thinking about doing it again.

Would love to see a journal on that.

-S
              The Book Has Arrived!
              The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

Comment

One of the best articles I have read in some time.

Comment

Originally posted by homonunculus View Post
                  I'm working' on it daily, but have a mother project (just as cool) that's slowing me down a bit. Right now I've got the main background text roughed drafted (500+ references, believe it or now, so there will be lots to explore).

I'm really sorry I couldn't get this thing out earlier, but you guys will understand when the other project comes out, too…

Lots of questions there.

Well, there is no doubt that 1x / week training systems do work, so alternating (periodizing) that sort of approach with a higher volume approach certainly makes sense. There may very well be some other kinds of adaptations (perhaps something that explains some of the discrepancies between fiber size and whole muscle size in bodybuilders who train this way) that can be had as well.

I actually have about 30 pages spread throughout my book devoted to answering the question about high vs. light loads, but the short answer is that I think that using both forms of training makes sense because:

Both can elicit growth.
                  You can do more work / train more overall when using heavy and light days, and still recover.

-S
                  More projects? Ooohhhhh :poking:

but lemme get my hands on that damn book already!
                  Last edited by mentalflex; 02-05-2014, 10:11 PM.
                  Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Scott
                    Appreciate the knowledge and info you share - thank you.
                    "This sport is about extremes - using weights you havent used previously, taking in amounts of food to build greater muscle mass-in amounts you never have done previously, & doing the cardio to keep you at an acceptable offseason training bodyfat that keeps you happy." Dante

For supplements, visit http://www.trueprotein.com & use this
                    DISCOUNT CODE - THA778
                    for a 5% Discount
                    :wavey:

Comment

This is a very interesting article. I started with the traditional 1x/week style most others did, but after 5-6 years of it I started looking for more efficient ways to get more "growth phases" per week. I did full body 3x week and had decent results on it. Theoretically, training each muscle 3x week (total volume adjusted for trainee experience level) should work well. I have also done DC 2-way, which I really liked. Was a bit hard on the joints though Either way, I really enjoy your articles Scott. With all the misinformation out there it is good to see someone like you writing quality articles.

Comment

Thanks, man!!!

Lots of questions there.

Both can elicit growth.

Let us know what the thundergoddess thinks!

Would love to see a journal on that.

-S
                        Just to be clear about taking lighter loads to failure then heavier loads to failure I assume your talking about rep ranges. What rep range would you consider to low for bodybuilding. 1Rm, 3rm, 5Rm? At what point do you think it gets to high? Also do you think every set should be taken to failure? After doing DC for so long I really struggle with not taking everything to failure, but obviously when u add volume something has to give

Comment

-S
                          This is the training employed by Kazamier. Not that it endorses it immediatly, just bear it in mind when panicking about if the intensity is correct in your training or if you should be doing something else.

I think saying good article goes without saying. My dictionary takes a beating too, which is fantastic too.

I would say that a lot of bodybuilders are too impatient and do not put enough time and effort into programs to elict any decent results. So they jump from pillar to post. There is also far too much emphasis on isolating every muscle rather than employing multi joint lifts first and isolation second. Most bodybuilding programming seems haphazard and has no reason too it other than, "more volume = more win..am I right!"

The important think is too pick something that has a reason behind it and a logical periodisation and then it is up to the individual to document what does or does not work. Problem is though that most people dont see training and aquiring mass and strength as a long term (20+ year goal) but a short term solution to some stupid body dismorphia. When it must be the former.
                          I have done the above..over analysed, program hopped and not used enough barbells. It is only when I made an effort to turn off the computer and fight myself to not read more stuff, further clogging up my brain, that I actually started getting somewhere. Not majoring in the minors, worrying about things like tempo and if your guns are being trained enough, when you cant even deadlift 500lbs..thats the start of the problem!

Clearly I am breaking new ground here and deserve some form of knighthood for my superior knowledge.

Well that went off topic. My god I talk shit sometimes.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2
                          Last edited by martin_h; 02-06-2014, 01:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by martin_h View Post
                            This is the training employed by Kazamier. Not that it endorses it immediatly, just bear it in mind when panicking about if the intensity is correct in your training or if you should be doing something else.

I think saying good article goes without saying. My dictionary takes a beating too, which is fantastic too.

I would say that a lot of bodybuilders are too impatient and do not put enough time and effort into programs to elict any decent results. So they jump from pillar to post. There is also far too much emphasis on isolating every muscle rather than employing multi joint lifts first and isolation second. Most bodybuilding programming seems haphazard and has no reason too it other than, "more volume = more win..am I right!"

The important think is too pick something that has a reason behind it and a logical periodisation and then it is up to the individual to document what does or does not work. Problem is though that most people dont see training and aquiring mass and strength as a long term (20+ year goal) but a short term solution to some stupid body dismorphia. When it must be the former.
                            I have done the above..over analysed, program hopped and not used enough barbells. It is only when I made an effort to turn off the computer and fight myself to not read more stuff, further clogging up my brain, that I actually started getting somewhere. Not majoring in the minors, worrying about things like tempo and if your guns are being trained enough, when you cant even deadlift 500lbs..thats the start of the problem!

Clearly I am breaking new ground here and deserve some form of knighthood for my superior knowledge.

I get a chubby from intelligent posts...

2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Originally posted by View 1 View Post
                              One of the best articles I have read in some time.
                              Glad you liked it!

More projects? Ooohhhhh :poking:

but lemme get my hands on that damn book already!
                              You're gonna want to get your hands on both of these projects.

Originally posted by BigDownUnder View Post
                              Scott
                              Appreciate the knowledge and info you share - thank you.
                              Thanks, Brother! Good to see you around!

Originally posted by Rictor33 View Post
                              This is a very interesting article. I started with the traditional 1x/week style most others did, but after 5-6 years of it I started looking for more efficient ways to get more "growth phases" per week. I did full body 3x week and had decent results on it. Theoretically, training each muscle 3x week (total volume adjusted for trainee experience level) should work well. I have also done DC 2-way, which I really liked. Was a bit hard on the joints though Either way, I really enjoy your articles Scott. With all the misinformation out there it is good to see someone like you writing quality articles.

Rictor - Gracias.

As mentioned in that article, a lot of people have done full body routines with success. They can be just so brutal, as well.

Originally posted by MachMood View Post
                              Just to be clear about taking lighter loads to failure then heavier loads to failure I assume your talking about rep ranges. What rep range would you consider to low for bodybuilding. 1Rm, 3rm, 5Rm? At what point do you think it gets to high? Also do you think every set should be taken to failure? After doing DC for so long I really struggle with not taking everything to failure, but obviously when u add volume something has to give
                              Well, loads dictate rep ranges, assuming you're bring sets to or nearly to failure.

Low for BB'ing would be anything below a 6 rep set to failure, IMO. For someone starting out, or someone who simply is lacking in general strength, I think there's good utility in that. Also, it's no secret that BB'ers who alter ate with powerlifting training cycles (compete in both) look pretty damn awesome in many cases.

OTOH, we've got the situations like that of Stan Efferding who found that his leg size improved (and strength decreased) when he went to a higher volume tradition BB'ing routine.

How those loads are used in training, given the amount of fatigue the person is creating, is important to. A 5 x 5, a 5,3, 1 system, or DC for that matter can take loads down that low, but that's not done when your heart's about to beat out of your chest.

You can do "sets" of 4-6 reps as part of a drop set, RP set, or a Muscle round, too of course.

So, I could got on, but I think that going below 6RM sets has its purpose, but is something that someone who's decently strong already should be careful with b/c of injury risk.

Originally posted by martin_h View Post

One thing that requires a mental adjustment with higher frequency training is recognizing that you'll be back at it on a given msucel group in a matter of 2--4 days. The drive (or compulsion) to decimate a muscle group in a given workout has to be tempered and replaced with a willingness to train the same muscle gropu HARD just a few days after you've already done so.

One version of my training system has folks training each muscle group 4x / week. You can't do that if you're doing 20 sets for each muscle group. (Well, you could, but it wouldn't be too productive…)

I get a chubby from intelligent posts...
                              I think you guy should take this to private chat.

-S
                              The Book Has Arrived!
                              The Book Has Arrived!

www.TrueNutrition.com

Comment

Working...
                              X