1 Year Post-Pec Tear - I'm still a bitch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 Year Post-Pec Tear - I'm still a bitch

Looking for some advice from the guys here that have dealt with some sort of torn muscle.

Here's the short history:

-Tendinitis in my chest connecting to my shoulder - pushed it too long and tore it while doing 531 flat bench (SURPRISE - but really my fault for ignoring it for so long).

- Let it recover and worked my way back up with 2.5lbs weights slowly but surely. 3 months later I was hitting Db Incline at 90lbs and had some sort of strain in the same area on my 8th or 9th rep.. Dropped the weight, and was really sore in that spot.

That was march of 2013. At this point in January 2014 I have not gone over 80lbs on my dumbbell pressing, or 225 on my bench pressing (and that was for something like a set of 5).

*What seems to happen and what starts to scare me: It seems like after the muscles fatigue, it finally recruits the muscles that I tore so long ago and they are very weak. Almost like they never truly built any strength back after I tore them and reinjured them so long ago. So I always stop early, never push anywhere near failure and really don't feel comfortable pushing heavy weight.

I've done ART for a few months on the area, I've foam rolled, lacrosse balled, etc - but in the end I still feel "weak" in that spot. I've done a variation of a dumbbell-flye into a press to be able to target that area a little better and cause some activation there, but it hasn't seemed to help too much.

I want to know everyone's thoughts - am I bitch and just need to go for it and push through even when I feel the muscles in that area being activated and weak? Or do I need to do some sort of rehab to actually bring the strength back up in that area?

Thanks guys --

Jared
    Owner of 316FIT and Team Skip Approved Trainer

Instagram: @jaredragsdale
    FB: www.fb.com/jared.ragsdale
    www.316fit.com
    Email: [email protected]

Originally posted by fade View Post
    Looking for some advice from the guys here that have dealt with some sort of torn muscle.

Here's the short history:

-Tendinitis in my chest connecting to my shoulder - pushed it too long and tore it while doing 531 flat bench (SURPRISE - but really my fault for ignoring it for so long).

- Let it recover and worked my way back up with 2.5lbs weights slowly but surely. 3 months later I was hitting Db Incline at 90lbs and had some sort of strain in the same area on my 8th or 9th rep.. Dropped the weight, and was really sore in that spot.

That was march of 2013. At this point in January 2014 I have not gone over 80lbs on my dumbbell pressing, or 225 on my bench pressing (and that was for something like a set of 5).

*What seems to happen and what starts to scare me: It seems like after the muscles fatigue, it finally recruits the muscles that I tore so long ago and they are very weak. Almost like they never truly built any strength back after I tore them and reinjured them so long ago. So I always stop early, never push anywhere near failure and really don't feel comfortable pushing heavy weight.

I've done ART for a few months on the area, I've foam rolled, lacrosse balled, etc - but in the end I still feel "weak" in that spot. I've done a variation of a dumbbell-flye into a press to be able to target that area a little better and cause some activation there, but it hasn't seemed to help too much.

I want to know everyone's thoughts - am I bitch and just need to go for it and push through even when I feel the muscles in that area being activated and weak? Or do I need to do some sort of rehab to actually bring the strength back up in that area?

Thanks guys --

Jared
    531 lb of 531 program?

also how was ur technique and style of benching?

may help in terms of deciding what to do now. id stay safe and figure out what caused it in the first place

Comment

Originally posted by drcrappants View Post
      531 lb of 531 program?
      Is that a serious question? lol

I am curious to bench form though. Also grip width.

Where did it tear? In the pec "tie in" area?

Comment

My vote would be for rehabbing that area that is weak. Perhaps, (and this is a legit question) the reason it tore was due to a muscle imbalance in the first place? I would bet my house... ok... Skip's house, that a large majority of injuries in bodybuilding and powerlifting are due to weak links in the chain (muscle imbalances).
        "It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument." -William G. McAdoo

Comment

I tore my right pec some 6-7 years ago. It occurred during a working set of bb flat bench press. I'd warmed up, but obviously not enough! I never got it fixed, so just trained around it.

From my experience with my injury, I'm still weak in chest. My body rotates to compensate when lifting heavy. And now heavy isn't that heavy at all. I literally had to start from scratch and find exercises that didn't aggravate my injury.

Not sure if this helps at all. Just wanted to share my experience with what you're going through

Comment

Yes, torn on the 531 program - not on 531lbs... Lol it was around 300lbs on my 9th rep or so.

The cause was most definitely some sort of tendinitis. The area had been extremely tight for weeks and I kept trying to work through it. Warming up, foam rolling, etc. It's always a problem when you are making progress and don't want to stop because of something like that - but yes definitely that was the cause, not improper form or anything. It tore right where it had been tight for weeks... Sad part is I wasnt even surprised when it happened.

I've never gone through any official "rehab" in the area - just done exercises that I felt target the area - machine flyes, dumb flye into press, cable crossover.

The tear was in the pec tie-in, absolutely. There is a small gap there, not really noticeable unless I really feel into it compared to my other side.

www.316fit.com

Comment

Fade,
              I am not trying to be a dick, you are obviously experienced and have a great amount of muscle and strength, but you were doing 5-3-1 and you tore it on your 9th rep? Perhaps you were not doing 5-3-1 properly (sets of 5 reps OR 3 Reps OR 1 Rep... do not add them together)!! LOL! Just messing with ya! And I have had this conversation with a few people since I switched over to the dark side (PLing). Trucelt mentioned it as well, that as you lift heavier (relative) weights, you MUST keep those in the lower rep range and stay tight in your form, because by rep 8 or 9 (no matter how tight and spot on you think your form is) your form will start to get sloppy and deteriorate, increasing chances for injury. I think Trucelt even stated that he has had more injuries in Bodybuilding than he has had in Powerlifting because of that reason.
              "It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument." -William G. McAdoo

Comment

Surprised myself that it happened on a higher rep (9) as opposed to a lower rep set. I ruptured my pec on the second rep of the last set I was doing.
                SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

Originally posted by MaxNat View Post
                  Fade,
                  I am not trying to be a dick, you are obviously experienced and have a great amount of muscle and strength, but you were doing 5-3-1 and you tore it on your 9th rep? Perhaps you were not doing 5-3-1 properly (sets of 5 reps OR 3 Reps OR 1 Rep... do not add them together)!! LOL! Just messing with ya! And I have had this conversation with a few people since I switched over to the dark side (PLing). Trucelt mentioned it as well, that as you lift heavier (relative) weights, you MUST keep those in the lower rep range and stay tight in your form, because by rep 8 or 9 (no matter how tight and spot on you think your form is) your form will start to get sloppy and deteriorate, increasing chances for injury. I think Trucelt even stated that he has had more injuries in Bodybuilding than he has had in Powerlifting because of that reason.
                  In 5/3/1 you have an all-out set to push through. When you use a lower training max, sometimes those reps can get a little higher up there on that last set. It was only 295lbs, if I remember right.

It had nothing to do with form, there was tightness in that tie-in for weeks.

www.316fit.com

Comment

Originally posted by LG1 View Post
                    Surprised myself that it happened on a higher rep (9) as opposed to a lower rep set. I ruptured my pec on the second rep of the last set I was doing.
                    When I re-injured it, it happened on a higher rep as well - 7+, can't remember. That one was db incline bench and I believe it had more to do with recruiting those muscles after the rest had been failing and they couldn't handle the load.

www.316fit.com

Comment

Originally posted by fade View Post
                      When I re-injured it, it happened on a higher rep as well - 7+, can't remember. That one was db incline bench and I believe it had more to do with recruiting those muscles after the rest had been failing and they couldn't handle the load.
                      This thread has been a wake-up call for me. I am also dealing with tightness/sorenss in the tie-in of my injured pec and have been debating whether to shut it down or continue to work through it as I am making gains...all the things you mentioned prior.
                      SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

Originally posted by LG1 View Post
                        This thread has been a wake-up call for me. I am also dealing with tightness/sorenss in the tie-in of my injured pec and have been debating whether to shut it down or continue to work through it as I am making gains...all the things you mentioned prior.
                        shut it down! go get some ART on that asap.

www.316fit.com

Comment

nobody has answered the most important question: bench form??

Comment

Originally posted by drcrappants View Post
                            nobody has answered the most important question: bench form??
                            Do you have a problem with reading comprehension?

Read more. Talk less. For fuck's sake.

www.316fit.com

Comment

Hey Fade, how do you think you got the tightness/tendinitis in the first place? Do you remember it happening ( i pulled my lat once getting into a loft and tweeked my back getting out of a car) or did it just start happening one day etc.

Anything you do now (mobility/warm up/warm down/stretching etc) you wished you had done prior to tightness etc.

Asking more for the benefit of others reading and takkng tips from your experience. hope that is ok.

Comment

Working...
                              X