Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Armour Thyroid ?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Armour Thyroid ?

    I had some blood work done and my thyroid was a little off. Doc had me take my temperature every morning and I was consistently 97.3- 97.7. Apparently these are signs of Hypothyroidism so I was prescribed Armour Thyroid. Does anyone use this? Did it have any impact one way or another on your training or body comp?
    Family Guy but also; Old School SoCal, punk rock loving, powerlifting, hardcore gym rat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtLQ73EutoY

  • #2
    From what I read/know, some people naturally run cooler than others and morning temp is not an accurate sign of thyroid problems (although it could be). Have you tried taking your temp in the early to later afternoon to cross-reference the two readings? Plus, I would think that as popel get older and their metabolism slows down even further if they already ran cooler this would impact their temp. readings as well IMO.
    Last edited by LG1; 01-17-2014, 11:49 AM.
    SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

    - Success is the best revenge

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Swaminator View Post
      I had some blood work done and my thyroid was a little off. Doc had me take my temperature every morning and I was consistently 97.3- 97.7. Apparently these are signs of Hypothyroidism so I was prescribed Armour Thyroid. Does anyone use this? Did it have any impact one way or another on your training or body comp?
      Do you have a copy of your test results?
      Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
      kind of a douche

      Comment


      • #4
        Sammich I don't know what some of these numbers or initials stand for but they are grouped together near the thyroid thing so maybe you can decipher:

        All are in "normal range" unless noted

        LD 173
        GGT 43
        TSH 1.39
        T4, Free 1.0
        T3, Free 3.0

        Thyroid panel
        T3 Uptake 40 (HIGH)
        T4 Total 3.8 (LOW)
        Free T4 1.5 (says normal but 1.4 to 3.8 is normal so it is barely normal)
        Family Guy but also; Old School SoCal, punk rock loving, powerlifting, hardcore gym rat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtLQ73EutoY

        Comment


        • #5
          Hmm, was this an endocrinologist specifically who prescribed the med?
          Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
          kind of a douche

          Comment


          • #6
            Pretty shocked without any further testing he was gonnna just throw you on armous. Athough most studies show your thyroid will bounce back even after years of taking something like armour its a big step and should atleast require more testing to find out why its low

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by MachMood View Post
              Pretty shocked without any further testing he was gonnna just throw you on armous. Athough most studies show your thyroid will bounce back even after years of taking something like armour its a big step and should atleast require more testing to find out why its low
              I didn't think it was that big of a deal honestly. I checked the side effects and there were very few listed.
              Family Guy but also; Old School SoCal, punk rock loving, powerlifting, hardcore gym rat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtLQ73EutoY

              Comment


              • #8
                LD: lactate dehydrogenase
                GGT: gamma glutamyl transferase
                #docswholift
                PGY-1 FM
                "No idea is above scrutiny and no people are beneath dignity." -Maajid Nawaz

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by nexa View Post
                  LD: lactate dehydrogenase
                  GGT: gamma glutamyl transferase
                  Well that clears that right up LOL. Nobody from P-Town is supposed to be that smart (cheers from The OC).
                  Family Guy but also; Old School SoCal, punk rock loving, powerlifting, hardcore gym rat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtLQ73EutoY

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Sammich View Post
                    Hmm, was this an endocrinologist specifically who prescribed the med?
                    :juggle:
                    Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
                    kind of a douche

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Sammich View Post
                      :juggle:
                      I don't see that listed on his resume. Osteopathic Medicine, Family Practice, ...
                      Family Guy but also; Old School SoCal, punk rock loving, powerlifting, hardcore gym rat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtLQ73EutoY

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Swaminator View Post
                        Well that clears that right up LOL. Nobody from P-Town is supposed to be that smart (cheers from The OC).
                        I'm not smart and I'm just visiting here for school. And moving out as soon as rotations start in June. LOL

                        Lactate dehydrogenase isn't specific for a particular disease process. It can be elevated in a whole host of things, one of which off the top of my head is tissue damage.

                        GGT is primarily made in the liver. Honestly the only things I know about it is that it can be elevated in binge drinking and if it's normal with an elevated alk phos, you might have an issue with your bones.

                        Originally posted by Swaminator View Post
                        I don't see that listed on his resume. Osteopathic Medicine, Family Practice, ...
                        So, no.

                        Aside from the low core body temp were you complaining about anything else? Did he ask you about any associated symptoms you may have been feeling lately?
                        #docswholift
                        PGY-1 FM
                        "No idea is above scrutiny and no people are beneath dignity." -Maajid Nawaz

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by nexa View Post
                          I'm not smart and I'm just visiting here for school. And moving out as soon as rotations start in June. LOL

                          Lactate dehydrogenase isn't specific for a particular disease process. It can be elevated in a whole host of things, one of which off the top of my head is tissue damage.

                          GGT is primarily made in the liver. Honestly the only things I know about it is that it can be elevated in binge drinking and if it's normal with an elevated alk phos, you might have an issue with your bones.



                          So, no.

                          Aside from the low core body temp were you complaining about anything else? Did he ask you about any associated symptoms you may have been feeling lately?
                          No other symptoms. The entire thing started with the blood test results. Which triggered the temperature thing. My GGT is normal ^^^. It was just the stuff related to the thyroid that was "out of range." I had two different Dr's interpret the results and independent of each other they recommended Armour Thyroid. So, I was just trying to figure out what, if any, impact the medication would have on my training and/or body comp. I guess I will find out myself in the next few weeks as I have been taking it now for a week.
                          Family Guy but also; Old School SoCal, punk rock loving, powerlifting, hardcore gym rat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtLQ73EutoY

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            When someone takes medication for a hypothyroid, their thyroid stops producing thyroid hormones (T3 and T4). This is similar to testicle atrophy for someone taking anabolics. After a while, usually about a year, it’s debatable if the thyroid will ever produce any of these hormones again. So anyone who is borderline hypothyroid, will become full blown hypothyroid forced to take thyroid medication for the rest of their life.
                            Shouldn’t we address the reason why someone is hypothyroid rather than addressing the symptoms? Just a thought
                            Last edited by Bombery; 01-21-2014, 10:00 PM.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X