Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bloodwork Results - Need Some Interpretation

Hey guys........

Well, long story short, I turn 35 in April and I'm about to begin leaning out (again) for summer. I'd like to drop about 30 lbs and stay there for good. The reason I say "again" is that I've had a hard time getting much lower than 12% bodyfat in the past and I always end up getting burnt out around the 230 mark.

Anyway.....this time around I wanted to get my bloodwork checked first. I deal with fatigue now & again, but let's be honest.....who doesn't? My wife & I have 2 children (4 & 2), I have a very inactive desk job, and some nights I don't get the sleep I need. In addition, my family has had a horrible history of cancer, most recently my younger sister's bout with thyroid cancer. So, I wanted to rule out the blood-related issues first. I can deal with the diet/rest/exercise part.

I got bloodwork taken on 1-11-14. It was sort of last minute notice, so I didn't have a chance to stay out of the gym for a full week like what is usually recommended, but I did manage to have about 3 full days off prior to the bloodwork. (As a result, my liver numbers seem a little elevated.)

So......even though most of this is greek to me, here what my full results were (I left out the units):

Free testosterone = 17 (equilibrium dialysis)
    Total testosterone = 583 (LC-MS/MS)

TSH, Supersensitive = 0.92

T4, Free (Free Thyroxine) = 1.05 ng/dL

WBC = 4.4
    RBC = 5.32
    Hemoglobin = 16.8
    Hematocrit = 48
    MCV = 89
    RDW = 10.2
    Platelet = 268
    Polys = 53
    Lymphocytes = 31
    Monocytes = 10
    Eosin = 4
    Basophils = 1
    Absolute neutrophils = 2.3
    Absolute lymphs = 1.4
    MCH = 32
    MCHC = 35

Cholesterol = 220
    Triglycerides = 76
    HDL = 46
    LDL = 159

Albumin = 4.3
    Bilirubin, total = 0.7
    Bilirubin, direct = 0.2
    ALT (GPT) = 44
    AST (GOT) = 29
    Alkaline Phos = 71
    Protein, total = 7.1

Sodium = 142
    Potassium = 4.7
    Chloride = 107
    C02 = 25
    Glucose = 97
    BUN = 21
    Creatinine = 1.4
    Calcium = 9.7
    GFR Estimated = 58
    Osmolarity = 297
    Anion gap = 15

The doctor said that everything came back normal, except for noting that my cholesterol was a little high though. I had 2 bloodwork panels in the past (without test check) and I was at 195, then 165, now 220. That's a little concerning, but my triglycerides are good (actual is 76, ideal is less than 150).

My real curiosity was my test levels seeing how I've never had them checked before. From what I understand, the doctor's "range" usually covers men from 18 to 80 years old......quite the difference! In this case, the doctor said that a range of 240 to 950 is normal. From what I've read (http://www.artofmanliness.com/2013/0...terone-levels/), for a healthy male that is my age, I should try for a level of 600-650 ng/dL. I'm pretty close to that.

More importantly (I think) is my free test. The doctor's range is 9 to 30. I think I should be in the 10-12 range. I'm way up at 17, so that's good, right?

I was expecting lower test levels simply because of how I felt from time to time. (Note - there's no other "performance" issues either.) That doesn't appear to be the case though (I think). Just to note.....I'm a lifetime natural.

Based on my limited knowledge, my takeaway is this.....if I get the weight off there's a good chance that my cholesterol will drop into a more acceptable range. My test & thyroid levels appear to be decent, so there's really nothing holding me back blood-wise. Now it's just focusing on the task at hand.....no need to worry about the unhidden stuff.

So.....for you experts out there.......what do you think?

I wish I had your test level. Cholesterol may be a little high but your trigly are really good. The LDL needs some work to get it down around 100 or so, and HDL is not too bad either. The weight coming off and the diet that is required to do so may fix the cholesterol on its own, you are correct. Liver and kidney function look pretty good. Creatinine level is slightly elevated but that is normal when you are carrying more muscle than the average person used to determine these ranges. Chances are, you are. Looks pretty solid.
    Save yourself 5% on all your TRUENUTRITION orders by using discount code MTM281

My Training Log Here at IM

"Success is neither magical nor mysterious. Success is the natural consequence of consistently applying the basic fundamentals." -Jim Rohn

Comment

Originally posted by mateus View Post
      I wish I had your test level. Cholesterol may be a little high but your trigly are really good. The LDL needs some work to get it down around 100 or so, and HDL is not too bad either. The weight coming off and the diet that is required to do so may fix the cholesterol on its own, you are correct. Liver and kidney function look pretty good. Creatinine level is slightly elevated but that is normal when you are carrying more muscle than the average person used to determine these ranges. Chances are, you are. Looks pretty solid.
      Thanks for the info.....

They told me to get the LDL below 130....I guess 100 is even better. I was a little surprised at the total of 220 seeing how only a few years ago was 165. I'm pretty sure though that my last bloodwork was done when I was down around 230 lbs.....that my goal now.

I can't complain about my test levels considering how much you hear about low test levels nowadays. They're normal I suppose......

Comment

Hemoglobin is a little high but hematocrit and RBCs are in range so I wouldn't sweat that much. Other than cholesterol, I don't see anything that stands out. Get that LDL down, though, into range as soon as you can.

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
        Instagram: @intensemuscle
        YouTube: TEAMSKIP
        TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Originally posted by Ken "Skip" Hill View Post
          Hemoglobin is a little high but hematocrit and RBCs are in range so I wouldn't sweat that much. Other than cholesterol, I don't see anything that stands out. Get that LDL down, though, into range as soon as you can.

Skip
          I eat a fairly low-carb diet with added fats (natural PB, EVOO, a few fish oil caps) and a Skipload on the weekends. I also tend to follow an intermittent fasting protocol where I eat from about noon until 9pm each day (besides the Skipload). I know that losing the excess weight is a no brainer, but are there any supplement recommendations for lowering LDL?

Comment

Working...
          X