Not sure how to proceed...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not sure how to proceed...

...with dieting down. I have been trying to lean out for the last 4-6 weeks and have found that what worked a few years ago just does not work very well for me anymore. Seems as though my weight fluctuates 3-7 lbs up and down but that is about it. Not looking, or asking, for anyone to just layout a nutrition plan and tell me what to do. What I am asking for is just some other ideas that I can fool around with/test. Want to lean down and stay there.

Few stats:
    38yo
    223 lbs this am
    6'1"
    Training over 6 years, decent amount of muscle
    If I am guessing, 14-16% BF
    Train 4 days for an hour
    Early morning fasted LISS 3-4x a week. Eat Pro/Fat 60 min later

Typical weekday diet is almost identical everyday. This is mainly because of work and it is just easy to cook in bulk and eat the same stuff. The meals have been the same stuff throughout all of this but I have experimented with the amounts of the food and macros to see what will work best.

Typical lifting day.
    5am 45 min LISS

7am 1 can tuna, 2 tbsp almond butter

10:30 7oz ground turkey breast/ground chicken breast mix, 3 cups spring greens with EVOO and Balsamic Vinegar

12:00 Pre/During/Post WO: BuzzSaw, 30g Pepto, 2 scoops Karboload

2pm: 7oz ground turkey breast/ground chicken breast mix, 1 potato (russet or sweet), 1 cup cooked brown rice, 2 tbsp European or Grass Fed salted butter

6pm: 6-9oz of some meat. chicken, steak, fish, etc. less than 30g carbs

9pm: 2 whole eggs, 1.5 cups egg whites, 1/4 feta cheese, spinach

The meals at night will vary but usually are very similar in macros. I have messed with total kcals and moving fats/carbs around. The non-training days are similar with a few less calories and less carbs more fats. I find that in order to keep the scale moving I have to get the kcals down around 2,000. That just seems too low for my size. Thoughts??
    Save yourself 5% on all your TRUENUTRITION orders by using discount code MTM281

My Training Log Here at IM

"Success is neither magical nor mysterious. Success is the natural consequence of consistently applying the basic fundamentals." -Jim Rohn

Have you thought of introducing a SKIP load day?
    SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

I have in the past. Not in the last few months though. I DEFINITELY DO NOT have any objections to it

"Success is neither magical nor mysterious. Success is the natural consequence of consistently applying the basic fundamentals." -Jim Rohn

Comment

Have you considered a HIIT cardio session 1-2 times per week instead of the LISS?
        So what is your total, F,C,P?
        2005 HOA Natural Classic
        2006 OCB Midwest
        2007 ABA Natural Illinois
        2008 HOA Natural Classic
        NPC Mid-Illinois
        NPC Midwest Open
        NPC Natural Grand Prix
        2012 NGA Clash of the Titans
        USPA Illinois State
        NGA Heart of America
        NGA Clash of the Titans

SAVE 5% ON YOUR NEXT ORDER FROM www.truenutrition.com order - Use Code RHB606

Comment

2k kcals isn't necessarily too low. And if you're not losing weight then that indicates that you may not be in a caloric defecit - if you're not looking leaner and you're not losing weight then that would tell me that you need to either reduce your caloric intake or increase your activity level to create a bigger deficit.

What type of job do you have - are you active throughout the day or do you have an office job where you're sedentary for most of the day?

You could start by reducing your calories on your non-training days (or least most of them). For example, if you're currently maintaining weight at a certain number of kcals, you weight train 4 days per week, and have a target of 1lb weight loss per week then you could try subtracting 350 kcals from each training day and 700 kcals from each non-training day (3500 less kcals over the course of the week).

I usually have very little carbs on my non-training days as well, as they're not really needed - I have a pretty big differential in kcals between my training days and non-training days, even when looking to add weight, and the difference is almost entirely due to less carbohydrates on non-training days.
          moco
          IM Moderator/Intense Muscle Competitor
          Last edited by moco; 01-13-2014, 02:26 PM.

2017 NPC National Championships Classic Physique, Class D - 4th Place
          2017 NPC New England Championships Classic Physique, Class C - 1st Place
          2017 NPC East Coast Cup Classic Physique, Tall Class - 1st Place & Overall
          2015 Arnold Amateur Men's Classic Bodybuilding, Tall Class - 4th Place
          2013 NPC Europa Battle of Champions - 1st Place Novice Heavyweight, 2nd Place Open Light-Heavyweight

Comment

Originally posted by breck View Post
            Have you considered a HIIT cardio session 1-2 times per week instead of the LISS?
            So what is your total, F,C,P?
            Thought about incorporating that on Wed and Saturday maybe. I have battle ropes, a prowler, and could also try a BB complex at the gym. Calorie info attached in pic. That is an average day for lifting.

EDIT: pic too small. 2482 total. 90/188/231 F/C/P
            Attached Files
            mateus
            ISOM Old School Winner November 2013
            Last edited by mateus; 01-13-2014, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by moco View Post
              2k kcals isn't necessarily too low. And if you're not losing weight then that indicates that you may not be in a caloric defecit - if you're not looking leaner and you're not losing weight then that would tell me that you need to either reduce your caloric intake or increase your activity level to create a bigger deficit.

What type of job do you have - are you active throughout the day or do you have an office job where you're sedentary for most of the day?

You could start by reducing your calories on your non-training days (or least most of them). For example, if you're currently maintaining weight at a certain number of kcals, you weight train 4 days per week, and have a target of 1lb weight loss per week then you could try subtracting 350 kcals from each training day and 700 kcals from each non-training day (3500 less kcals over the course of the week).

I usually have very little carbs on my non-training days as well, as they're not really needed - I have a pretty big differential in kcals between my training days and non-training days, even when looking to add weight, and the difference is almost entirely due to less carbohydrates on non-training days.
              I think you hit the nail on the head with the job part. I sit at a desk most of the day. Have to set reminders on my computer that say "get you ass up an walk around!"

I guess I am just really paranoid about underfeeding with the lower kcal range. Not really warranted by anything other than paranoia. I try to have almost no carbs on Saturday because it is really easy socially. Sunday is not as easy which is why the refeed always worked so well on that day for me. I may try to throw that back in once things start to move again, or would you suggest throwing it back in now to help fire things up?

Comment

Originally posted by mateus View Post
                I think you hit the nail on the head with the job part. I sit at a desk most of the day. Have to set reminders on my computer that say "get you ass up an walk around!"

I guess I am just really paranoid about underfeeding with the lower kcal range. Not really warranted by anything other than paranoia. I try to have almost no carbs on Saturday because it is really easy socially. Sunday is not as easy which is why the refeed always worked so well on that day for me. I may try to throw that back in once things start to move again, or would you suggest throwing it back in now to help fire things up?
                Well how long were you losing weight for before you stalled? Do you think that your metabolism needs the boost? How depleted are you?

I'd most likely start with reducing your calories - and then if you hit your target then start incorporating the loads.

2017 NPC National Championships Classic Physique, Class D - 4th Place
                2017 NPC New England Championships Classic Physique, Class C - 1st Place
                2017 NPC East Coast Cup Classic Physique, Tall Class - 1st Place & Overall
                2015 Arnold Amateur Men's Classic Bodybuilding, Tall Class - 4th Place
                2013 NPC Europa Battle of Champions - 1st Place Novice Heavyweight, 2nd Place Open Light-Heavyweight

Comment

Well how long were you losing weight for before you stalled? Do you think that your metabolism needs the boost? How depleted are you?

I'd most likely start with reducing your calories - and then if you hit your target then start incorporating the loads.
                  Agreed...You really aren't taking in many carbs for your size..Granted your fats a decently high though. Is that how you have had success in the past?
                  2005 HOA Natural Classic
                  2006 OCB Midwest
                  2007 ABA Natural Illinois
                  2008 HOA Natural Classic
                  NPC Mid-Illinois
                  NPC Midwest Open
                  NPC Natural Grand Prix
                  2012 NGA Clash of the Titans
                  USPA Illinois State
                  NGA Heart of America
                  NGA Clash of the Titans

SAVE 5% ON YOUR NEXT ORDER FROM www.truenutrition.com order - Use Code RHB606

Comment

I was losing at a decent rate. Base lining on Wednesday like I should and losing about around a pound, pound and a half every week. Sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less, but it was dropping. I brought it down from 231 to 204. That was over a year ago though.

Originally posted by breck View Post
                    Agreed...You really aren't taking in many carbs for your size..Granted your fats a decently high though. Is that how you have had success in the past?
                    Not so much. It was more cyclical with the carbs/fats than it is now. I did try that initially and I really never went anywhere. Now, I never went really low with the cals because I knew from the past that I needed more than where I was headed so I started to play with the fats and carbs some which is where I am at today. around 180-200 carbs and 70-90 fats.

Comment

I have some ideas, but I want to wait and see who chimes in. My first question would be, how long have you been stuck?
                      1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
                      2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
                      2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
                      2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
                      2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
                      2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

Truenutrition.com
                      Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Today is week 5. I started at 225 and got as low as 217, maybe 216. 223.3 this morning lol. Now, I will also say that I have changed what I do and take pre/intra/post, it is very possible that I have put on a little muscle. Actually I am almost positive of it from the mirror. That may explain a pound, maybe 2. Just figured I would throw that out there.

Comment

i know this may sound silly and off-topic, but have you ever considered changing to a standing desk at work?

i was having lower back problems sitting down for 10-12 hours a day and made the switch. Now that i have adjusted to it, i absolutely love it and will never go back - never feel lethargic, full of energy all day!

On a side note, i did not change my diet, and i lost weight - not intentionally ( i was trying to bulk)

again, i know this is a bit off-topic - but something you may wish to consider

Comment

I would increase cals and carbs and throw some HIT cardio in too..... Get ur metabolism ramped up then slowly start cutting carbs and cals while increasing cardio

Comment

Seems metabolism slowed down.. Increase your calories for some time.. and reduce or eliminate cardio... then slowly introduce the cardio again. and slowly bring the calories down.

Comment

Working...
                              X