Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have You Committed and Unnatural Act today?….

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have You Committed and Unnatural Act today?….

Another article at EliteFTS about Unnatural Acts of Dietary Supplementation:

http://articles.elitefts.com/nutriti...pplementation/

-S
    The Book Has Arrived!
    The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
    2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
    2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

OH HOOOOOOO... Yes.
    Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
    kind of a douche

Comment

I enjoyed this on every much...

Scott - Is there a difference between a water soluble vitamin such as vit. C and a fat soluble vit. E with respect to how these two different vitamins metabolize (if thats the right term)?
      I was under the impression that water soluble vitmains move faster through the body and get excreted after the body absorbs what's "needed" versus fat soluble vitamins that are stored for prolonged periods of time in the body's fat tissue?

I usually take approx 3-4g of vit.C daily and 800mg if vit.E daily.
      LG1
      Super-heavyweight Member
      Last edited by LG1; 12-20-2013, 10:46 AM.
      SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

bump

Comment

This was such a great article, homon. I like your writing style.

Comment

Originally posted by LG1 View Post
            I enjoyed this on every much...

Scott - Is there a difference between a water soluble vitamin such as vit. C and a fat soluble vit. E with respect to how these two different vitamins metabolize (if thats the right term)?
            I was under the impression that water soluble vitmains move faster through the body and get excreted after the body absorbs what's "needed" versus fat soluble vitamins that are stored for prolonged periods of time in the body's fat tissue?
            That's true about water soluble and fat soluble, for sure. There are tons of differences between the two. Vitamin C has roughly a half-life of about 30min, but this can increase if one is deficient.

Vitamin E's metabolism varies by the form of vitamin E and its distribution is pretty complex. Excess can be simply excreted in the bile. Alpha-tocopherol can bind to proteins in the liver, be carried by VLDL, The metabolism is decently complex and supplemental absorption is limited.

I usually take approx 3-4g of vit.C daily and 800mg if vit.E daily.[/QUOTE]

How come?... (You mean IU or mg of Vit E?...)

Originally posted by Big R View Post
            This was such a great article, homon. I like your writing style.
            Thanks, man. Interesting stuff, eh?... I get the feeling in general that we're so very fixated as a society on using vitamin supplements that this sort of stuff is hard to push past the standard paradigm.

-S
            The Book Has Arrived!
            The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

Comment

Vit E. supplementation seems to be outright worthless if not dangerous, especially considering most supplements only contain a limited number of isoforms of Vitamin-E that don't mimic a more normal distribution found in foods. Something like Toco-8 might make more sense, or the Vitamin E found in Orange Triad multi or similar multis, but why not just hit up almonds at that point? The really huge SELECT clinical trial found that Vitamin-E supplementation actually negatively correlated with preventing cancer (meaning there was increased cancer in the treatment group). A few other studies I've looked at have found a similar correlation.

More could be said but a lot would just be repeating Scott's article.

No real need to supplement antioxidants without having an indication for it. Drop the neurosis, eat nutritious foods, drink some coffee, and exercise. But I would agree with a friend who mentioned being on cycle counts as an indication.
              Big R
              Intense Muscle Competitive Powerlifter 1370 Total in the 242 class
              Last edited by Big R; 01-23-2014, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Big R View Post
                Vit E. supplementation seems to be outright worthless if not dangerous, especially considering most supplements only contain a limited number of isoforms of Vitamin-E that don't mimic a more normal distribution found in foods. Something like Toco-8 might make more sense, or the Vitamin E found in Orange Triad multi or similar multis, but why not just hit up almonds at that point? The really huge SELECT clinical trial found that Vitamin-E supplementation actually negatively correlated with preventing cancer (meaning there was increased cancer in the treatment group). A few other studies I've looked at have found a similar correlation.

More could be said but a lot would just be repeating Scott's article.

No real need to supplement antioxidants without having an indication for it. Drop the neurosis, eat nutritious foods, drink some coffee, and exercise. But I would agree with a friend who mentioned being on cycle counts as an indication.
                http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23552052

Jacobs has some interesting articles on "food synergy" that you can find on pubmed.

-S
                The Book Has Arrived!
                The Book Has Arrived!

www.TrueNutrition.com

Comment

Originally posted by homonunculus View Post
                  That's true about water soluble and fat soluble, for sure. There are tons of differences between the two. Vitamin C has roughly a half-life of about 30min, but this can increase if one is deficient.

Vitamin E's metabolism varies by the form of vitamin E and its distribution is pretty complex. Excess can be simply excreted in the bile. Alpha-tocopherol can bind to proteins in the liver, be carried by VLDL, The metabolism is decently complex and supplemental absorption is limited.

I usually take approx 3-4g of vit.C daily and 800mg if vit.E daily.

-S[/QUOTE]

800mg vit. E as a blood thinner, The 3-4g vit. C for the flu season here in the cold Northeast as well as some gurus like Charle sPoliquin touting it as something that helps to prevent DOMS improve recovery.

Comment

Originally posted by LG1 View Post

-S
                    800mg vit. E as a blood thinner, The 3-4g vit. C for the flu season here in the cold Northeast as well as some gurus like Charle sPoliquin touting it as something that helps to prevent DOMS improve recovery.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the answer!

-S
                    The Book Has Arrived!
                    The Book Has Arrived!

www.TrueNutrition.com

Comment

Awesome article H!

Strange you should publish this just as i was thinking about reigning in my supplement use (abuse?).

Mucho thanks!

Stew
                      Some people are so afraid of dying they never actually start living.

Comment

Originally posted by anabolic2k View Post
                        Awesome article H!

Strange you should publish this just as i was thinking about reigning in my supplement use (abuse?).

Mucho thanks!

Stew
                        No problemo!!!

-S
                        The Book Has Arrived!
                        The Book Has Arrived!

www.TrueNutrition.com

Comment

Working...
                        X