Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Something to think about for everyone...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something to think about for everyone...

If you are continually getting injured while training, you're doing it wrong.

If someone is continually getting injured while training, they should not be coaching anyone, because they don't know how to do train correctly themselves.

I keep seeing training logs (not necessarily on here) where supposedly expert lifters are sustaining injury after injury. These are no doubt very strong and accomplished lifters, but IF YOU KEEP GETTING HURT YOU'RE FUCKING DOING SOMETHING WRONG. And if you don't know how to do something correctly yourself, how the hell are you going to teach someone else how to do it?

:hurt:
    Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
    kind of a douche

Lol, very true.

I see this all the time in the gym.... I hurt myself watching them lol!

Originally posted by Sammich View Post
    If you are continually getting injured while training, you're doing it wrong.

If someone is continually getting injured while training, they should not be coaching anyone, because they don't know how to do train correctly themselves.

I keep seeing training logs (not necessarily on here) where supposedly expert lifters are sustaining injury after injury. These are no doubt very strong and accomplished lifters, but IF YOU KEEP GETTING HURT YOU'RE FUCKING DOING SOMETHING WRONG. And if you don't know how to do something correctly yourself, how the hell are you going to teach someone else how to do it?

:hurt:

Comment

What is your definition of "injuries"? Like nagging, reoccurring injuries that can be worked through, or larger stuff? Because I would say many of the people I speak with are always "injured" to some degree. Nagging elbow, shoulder, etc, issues. I can't even remember the last time I would consider myself 100%.

Finding to some degree there is a genetic component as well. Some people are built better structurally to handle this kind of abuse.

Comment

I'm doing it wrong
        Save 5% at TRUEPROTEIN with discount code "MPP883"

Comment

I get your point but there are clear exceptions and I am one of them. I have injured the same disc 7 times and it isn't from anything I am doing "wrong". The fact that I am training "right" and doing everything I can to take care of my back is the only reason I can train at all.

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
          Instagram: @intensemuscle
          YouTube: TEAMSKIP
          TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Originally posted by Imprezivr6 View Post
            What is your definition of "injuries"? Like nagging, reoccurring injuries that can be worked through, or larger stuff? Because I would say many of the people I speak with are always "injured" to some degree. Nagging elbow, shoulder, etc, issues. I can't even remember the last time I would consider myself 100%.

Finding to some degree there is a genetic component as well. Some people are built better structurally to handle this kind of abuse.
            I'm not talking about nagging issues or things like that. I mean major events that take you completely out of commission, and not the same stuff repeatedly. (See below, too.)

Originally posted by Ken "Skip" Hill View Post
            I get your point but there are clear exceptions and I am one of them. I have injured the same disc 7 times and it isn't from anything I am doing "wrong". The fact that I am training "right" and doing everything I can to take care of my back is the only reason I can train at all.

Skip
            On the same note, yeah, I wasn't really talking about one particular issue that keeps flaring up. I am specifically thinking about logs of sponsored lifters on some sites, where quite literally every few months they sustain some sort of major injury that them requires rehabilitation or surgery to correct. One month it's a partially torn hamstring, then torn shoulder tissue, etc.

One thing repeatedly flaring up could be doing it "wrong", or it could be an issue specific to that person, like your (Skip's) back or my right knee. But my point is that you don't fuck up your shoulder and have corrective surgery, then 3 months later tear an ab, then tear something in your knee, etc.

:pizza:
            kind of a douche

Comment

Sammich,, i wouldnt want to get on your bad side!!

I agree though, how can you possibly coach somebody when your slowly morphing yourself into quasimodo.

Look at Dave Tate...destroyed his hips, back to training already and yet I dont see any shoulder injuries/torn pecs etc and the intensity he generates is tremendous.

It all comes down to good form/technique (ingrained with your biomechanics) and not being a dumbass once you hit technical failiure

Comment

Originally posted by martin_h View Post
                Sammich,, i wouldnt want to get on your bad side!!

I agree though, how can you possibly coach somebody when your slowly morphing yourself into quasimodo.

Look at Dave Tate...destroyed his hips, back to training already and yet I dont see any shoulder injuries/torn pecs etc and the intensity he generates is tremendous.

It all comes down to good form/technique (ingrained with your biomechanics) and not being a dumbass once you hit technical failiure
                Maybe I am misunderstanding your post, but hasn't Dave Tate had several MAJOR injuries on varying parts of his body over the years?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
                2010 NPC North Star

Comment

Originally posted by Macho Man View Post
                  Maybe I am misunderstanding your post, but hasn't Dave Tate had several MAJOR injuries on varying parts of his body over the years?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
                  he he he that's what I was thinking. Dave Tate is the perfect example of the opposite of what Sammich was saying..lol

I'm always getting hurt, I blame getting old, high risk exercises and the damn Canadian Cold!
                  If it's not hard it's not worth doing...
                  http://www.facebook.com/HyperforceStrength <--- Follow Hyperforce on Facebook

2004 National Capital Classic - 2nd Middleweight
                  2001 Ottawa Championships - 4th Middleweight
                  2000 Ottawa Championships - 12th Middleweight

Comment

Right, but Dave Tate changed his training to fit his needs.

Comment

Here's something else for you to think about:
                      Does what I say apply to powerlifting as well as bodybuilding? Is there something fundamentally different about the two that would make my statement invalid?
                      kind of a douche

Comment

Dave Tate actually has (had) a congenital deformity of some sort (an abnormal configuration of the joint surfaces) in the hip he had replaced.

Originally posted by Sammich View Post
                        Here's something else for you to think about:
                        Does what I say apply to powerlifting as well as bodybuilding? Is there something fundamentally different about the two that would make my statement invalid?

Sammy, I think you're getting at the fact that bodybuilders have a multitude of choices for working around injuries that are recurring or approaching. A BB'er can select a new exercise if needed on a given day and it won't detract from his goal and the variety can be a very good thing for stimulating growth. The guy who continues to bang away with poor form on exercises that don't suit him and cause injuries might have something to figure out before he starts coaching others. (And of course, there are exceptions like Ken's injury, which can get him if he just gets up off the shitter the wrong way. Ken's got the message about his limitation and working around them quite effectively.)

A PL'er however has just three movements that he / she must master. You can work around them to some degree, but you're not going to get new squat PR's if you're only leg pressing or using a leverage standing squat machine. The training requires movement specificity if you want movement (Big 3) specific improvements. So, less options means higher likelihood of injury if movement mechanics falter or an injury (e.g., outside the gym) sets off a chain of events such that alters biomechanics and activation patterns in training.

The BB'er can take the backroads if the highway is jammed up with traffic. Just go around the issue and get to the stage how ever you need to. (No one's gonna care if you squat or not as long as your wheels look bad ass. )

A PL'er has to stay on the main roads. He can maybe drive on the median a bit or down to the side of the road by using a rack pull, doing front squats, taping an injury, applying liniments, etc. while healing up, but when it comes to meet day, he's got to be on the main thoroughfare: Squat, Bench, Dead.

-S
                        The Book Has Arrived!
                        The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
                        2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
                        2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

Originally posted by homonunculus View Post
                          you're not going to get new squat PR's if you're only leg pressing or using a leverage standing squat machine.
                          Let me play YOU for a min... lol How do you know this to be true? Have you ever tried to set a squat PR with no, or minimal squatting?

If one is technically proficient at squatting, are there no other movements that would translate to the squat, even though you can't "practice" the squat itself?

Comment

Let me play YOU for a min... lol How do you know this to be true? Have you ever tried to set a squat PR with no, or minimal squatting?

If one is technically proficient at squatting, are there no other movements that would translate to the squat, even though you can't "practice" the squat itself?
                            I see where you are going but lets take someone who is proficient squatting and have him do everything but squat for say 10 weeks, does he regress, progress or remain the same?

Comment

In order to set a PR with a competition style squat you would need to replicate the muscle activation patterns of the squat. Until a machine is developed that can do this, I believe the only answer to set a PR with a squat, is to actually squat
                              Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
                              2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
                              2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Working...
                              X